Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2014 8:03:53 PM EDT
We're narrowing down our potential relocation destinations.  Any pros or cons on the three areas mentioned above would be appreciated.

Some considerations are:

High speed internet (work requirement)

Access to shooting range & gun shops (a plus)

Volunteer fire department (a plus)

Flooding (we were Irene'd in 2011)

Form 4 friendly CLEO

Also, can anyone recommend a realtor local to and familiar with the Loudon and Blount county areas?

Thanks.

David

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll have to just call the local cell/wifi provider and check into their speeds. Of the 3, LC is the largest. But to be honest, these 3 are not that far apart unless you're talking city/town proper. The outlying areas are not far apart from each other.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
We know they are close to each other.  That's why we want more information on the pros and cons of each.

Thanks for the suggestion to contact the provider for connectivity info.  Do you know who that is for this area.

David

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea on the providers.

Comcast? Charter? Start there.

LC is closer to the two main interstates and has more to offer as far as returaunts, box stores, etc.

Friendsville and Greenback are in the stick, but that may be what is appealing to you. Six and one half dozen of the others.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Local po-po are required by law to sign off on Class 3 goodies unless they have LEGAL reasons. Many hold their nose & do it but most of those are in urban areas, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Form 4 friendly CLEO...  
View Quote

TN law requires CLEO to sign off on NFA stuff within 15 days barring some reason you are found to be prohibited. Some might be faster than others, but it's not like it won't happen at all like in some counties in some states.

- OS

edit: sorry Bob, somehow didn't notice your post ...

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

edit: sorry Bob, somehow didn't notice your post ...
View Quote

No prob. Sometimes I don't always post the correct thing...............    
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad to hear about the state requirement for CLEO signoff.

Any information on our other concerns?

Thanks.

David

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks.

David

View Quote

Shooting: In Lenoir City, maybe 15 miles to ORSA, one of the better shooting facilities in the state:

http://orsaonline.org/

Next door in Loudon, there is some kind of police range that apparently allows public access, have seen it mentioned here but never exact details. Indoor range w/ gun store in Vonore I believe?

Several options in Knoxville/Maryville of course, indoor and out.
-------
Gun stores: Beaucoup in Knoxville/Knox County, and all but two Walmarts in 3 county area sell both guns and ammo, even the two that don't sell guns sell ammo and accessories.
------
Flooding: This is east TN, we ain't flat, and have TVA to control TN river. Localized flash flooding only. Avoid creek drained bottom land for best results. :)

- OS

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks.

David

View Quote

The best and most complete range by far is ORSA, on the west end of Oak Ridge. From LC, about a 20-30 minute drive up 321 to the turnpike. From Friendsville or Greenback, add about another 20-30 minuted depending on which side of them you are.

There are several indoor ranges in Knoxville, Maryville and Vonore. Gun stores are the same. Just west of ORSA on Hwy 58 is Frontier Firearms.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Flooding: This is east TN, we ain't flat, and have TVA to control TN river. Localized flash flooding only. Avoid creek drained bottom land for best results. :)

View Quote

Sounds good.  What areas are creek drained bottom land and should be avoided?  Is there an elevation we should look above?

Sounds like no shortage of gun shops and ranges.  Are there any (legal) issues with shooting on your own land if it is done safely?

Is anyone involved with a volunteer fire department in the Knoxville area?

We're planning a trip out in August, anyone interested in a meet and greet?

Thanks for all the input.

David

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Flood prone areas are pretty apparent. You can also find out if it is in flood plain. Elevation is very dependent upon which lake/river/stream you happen to be on or near. You have a fairly large area that has many lakes, etc. that are at different elevations.

When you say "Knoxville area" that encompasses a fairly large area. You will just have to find out when you find a specific parcel of land to look at as to which fire department has it covered.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#12]
There are quite a few volunteer fire departments around here. I don't think Lenoir City has one. They are incorporated. The outlying areas will have them.
As far as flooding, you would pretty much have to be in one of the river bottoms in east Tenn to get flooded.
If you are close enough to a larger town, you can get cable internet. I live outside Knoxville city limits on the west side and have Comcast.

Hope to be welcoming you to our state.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
In regards to a volunteer fire department, I wanted to know the general attitude towards them and from them.

I know that Greenback and Friendsville are served by volunteer departments and parts of Loudon county are as well.

Is Comcast generally the go to company west of Knoxville?  How about South?

We'll make sure to keep out of river bottoms.

Thanks for the info and looking forward to our visit in August.

David
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
There are other providers than Comcast, find them and use them instead......

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Is anyone involved with a volunteer fire company in the Knoxville area?

Does anyone know/recommend a realtor who knows Blount county?

Anything specific to look out for or look for when we come down in August?

Thanks.

David
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#16]
There are many different internet providers around here with different areas of coverage. You will have to see which providers can bring service to your house once you settle on a location. You will usually have the choice between one phone company (AT&T or TDS) and one cable TV company (Comcast, Charter, Knology, etc..) that can provide internet (and phone and TV) to your house.

If you move here and decide to join ORSA send me a PM and I can sponsor your membership.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]
My ultimate goal is to have enough land that I can shoot on my own property.  A lifelong dream.

Depending on where we wind up, a family membership at ORSA is a good possibility.  Getting involved with the TFA is a given.  My representatives in the state legislature will either be glad to see me or run and hide to avoid me depending on their level of support for the 2nd Amendment.

David
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My ultimate goal is to have enough land that I can shoot on my own property.  A lifelong dream.

Depending on where we wind up, a family membership at ORSA is a good possibility.  Getting involved with the TFA is a given.  My representatives in the state legislature will either be glad to see me or run and hide to avoid me depending on their level of support for the 2nd Amendment.

