Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2014 4:44:19 PM EDT
Went to ORSA today to test out the AR pistol I built this week and there were lots of dump trucks coming and going and some bulldozers and stuff clearing the area between the current plinking range and the competition pistol range. Due to the work going on they had the plinking range and the competition pistol range closed. I reached out to the club president and found out that they are building a "plinking" style range specifically for Modern Sporting Rifles!

I'm really excited about being able to do something with my ARs at ORSA besides shoot holes in paper. I need to find some good deals on ar500 steel targets now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I saw that too. I'm anxious to see what it's like... hopefully a little room to move around. It'll be great to do magdumps without pissing off the bench resters

The last few times I've known I just need to function test or want to move around I just go over to the IDPA range on weekdays. AFAIK they use it for 3gun so I don't think I'm breaking any rules with a rifle over there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only been to ORSA  one time.  That was for a high power match when I lived in Murfreesboro. Now that I live in Knoxville,  I've never been.  Need to remedy that soon.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I saw that too. I'm anxious to see what it's like... hopefully a little room to move around. It'll be great to do magdumps without pissing off the bench resters

The last few times I've known I just need to function test or want to move around I just go over to the IDPA range on weekdays. AFAIK they use it for 3gun so I don't think I'm breaking any rules with a rifle over there.
View Quote

I didn't think we were allowed to use the IDPA/3Gun range except during competitions.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I think my wallet just threw up a little bit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think my wallet just threw up a little bit.
View Quote

Dude, it's only $10 a month paid yearly.  You can't afford NOT to!

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like they hope to have the new range available by the end of August.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard they have an archery range over there too.  Is that true?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never been on it, it's a trail off of the parking lot of the rifle range if I'm thinking right.  
http://orsaonline.org/iclubs.asp?id=3

If you want to meet up and check it out one evening or weekend just PM me.  Maybe me, Indiana + you could do some shooting. Then boom - you have a sponsor when you apply!
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've never been on it, it's a trail off of the parking lot of the rifle range if I'm thinking right.  

If you want to meet up and check it out one evening or weekend just PM me.  Maybe me, Indiana + you could do some shooting. Then boom - you have a sponsor when you apply!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may just take you up on that when work slows down a little!  

There's a new field course being built in Morristown right now, and depending on the quality of ORSA's range, that would make 3 in the region.  We were talking just yesterday about having some sort of "tournament circuit" next Spring.  That will be enough incentive to check the place out.  Maybe get some Big Eds while we're at it!
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, PM me if you want to get together at ORSA sometime. Of course we might be limited on what ranges are available depending on what is going on with the new range construction, but it shouldn't stop us from checking out the field archery range.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There's a new field course being built in Morristown right now, and depending on the quality of ORSA's range, that would make 3 in the region.  We were talking just yesterday about having some sort of "tournament circuit" next Spring.  That will be enough incentive to check the place out.  Maybe get some Big Eds while we're at it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not an archer, but from those that I know, ORSA at least used to have a really nice archery range with 3D targets.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am not an archer, but from those that I know, ORSA at least used to have a really nice archery range with 3D targets.
View Quote

3D is the popular thing right now, but Field (IMO) is a more challenging and fun sport.  When I shoot 3D, I shoot primitive with my longbow and self-made arrows and have a helluva time.  Field has lost popularity because the bowhunters aren't convinced it can help them.  Conservative, gun-loving hunter types are a hard-headed bunch.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Is ORSA worth the cost? I live near Oak Ridge but my work schedule is funky and would limit my time there. I'd be going to their 200yd range, handgun and the plinking range.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is ORSA worth the cost? I live near Oak Ridge but my work schedule is funky and would limit my time there. I'd be going to their 200yd range, handgun and the plinking range.
View Quote

I think so, but the value of $120 is subjective.  The Norris police range is another option depending on where you live.  I haven't been in a while, but it used to be around $30 for a yearly key.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in a exclusive area nearby, lol ORSA is about 30 minutes away from me. I go to Frontier occasionally for heir indoor range.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Been a member for years, live off less than a minute from the range.

The action pistol bays have some restrictions. IDPA/IPSC targets only. No center fire rifle except for matches and no clays except for matches.No plinking. No full auto. .22 and pistol caliber rifle is OK. Shotgun is OK too.  You also must be a member of the action pistol club, that is just a matter of going to a match that uses the AP range. Though with my work schedule I haven't shot a match in a couple of years, but I follow all of the other AP club rules so no one asks for my sticker. AP club members have a sticker on the back of their range ids, mine is out of date.  

Let me know if there is a meet up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd like to go there sometime, I know a few members but rarely have free time when they are available.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#18]
They were still working on it last Thursday. Any word on when they will be done?

Eta: Thank you whoever put up those steel targets on the plinking range
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The action pistol bays have some restrictions. IDPA/IPSC targets only. No center fire rifle except for matches and no clays except for matches.No plinking. No full auto. .22 and pistol caliber rifle is OK. Shotgun is OK too.  You also must be a member of the action pistol club, that is just a matter of going to a match that uses the AP range. Though with my work schedule I haven't shot a match in a couple of years, but I follow all of the other AP club rules so no one asks for my sticker. AP club members have a sticker on the back of their range ids, mine is out of date.  

