Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 5:15:13 PM EDT
Why doesn't Natchez Shooters Supply pass their savings onto people from TN, GA, and AL.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why doesn't Natchez Shooters Supply pass their savings onto people from TN, GA, and AL.
View Quote

Sales tax is my guess.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sales tax is my guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sales tax is my guess.

Nope. It's some sort of an arrangement with volume sales to retail businesses in those states, so Natchez doesn't undercut them. Lots of us likely buy Natchez sourced stuff from brick and mortars without knowing it.

They would only have to charge tax to TN, not the other two. And why would they care anyway, the seller doesn't pay it, the buyer does.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
OK.  Don't and Won't understand it, but..  My money spends else where.  My Dad and a bunch of his friends live in WY.  Told them about it.   They were big Natchez fans, not any more.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sales tax is my guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sales tax is my guess.

Thanks for the response.  They probably get a tax break.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK.  Don't and Won't understand it, but..  My money spends else where.  My Dad and a bunch of his friends live in WY.  Told them about it.   They were big Natchez fans, not any more.

View Quote

Their loss, then. Natchez has some great pricing, wish I could buy there. It's just biz, don't see why you take it personally.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Their loss, then. Natchez has some great pricing, wish I could buy there. It's just biz, don't see why you take it personally.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

RCBS Chargemaster $289.00  at Natchez.  Midway  314.00  Natchez is 90 miles away.  If a bucks a buck then a bucks a buck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

RCBS Chargemaster $289.00  at Natchez.  Midway  314.00  Natchez is 90 miles away.  If a bucks a buck then a bucks a buck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

A buck's a buck but a buck fifty is more than a buck.

- I can make X by selling and shipping to individuals in those three nearest states.
- I can make X+ by only selling to resellers in those three states by letting them pick up and/or run my own trucks and/or bulk ship, whatever, but I must promise not to compete with them or they won't buy X+

Do I want to make the +?

That's my take, but they do claim the loyalty thing too, which if is the only reason then that's also even more admirable, so let's just roll with that:

"Why we don't sell in TN, GA, or AL

Over 21 years ago Natchez Shooters Supply was started as a wholesale distributor of reloading components. The entirety of our sales came from making local deliveries to dealers throughout Tennessee, and the northern Georgia and Alabama areas. It was upon this dealer foundation that Natchez Shooters Supply grew from a two man operation in the basement of a house into the large warehouse distributor that it is today.

Due to strong loyal commitments with our local dealers that have supported our business for over 21 years, we feel that it would be best if we did not compete with our them by selling directly to their customers. We will be offering links and contact information soon of dealers in TN, GA, and AL that loyaly support us. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Natchez Shooters Supply"

- OS
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They would only have to charge tax to TN, not the other two. And why would they care anyway, the seller doesn't pay it, the buyer does.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sales tax is my guess.

- OS

I was guessing that perhaps they had a presence in the other two states that would require them to collect sales tax. It's a lot easier, from an accounting stand point, to just write 0 for sales tax collected then keep track of 50000 transactions every quarter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
If Natchez is selling to other gun shops in TN, can't speak for the other states, there is no sales tax involved, as long as there is a tax exemption filed with the state.  If Natchez is supporting other gun shops in the area then I will retract what I said.
I would rather pay 20 dollars extra to a LGS, than pay a shipping cost or even by from out of state.  
My knee jerk reaction from their web site that says I'm not eligible for their discounts because I live in TN with out stating why.  Don't know where the statement came from, but I can understand why.  
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My knee jerk reaction from their web site that says I'm not eligible for their discounts because I live in TN with out stating why. Don't know where the statement came from, but I can understand why.  
Thanks for the info.
View Quote

http://www.natchezss.com/customerService.cfm?contentID=orderingInfo§ion=13

I now see it seems to be an orphaned link on their site now, either accidentally or on purpose, dunno. I just had it saved since question used to come up a lot on the places I frequent:

- OS
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea, I can,t  get to it, they got a 1800 number.  Just seems crappy.  If my LGS doesn't get them for the advertised price, or the base their price on a different distributor say midway or brownells, they can tell you to go suck it and if they did get is from Nachez at a lower price but they refuse to lower it.
We get screwed and there ain't a damn thing we can due about it.  Messed up, because I'm sure that Natchez can not control the other prices.  
If any company or distributor gives Natchez a discount that allows them to sell products cheaper, we can't take advantage of it because of where we live.
Not threatening anything, but betcha that is illegal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now now, we reputed conservatives are supposed to be all about being able to run your biz the way you see fit without gummit interference, eh? :)

- OS
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Now now, we reputed conservatives are supposed to be all about being able to run your biz the way you see fit without gummit interference, eh? :)

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

The American Way  I gotsta sue u.  Na, to hell with them.  The Outpost has always treated me good.  Just hate it is gonna cost me onother 50 plus just because I live in TN.  
Natchez can still kiss my A$#
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top