Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2014 4:50:00 PM EDT
I had female friend in town this weekend who had never shot before, we had a tight schedule of all the stuff she wanted to see and do (including shooting), so we opted for Nashville Armory since I live close.

When we got to our lane the RSO (don't know his name) is an older guy, I'm guessing a Vietnam Vet Drill Sargent/Instructor.  I have been to NA many times, he even recognized me from past visits, but still talked very rudely to us before we started, which I didn't give a fuck about, but bothered my friend and she admitted it made her nervous.  

About 30 minutes later a couple of guys come to the lane next to us and the RSO did the same thing to them.  Their pistol and rifle bags were sitting on the bench and of them turned to open it and the RSO full on YELLED at them about how they've touched the guns too soon and that was the first of their only warning before he kicked them out.  This made my friend even more uncomfortable and she said she wasn't going to shoot anymore, was ready to leave, etc.  I honestly didn't see the problem of the guys getting their magazines loaded, etc.  I was watching them pretty closely.

Now I'm not going to say safety isn't the most important thing with firearms, especially in a confined area like an indoor range with multiple people shooting.  But when you are barking at patrons, and making inexperienced shooters uncomfortable it's a MAJOR turn off to them and make it a much less fun experience.  She was fine once we left and said she had fun and wants to get into it more.  

The last thing I want to see happen is someone get hurt by not following the four basic rules, but the next to last thing I want to happen is a bad experience and become afraid of firearms or turned off to the sport/hobby.

I hate complaining and I don't plan on talking to NA about it, there is nothing to be gained, but I'm going to find another venue to shoot at, especially when taking a new shooter.  Like Strategic Edge in Chapel Hill or Owl Hollow in Franklin.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Solution: Go to Gun's and Leather instead.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They don't allow rifles
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They don't allow rifles
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't allow rifles

The one in Greenbriar does.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard other people complain about the range officers at Nashville Armory, I avoid them and just go to Guns & Leather or private land.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
NA wanted to review my NFA paperwork outside of my viewing area, I told them they can see it as its their place / their rules, but to take it out of my sight - nope.

Ended up leaving and not shooting that weekend as Owl Hollow was closed for the weekend (1st full weekend)

Charlie's place is where I shoot most weekends, but the fudds are getting thick and some of the regulars are getting quite annoying. Was told by a regular this weekend that the Sig P250 is now the unofficial .45 of the SEALS and that Beretta can't do business with the .gov anymore..... membership has gone up to $90 as well.

With that said, I think I'm going to take a look at Strategic Edge, anyone a member there? how are the facilities? the drive is an additional 20 min drive, but if its a nicer area and has a pistol pit with steel (where I can move around) it will be so worth it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I say we all go up there some Saturday with the most obnoxious guns we can find.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I say we all go up there some Saturday with the most obnoxious guns we can find.  
View Quote

Nagant pistol
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nagant pistol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nagant pistol

I was thinking more like a 2" barreled S&W 500.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a 10" barreled SIG 556 with a muzzle brake. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe it. That's it in my avatar.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Strategic Edge......

I'm a member out there and don't go enough.....

Most of the folks out there shoot distance ......There's 2 pistol pits 50 yds deep (one with steel, plate rack, dueling tree) and a carbine pit (100 yds long, but still could be used with pistol)....there are barricades, etc.... ...I tend to go weekday afternoons and never have an issue with all 3 pits being taken up.....

Just talking to the owners seem like reasonable guys......They've already extended the rifle range ( from 600 to 1250 yds), just added the carbine pit and a 5 stand trap.....Not sure what the next plans are, but they ask the members what they want and work to accommodate it....
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NA wanted to review my NFA paperwork outside of my viewing area, I told them they can see it as its their place / their rules, but to take it out of my sight - nope.

Ended up leaving and not shooting that weekend as Owl Hollow was closed for the weekend (1st full weekend)

Charlie's place is where I shoot most weekends, but the fudds are getting thick and some of the regulars are getting quite annoying. Was told by a regular this weekend that the Sig P250 is now the unofficial .45 of the SEALS and that Beretta can't do business with the .gov anymore..... membership has gone up to $90 as well.

With that said, I think I'm going to take a look at Strategic Edge, anyone a member there? how are the facilities? the drive is an additional 20 min drive, but if its a nicer area and has a pistol pit with steel (where I can move around) it will be so worth it.

