Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2014 10:01:18 AM EDT
Thinking of moving up to TN, have a FL CCW. I know they recipical (sp)

But what are the requirements to get a TN CCW once I move (if). I know in FLa a DD214 works in lew of going to Hunters Safety course. What about TN?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.
All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted.
Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.
A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.
View Quote

How Do I Obtain Military Training Exception for the eight hour handgun training course required by TCA 39-17-1351?
The Department of Safety and Homeland Security is mandated to require applicants to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. An applicant is not required to comply with the firing range and classroom requirements if within five (5) years from the date of handgun carry permit application the applicant successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.
There have been many interpretations of this statute over the last several years. Letters have been submitted from commanding officers, DD-214 forms, military ID cards, Honorable Discharges and General Discharges as verification of training.
On March 4, 2011 this process was clarified with the standardized usage of the Department of Defense form (DD-2586) to document handgun training of not less than four (4) hours. At that time we were informed that all branches of service completed a standard verification of military experience and training on the DD-2586.
On December 8, 2012 the Department was informed of two forms used by the Army which capture combat pistol training (DA-88-R and DA5704-R). These forms can now be used to verify military handgun training.
On March 13, 2013 the Department was informed of a form used by the Air Force to capture the results of small arms qualification training (AF Form 522). This form can now be used to verify military handgun training.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

But what are the requirements to get a TN CCW once I move (if). I know in FLa a DD214 works in lew of going to Hunters Safety course. What about TN?
View Quote

In TN, a hunters safety course has nothing to do with our carry laws. Also, TN has a carry permit, not a CCW. We don't have to be concealed in TN, that's a whole nuther discussion......

The hunters safety course is required here in order to get a hunting license, if you were born after about 1969 or 1970. I was exempt, but when my son got his license, I took the class with him.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

1. Find someone who teaches the certified TN permit safety class.

2. Take the worthless "safety" class; about 6 hours with some range time.  Waste of time, IMO, but required. ($40 plus 16 miles one way)

3. Take safety class cert to DMV in your county (there is only one in Lincoln county); (16 miles one way - class was across from DMV, class on Sunday, DMV closed - another trip required!).  Oh, and another $120 for the application.

4. Find out where your fingerprints can be taken.  One place in Lincoln county, a couple miles down the road from the DMV - BUT! - only open two days a week.  Another 20 mile trip one way!

5. Get fingerprints taken.  In Lincoln county, it's where they have former prisoners do work release - great!  Around a bunch of former criminals and you can't carry (sign on the door)!

6. Wait about 30 days for your permit/CCW/whatever the fuck they call it to come via US mail.

So about 110 miles driving plus $160 or so; yea, "... shall not be infringed..." my ass!

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2. Take the worthless "safety" class; about 6 hours with some range time.  Waste of time, IMO, but required. ($40 plus 16 miles one way)

3. Take safety class cert to DMV in your county (there is only one in Lincoln county); (16 miles one way - class was across from DMV, class on Sunday, DMV closed - another trip required!).  Oh, and another $120 for the application.

4. Find out where your fingerprints can be taken.  One place in Lincoln county, a couple miles down the road from the DMV - BUT! - only open two days a week.  Another 20 mile trip one way!

5. Get fingerprints taken.  In Lincoln county, it's where they have former prisoners do work release - great!  Around a bunch of former criminals and you can't carry (sign on the door)!

6. Wait about 30 days for your permit/CCW/whatever the fuck they call it to come via US mail.

So about 110 miles driving plus $160 or so; yea, "... shall not be infringed..." my ass!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great.... Where im looking at property, its going to be much worse, Ill be wishing it was only 20miles, lol. I cant believe they dont allow DD-214. I guess everything is just much easier in Florida.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The good news:  Look up TN Land Owner Exemption.  Essentially, you and your family can hunt on your own property without a game license.  You have to follow all other regulations though.

Here's one page:  TN Land Owner Exemption

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Coming from a former Floridian turned Volunteer, you should know that Tn permit only gives permission to carry a hand gun, as opposed to Florida's weapon permit. Also, your DD214 is worthless for your HCP: you have to take the pointless safety course. I'm not a veteran, so it didn't matter to me, but my dad is a former Marine with a combat tour in Vietnam: not good enough for the state of Tennessee- he had to sit through a day of "how to clean your pistol" training. On a more positive note, I feel that Tennessee is more 2A friendly than even the Gunshine State.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Having been my battalion's go-to guy for pistol classes, now running 9mm (among others) ranges on Fort Campbell for a day job, and having gotten my HCP on a commander's memo, I can safely say there are a whole lot of people in the Army I would NOT trust with a loaded pistol walking around unsupervised.

On OIF 1, we had a Ranger-tabbed infantry captain who NDéd his 9mm on three occasions- eventually the battalion commander took it away from him for the rest of the tour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top