Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 12:17:57 PM EDT
My question for you guys is have a loaded rifle in my car while driving through your state cool law enforcement wise ?

I'm going up to Ohio this weekend and would like to have my AR if the Grand Jury comes out with the Michael Brown decision this weekend. I know my CCW is good in your state and no Duty to inform if I'm pulled over ,but I would really like to have my rifle with me. I don't want to become the next Reginald Denny when I get to Cincinnati if riots start.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be fine in TN but if I'm not mistaken, you'll be screwed in OH with a loaded rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I posted in all the states I'll be driving through for info ,I figured in your state I'd be fine from looking up info on the internet. But it never hurts to ask guys the live in state.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I posted in all the states I'll be driving through for info ,I figured in your state I'd be fine from looking up info on the internet. But it never hurts to ask guys the live in state.
View Quote

I don't believe you can have a round chambered. But you can have a mag in. That's with your carry permit. someone help me out on that. I thought that law changed to allow for carry holders to do that??
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't believe you can have a round chambered. But you can have a mag in. That's with your carry permit. someone help me out on that. I thought that law changed to allow for carry holders to do that??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law changed to anyone who is not prohibited from owning a firearm may carry one loaded in their vehicle. It does not discriminate against long guns or NFA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The law changed to anyone who is not prohibited from owning a firearm may carry one loaded in their vehicle. It does not discriminate against long guns or NFA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the empty chamber requirement was deleted from state law.

Gun in your car?  It's only an issue if you are not legally allowed to own it.  Doesn't matter if it's loaded or not, or if there's a round in the chamber, or not.

Walking around carrying a gun?  You better have a carry permit, and it better be a handgun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Let me put it this way... I had an accident coming back from the range earlier in the year, hydroplaned on a steep grade during a sudden downpour.  I had a 5 gallon bucket of brass in the back seat that spilled EVERYWHERE, including out on the side of the highway as I was opening doors to check on stuff.  When a Tennessee trooper stopped to check on me, he didn't even blink about it, or even care about seeing my carry permit.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Let me put it this way... I had an accident coming back from the range earlier in the year, hydroplaned on a steep grade during a sudden downpour.  I had a 5 gallon bucket of brass in the back seat that spilled EVERYWHERE, including out on the side of the highway as I was opening doors to check on stuff.  When a Tennessee trooper stopped to check on me, he didn't even blink about it, or even care about seeing my carry permit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prentice Cooper?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Prentice Cooper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prentice Cooper?

Nope, coming down I-24 from over by Sewanee, there's a commercial range over that way that I rented out for a class/event.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Very similar thing happened to me. The Trooper saw the loaded AK in the back and said "nice rifle".
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I told the trooper that I had a carry permit, and he immediately replied that he didn't care and started to continue with his investigation of the crash.

Before he could go any farther, I said "No, IT is not on me, IT is in my car." (while pointing at my demolished car).  The guy that hit me, along with the driver of the other vehicle that he hit, were clearly going to the hospital (they had both rolled), and two separate sets of firemen (with at least one of them having an EMT) had already come by to check me and my daughter, so I was worried about pulling a gun out of my car with that many people around.

The trooper looked at my car, then said "Do what you gotta do.", before he walked back toward the other cars.  I dug a spare IWB holster out of the glovebox, then pulled the pistol out of the holster I had clipped to the bottom of the driver's seat.  While I had my pants unfastened to put the holster on, the trooper came walking back up to me with a few more questions.  He continued as if nothing unusual was going on, as I finished 'what I had to do'.  Never asked to see my permit, just my driver's license for his accident report.

ETA:  Nashville police may have a completely different reaction.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes. You can have any firearm, concealed or open, loaded or unloaded in your car without a permit as long as you are over 18, own the vehicle yourself, and are legally allowed to own a firearm. You're good to go.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Walking around carrying a gun?  You better have a carry permit, and it better be a handgun.
View Quote

Not quite. With a carry permit, you can also carry a loaded long gun as long as it isn't chambered.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not quite. With a carry permit, you can also carry a loaded long gun as long as it isn't chambered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely, positively wrong.

You can not carry a long gun on your person in public in TN with ammo also on your person. Period. In fact, you'd almost certainly be in violation if a companion has the ammo on him.

A carry permit affects carry  of a handgun on the person only, does not relate to carry of long guns on the person in any way.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You can not carry a long gun on your person in public in TN with ammo also on your person. Period. In fact, you'd almost certainly be in violation if a companion has the ammo on him.

A carry permit affects carry  of a handgun on the person only, does not relate to carry of long guns on the person in any way.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

That's weird, because my hard copy of the TN code said otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Would be quite interested in seeing a quote.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

The empty chamber on long guns was deleted in the last change in the law.

Before it was deleted, it still did not allow carry of long guns on your person and only applied to permit holders having a long gun in their vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Before it was deleted, it still did not allow carry of long guns on your person and only applied to permit holders having a long gun in their vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yup. Exactly so.

It hasn't been lawful to carry a loaded long gun on the person in public in TN since 1870 or so.

- OS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top