Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Live in Marion AR. There is only one neighborhood that is nice. It's called River Trace. It's in the country part of Marion. Your commute to Mud Island will be 15 mins.

There are no other options unless you want to drive over 45 mins each way.

Also, there are tons of dirt farm roads to ride  4 wheelers on. You can ride for miles.

Marion schools are probably better than most in the Memphis area.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like I will be flying down next week to check out the area, any suggestions on what areas I should check out to live at? If I get time anyways, is going to be more of a business trip.
View Quote

go east to Jackson, then continue on until you reach the Davidson county line.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like I will be flying down next week to check out the area, any suggestions on what areas I should check out to live at? If I get time anyways, is going to be more of a business trip.

So thanks to the deutsch that started a fire in Chicago all my flights were cancelled last week.  I am finally flying out tomorrow to start my new position and check the area out.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget to blow the bridge over the Tennessee River after you get across. That'll slow them down a little bit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Waitforit,

please check your IM.

Too bad you weren't here last Saturday, you could have had lunch and a cold one with us.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Well.... looks like I'm going to be a tennesseeen.  I thought Germantown seemed decent, Memphis seemed kinda shitty but I don't like downtown areas anyway so not that big a deal to me anyway.

I can't get over the fact that the pyramid thingy is going to be a bass pro shops! When I got in I was like what is that pyramid thingy over there? And then I was like what! That's going to be a bass pro?

Anyway looking forward to meeting some of you guys! Seem like a really good group of guys down there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I work within view of the Pyramid myself.  Who knows when BP will have it ready.  Was supposed to be by the end of this year but I think that's a pipe dream at this point.  It's sat dormant for about the last seven years.  Last event there was...Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band in '07.  Rawk.

Send me a pm when you get settled in.  I'll take you to lunch downtown and show you some cool places.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok guys I have now spent some time here and we are moving down in November.   We are looking at the east Cordova area but in also interested in Atoka just don't know about that drive.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd be hesitant to buy in Cordova.  Rent, for sure.....oh wait, I am now

It's a shame.  There are a ton of nice, well built houses in Cordova.  But the area is going downhill and I'm not sure what will arrest the slide.

Arlington is literally 8-10 min up 40, along with areas of Lakeland or Eads.  If I were to buy a house, again, with an eye on schools - I'd pick Arlington.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Be very careful buying in Cordova real estate has taken a major side in that area,  they don't call it dirty dova for nothing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Please, please, please don't do Cordova.  Please.

My first house was there, I was very lucky to sell it.   That was 8 years ago and slime if my friends are still trying to sell there's...

Plus the area isn't as nice as it was a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
OP still hasn't made an offer on my house.

Don't you want to live on a golf course?

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't golf captain

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't golf captain  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't golf captain  

I've lived here 13 years...and I don't golf.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I think we have decided on the Oakland area.   Completely different feel out that way.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, yes it is.  And it's not Cordova!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Oakland would be much better. Buying a house in Cordova would be a bad decision. Don't rule out renting a house in East Memphis for a year. If you decide later you wish you had done different after buying a place it can be a long process to sell.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Cordova is a great place to live. I strongly encourage you to buy a house there. In fact you should buy mine

I'll even give you a good reference to join the neighborhood watch/militia.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I think we have decided on the Oakland area.   Completely different feel out that way.
View Quote

Holy long commute Batman!

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The traffic in Memphis is way better than minneapolis! I can't even drive thru the city here without hitting major traffic on a Sunday here anymore!

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The traffic in Memphis is way better than minneapolis! I can't even drive thru the city here without hitting major traffic on a Sunday here anymore!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait until winter
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm browsing this forum because we are thinking of a move to Knoxville.

In February of 1998 work sent my wife and I to Memphis for 2 months of work trying to get me to move there.

It sucked.

Coming from Fresno, Calif. The city is BIG. The racial tension was bigger. Traffic was horrible. Crime was rampant. Things only got worse I've seen and heard. Even though her best friend lived in Bartlett we decided to move to Martinsburg, WVa. A pretty good choice.

Several people I've worked with for 20+ years moved to Memphis, a lot of them went to Miss. The ones in Memphis hate it.

So now the wife is deceased and I'm thinking retirement in 3-5 years. My oldest and her family want to move to Knoxville in 3 years. I'll probably join them.

OP, good luck with your move! People stuck in Memphis I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think we have decided on the Oakland area. Completely different feel out that way.

Seriously dude, I'd make that drive from Oakland to Mud Island a few times before signing anything.  Your only real option for your drive is down I-40 and as soon as there's one tiny accident, you're screwed.

Also, you will hit heavy Sunday traffic here too...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Seriously dude, I'd make that drive from Oakland to Mud Island a few times before signing anything.  Your only real option for your drive is down I-40 and as soon as there's one tiny accident, you're screwed.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/f1/f1f1cd43e33a45d560d0e7afc878aa332b210a040e10c64359c816664fea173d.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think we have decided on the Oakland area. Completely different feel out that way.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/f1/f1f1cd43e33a45d560d0e7afc878aa332b210a040e10c64359c816664fea173d.jpg

If the interstate is backed up, you could always take Summer Ave.  It will take you though the least desirable parts of the city, but it will drop you off near the island.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Live in Marion AR. There is only one neighborhood that is nice. It's called River Trace. It's in the country part of Marion. Your commute to Mud Island will be 15 mins.

There are no other options unless you want to drive over 45 mins each way.

Also, there are tons of dirt farm roads to ride  4 wheelers on. You can ride for miles.

Marion schools are probably better than most in the Memphis area.

View Quote

Lived by a teacher in Bartlett, who drove to Marion every day to teach. This went on for over 20 years. They wanted no part of Memphis schools.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top