View Quote

I just took an 11.5" SBR there, they didn't ask for a thing.  What was their reason for wanting to review it, specifically out of your sight?

Fin, or anyone for that matter, hit me up if you want to go shooting this weekend, I'm not a member at either place but always looking to go shooting with someone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Strategic Edge......

Most of the folks out there shoot distance ......There's 2 pistol pits 50 yds deep (one with steel, plate rack, dueling tree) and a carbine pit (100 yds long, but still could be used with pistol)....there are barricades, etc.... ...I tend to go weekday afternoons and never have an issue with all 3 pits being taken up.....

Just talking to the owners seem like reasonable guys......They've already extended the rifle range ( from 600 to 1250 yds), just added the carbine pit and a 5 stand trap.....Not sure what the next plans are, but they ask the members what they want and work to accommodate it....
View Quote

That's pretty cool.  Do you know how it compares to Owl Hollow?  I've never been to either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Strategic Edge......

View Quote

Keep talking....

I just bought land to shoot but it'll be a white before I get things setup. In the meantime, tell me more about this place. Where is it located and how much does it cost?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.strategicedge.us/gun-range
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Strategic Edge is awesome. I only used the bays and the shorter rifle range (300m) but they were great. The pistol bays are worth the price of membership alone.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I  can't stand public ranges, I ended up buying land  and now have my own range.  The only time I get yelled at is when I don't give my wife more bullets.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I  can't stand public ranges, I ended up buying land  and now have my own range.  The only time I get yelled at is when I don't give my wife more bullets.
View Quote

You cost me a lot of money. Our little chat at the last HTF shoot got me motivated... (In related news, we just closed on 11 acres!)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You cost me a lot of money. Our little chat at the last HTF shoot got me motivated... (In related news, we just closed on 11 acres!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhhh you both are rubbing off on me and I havent even met you guys.

I will not buy, I will not......
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a member of Strategic Edge.  I love the place and everyone I've met has been really nice so far.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Charlie's would be a lot more fun if we could run carbines in the pistol pit, but I could see the Fudds and dummies like Mr. P250(I met him once, too... What a knucklehead. I wonder what his screen-name is?) shooting each other to pieces. The rise in member fees pushes his range awfully close to "not worth it given how much I shoot" territory.

I live right up the road from Cheatham TWRA range, but I'll never go there again without backup.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Party at John's house!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's up my new best friend?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The land is about 10 minutes west of where you and I crossed paths.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did we cross paths?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I seem to recall pulling up beside you and making a scene about your BFL.

Nevermind, that was Teague.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't remember that.  What kind of car was it?  And what road?

Edit:  Ok, thought was going crazy... well, crazier.

ETA2:  I don't think anyone has spotted me yet
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't remember that.  What kind of car was it?  And what road?

Edit:  Ok, thought was going crazy... well, crazier.

ETA2:  I don't think anyone has spotted me yet
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Geez, get a room, you two...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just took an 11.5" SBR there, they didn't ask for a thing.  What was their reason for wanting to review it, specifically out of your sight?

Fin, or anyone for that matter, hit me up if you want to go shooting this weekend, I'm not a member at either place but always looking to go shooting with someone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a draco sbr and a 11.5 AR.

Buddy I was with had his mk18.

This was in February of this year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm a member of Strategic Edge.  I love the place and everyone I've met has been really nice so far.
View Quote

So it's worth the coin?

What's the steel like - pistol and rifle wise.

It's a straight shot down the road from me - bout 35 min or so.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So it's worth the coin?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's worth the coin?

Yeah, to me it is definitely worth the cost.  I'll be honest, I haven't even used the pistol ranges but they look nice...LOL

The rifle ranges have different sizes of steel which is nice.  Looks like they have membership sign up this weekend starting at noon.  You should check them out.  I know you'd like the place.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, to me it is definitely worth the cost.  I'll be honest, I haven't even used the pistol ranges but they look nice...LOL

The rifle ranges have different sizes of steel which is nice.  Looks like they have membership sign up this weekend starting at noon.  You should check them out.  I know you'd like the place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's worth the coin?

I'll try and get out there in the next few weeks, slammed this weekend.