View Quote

That's what's been keeping me from going over there.  Every time I hear somebody talk about it in person, they say "OH! It's awesome! They have ___ and ___" really? "yeah, but it's all restricted, you can't do ____ or ____ and ____".  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's what's been keeping me from going over there.  Every time I hear somebody talk about it in person, they say "OH! It's awesome! They have ___ and ___" really? "yeah, but it's all restricted, you can't do ____ or ____ and ____".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can not do everything in the same place but there is pretty much a place for everything
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They were still working on it last Thursday. Any word on when they will be done?

Eta: Thank you whoever put up those steel targets on the plinking range
View Quote

I was told end of august is when they hope to be done. They might have to do some work on the roads after that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full disclosure - I've never been on the high power range or the skeet/trap area because since I don't know how it works I'm afraid I'll do something stupid and get in trouble
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#23]
How does their 1000 yard range work? Do you just set up your own target and have at it? I assume steel is good to go?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How does their 1000 yard range work? Do you just set up your own target and have at it? I assume steel is good to go?
View Quote

No, if I could setup my own targets and shoot steel on that range, then I wouldn't be excited about this new range they are building.

The 1000 yard range is a competition range, with target pits. You shoot paper, someone down in the pit pulls down the target, marks your hit, and raises the target back up. Since the 1000 yard range has a road going through it that has to be closed off when the range is in use, it is only open during competitions and designated practice times.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, if I could setup my own targets and shoot steel on that range, then I wouldn't be excited about this new range they are building.

The 1000 yard range is a competition range, with target pits. You shoot paper, someone down in the pit pulls down the target, marks your hit, and raises the target back up. Since the 1000 yard range has a road going through it that has to be closed off when the range is in use, it is only open during competitions and designated practice times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that sucks. How far is their farthest range that lets you use your own targets?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well that sucks. How far is their farthest range that lets you use your own targets?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can shoot your own paper at the 200yard bench rest range.  Hanging your own steel would be plinking range only - and thus pistol calibers only.  

I'm not sure what the distance of the new range will be.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You can shoot your own paper at the 200yard bench rest range.  Hanging your own steel would be plinking range only - and thus pistol calibers only.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully it will be at least 500m. There aren't really any ranges around that are very long. My land has a 200m stretch, but that's just too easy for 5.56 and 308. I might actually go to a public range if it had enough room to stretch out anywhere from 500-1000.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hopefully it will be at least 500m. There aren't really any ranges around that are very long. My land has a 200m stretch, but that's just too easy for 5.56 and 308. I might actually go to a public range if it had enough room to stretch out anywhere from 500-1000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It won't be that long. It will be somewhere between 100 and 200 yards I think, based on the space they have available for it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It won't be that long. It will be somewhere between 100 and 200 yards I think, based on the space they have available for it.
View Quote

Are there any other ranges or public land places within an hour of Maryville to shoot that are 500m+?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are there any other ranges or public land places within an hour of Maryville to shoot that are 500m+?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have not heard of a place. Maybe the place off rifle range road.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's only 100 yards. And they're nazis too.

I never go to ranges because I have 80 acres of land, but it's just too heavily wooded for any long shots. I know there are some plots of private land that have 1000m stretches, but for some reason there aren't any ranges or even pieces of public land that have that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I never go to ranges because I have 80 acres of land, but it's just too heavily wooded for any long shots. I know there are some plots of private land that have 1000m stretches, but for some reason there aren't any ranges or even pieces of public land that have that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

East TN aint known for its vast stretches of flat land. Maybe up on the plateau
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I go to the HTF meetups in Cookeville once or twice a year to stretch out my guns. That's the best long range shooting you are going to find anywhere nearby I think.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah I go to the HTF meetups in Cookeville once or twice a year to stretch out my guns. That's the best long range shooting you are going to find anywhere nearby I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How far are they normally, and how often? I don't visit the HTF too terribly often, so I don't really keep up with that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How far are they normally, and how often? I don't visit the HTF too terribly often, so I don't really keep up with that.
View Quote

I think the next one is coming up soon. You need to get over there and pay if you want to go: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_38/554705_The_next__un_official_TN_HTF_shoot_thread___D_DAY___1__.html&page=6&anc=6187589#i6187589

Distance wise I think the longest range there goes out to 1000 yards. The range with most of the steel goes out to something like 850 yards. It's a really great setup they have.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think the next one is coming up soon. You need to get over there and pay if you want to go: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_38/554705_The_next__un_official_TN_HTF_shoot_thread___D_DAY___1__.html&page=6&anc=6187589#i6187589

Distance wise I think the longest range there goes out to 1000 yards. The range with most of the steel goes out to something like 850 yards. It's a really great setup they have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch. $100 admission? Am I reading that right?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is of interest to me too.  Looking for places to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is closer to a 2 hour drive from Maryville; but, TAC2 in Greeneville, TN can accommodate up to 600 yards.  Find specifics at tac2.net.

R4B
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top