Will they let you check out the facilities (supervised) before pulling the trigger so to say.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Charlie's would be a lot more fun if we could run carbines in the pistol pit, but I could see the Fudds and dummies like Mr. P250(I met him once, too... What a knucklehead. I wonder what his screen-name is?) shooting each other to pieces. The rise in member fees pushes his range awfully close to "not worth it given how much I shoot" territory.

I live right up the road from Cheatham TWRA range, but I'll never go there again without backup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Backup at Cheatham?    I live in Sango and have never been.  Is it that bad?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Don't leave stuff at the bench unattended at Cheatham.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't leave stuff at the bench unattended at Cheatham.
View Quote

And always have a loaded gun on you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#37]
The weekends are when the local thugz and tweakers go to Cheatham to shoot their new Hi-Points. Now that it's autumn the Fudds will be there shooting 12" groups at 50 yards and high-fiving. Then, if you're lucky, you can have an old skinny white guy  threaten to shoot you when you tell him that his granddaughters picked up your brass. I may or may have not told him that his getting killed over 50 pieces of .45 brass was stupid, but if he got any closer and didn't shut up that it was going to happen.

Fuckin' hate that place.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn.  Sounds like a real turd hole.  I'll stick to the Mont County complex then.   Been curious to see if the place at TN Custom Gunsmithing or whatever it was is still open.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Sucks to hear about NA being a bummer.. I've got a buddy coming in town on Tuesday from Arkansas and was thinking about shooting there.

I wonder if they're always douches or if ole dude was just having a bad day..
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Damn.  Sounds like a real turd hole.  I'll stick to the Mont County complex then.   Been curious to see if the place at TN Custom Gunsmithing or whatever it was is still open.
View Quote

Custom Gunsmithing isn't bad but it's small. I've never had an issue out there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Sucks to hear about NA being a bummer.. I've got a buddy coming in town on Tuesday from Arkansas and was thinking about shooting there.

I wonder if they're always douches or if ole dude was just having a bad day..
View Quote
I've never had a bad experience there. The one old RSO even helps me find brass if I tell him I'm keeping mine.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Unfortunately, NA is also plagued by gunshop buffoonery.

I avoid it in favor of private land or Guns and Leather.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I've personally never had a problem at Nashville Armory and actually quite like it.  The range is clean, well lit, and in my opinion, well managed.  The ROs have always been courteous and pleasant to chat with in my experience.  Yes it is more expensive than most, but more convenient to Nashville then about any other shooting range.  I've also never been asked about my firearms other than to check my rifle ammo.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I go to NA, because it is a convenient location.   Never had a problem with the range or RO's.   I have used my SBR, and suppressors many times, and never had any issues.   Yeah a little pricey, but I don't mind paying for the convenience.

RB
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume the Brass Stables...

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#46]
The olnly issue I havd at NA was when I came in to buy a Ruger .22 pistol.  Money in hand.  I couldn't get anyone at the counter to help me.  I was literally standing in front of the glass where the pistol was for 20 min.  I saw them help 2-3 people that were not even there before me.  Finally guy came over and I bought the pistol.  The guy that kept ignoring me looked like he felt bad haha.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The olnly issue I havd at NA was when I came in to buy a Ruger .22 pistol.  Money in hand.  I couldn't get anyone at the counter to help me.  I was literally standing in front of the glass where the pistol was for 20 min.  I saw them help 2-3 people that were not even there before me.  Finally guy came over and I bought the pistol.  The guy that kept ignoring me looked like he felt bad haha.
View Quote

That's when you reach waaay down in your guts, tighten your abs, then bark firmly, but without yelling...

"HEY, BUDDY... YOU GOT A SECOND?"

It works well every time I've used it. Of course, big Sioux Indians tend to stand out a bit when we raise out voices.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's when you reach waaay down in your guts, tighten your abs, then bark firmly, but without yelling...

It works well every time I've used it. Of course, big Sioux Indians tend to stand out a bit when we raise out voices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But people that know you know you are such a soft spoken pussycat.
Not that I would tell anyone here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I recently heard some shit about an SO being an asshole to a buddy of mine. I don't go there any more.

I have steel in my backyard for fun.

When I teach the TN HCP course I use Charlie's upper range. I haven't been on the lower ranges at Owl Hollow for some time now.

I've heard good things about Strategic Edge, but it's expensive and they have limited number of memberships. But if you wanna shoot long range, then that's the place to go.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not your buddy, pal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top