David
View Quote

No offense, but why bother?  Have you see the typical "last post date" on that forum?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No offense, but why bother?  Have you see the typical "last post date" on that forum?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

David

I meant as a state level gun rights organization.  Is there another organization you would recommend instead?

David

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know/recommend a realtor who is familiar with Blount county?

Anything specific to look out for or look for when we come down in August?

I'd like to meet some of the Tennessee Hometown forum folks when we visit.

Thanks.

David
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Look out for the heat, the summer kind

Cant help on the realtor, but have a thought about how to maybe get one.

When you come down in August, drive around in the areas you like paying attention to the realtors signs. Usually, one or two companies stand out. Try giving them a call, they should be familiar with the area, hopefully.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I meant as a state level gun rights organization.  Is there another organization you would recommend instead?

David

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David

David

My point about the forum was as an indication that the organization itself is dead.  There's been one post in the last year IRC.

I don't know of another TN gun organization but I've only been here about 8 months and haven't really looked.  There is another TN gun forum but their infested with a bunch of OC and IT Fudds, so who needs that bs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My point about the forum was as an indication that the organization itself is dead.  There's been one post in the last year IRC.

I don't know of another TN gun organization but I've only been here about 8 months and haven't really looked.  There is another TN gun forum but their infested with a bunch of OC and IT Fudds, so who needs that bs.
View Quote

If you think the TFA is dead then you are seriously misinformed. As for the lack of posts on their official forum, I think most TFA members just stick to the forums on tngunowners.com.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you think the TFA is dead then you are seriously misinformed. As for the lack of posts on their official forum, I think most TFA members just stick to the forums on tngunowners.com.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah yes, the tnforum that is full of OC and IT Fudds, that's the name of it!

And that means that TFA is worthless as far as the 2nd amendment is concerned!
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you are one of those people more interested in calling other gun owners names instead of fighting for your gun rights.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I guess you are one of those people more interested in calling other gun owners names instead of fighting for your gun rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, they made it clear in more ways than one that they weren't interested in "gun rights" as they were in keeping the status quo.  

But whatever let's you sleep at night.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#29]
We are talking about tngunowners.com, correct?  If so, just spend some time there like I used to.  

The only real question I have is if the IT Fudds over there have the same lack of ethics and integrity as Dick Metcalf had when he "forgot" to mention his conflict of interest on gun training vs. requiring gun training in that article of his.  It wouldn't surprise me, but haven't been to look over there for some time.  Why bother with all their Fudd-ism's.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Guys, we're getting a bit off track here.

One of the things we would like to do on our visit next month is meet with a realtor who knows Blount County.  We don't have much time this visit, so we'd like to communicate with them before our visit to give them time to put together some listings to show us.  Does anyone have a recommendation?

We would also like to get together with some of the Knoxville area Tennessee Hometown folks.

Thanks.

David
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Agree, get this back on track.

Having said that, have nothing about Blount county, TN, sorry.

But FBTT for you.

And good luck!

Hank, let's agree to take it off line, please.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

But FBTT for you.

And good luck!

View Quote

OK, I give up.  What does FBTT mean?

Does anyone have a link to Tennessee law regarding target shooting on your own property?

Thanks.

David

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Does anyone have a link to Tennessee law regarding target shooting on your own property?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But FBTT for you.

And good luck!

No idea on the FBTT.

There is no state law regarding sport shooting on your property, only wild game and hunting laws. Sport shooting is all up to the city and county ordinances. Most medium sized cities and larger forbid it, to my knowledge no county forbids it absolutely. Not sure how a "metro" combined jurisdiction handles it, like Nashville/Davidson County.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
There is no state law regarding sport shooting on your property, only wild game and hunting laws. Sport shooting is all up to the city and county ordinances. Most medium sized cities and larger forbid it, to my knowledge no county forbids it absolutely. Not sure how a "metro" combined jurisdiction handles it, like Nashville/Davidson County.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OhShoot,
Appreciate the state info.  Any idea where I could find county ordinances for Loudon County or Greenback in particular?  Their county website doesn't list anything of the like.

[Edit: I mean ordinances in regards to sport shooting on my own property.]
Thanks.
David

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

OhShoot,

Appreciate the state info.  Any idea where I could find county ordinances for Loudon County or Greenback in particular?  Their county website doesn't list anything of the like.

Thanks.

David

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OhShoot,

Thanks.

David

'Fraid not. Discovered long ago there's quite few cities/counties which have their codes online. If you can't find any by Googling, they generally aren't there.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Lenoir County and Greenback proper have some of their zoning ordinances online, but I couldn't find anything regarding sport shooting on private property.  Either that means it is entirely unregulated (which would be great) or I didn't find the right ordinance.

Still looking.

Thanks.

David
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#38]
BTT usually means back to the top as in the order of posts on the main page. Don't know what the f stands for, free maybe?

As to shooting regs. There are and can be local ordinances with regards to it, such as no shooting within city limits, which is pretty standard. The only other state wide ordinance I can think of is no shooting within 100 yards of an occupied dwelling. You see this in the hunting regs. There are also usually regs as to hours as to making "noise" in most counties. Check on what those may be.

But by far what will dictate your shooting is really your neighbors. As long as safety is maintained and they don't raise hell about it, you should be good to go. But, I have seen instances where even though safety was maintained, the neighbors would call the cops everytime they heard a shot. Who wants to put up with that everytime?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Rebel_Rifle,

As far as you are aware, there is no property size minimum for sport shooting on your own property?  Does the 100 yard limit in the hunting regulations include structures owned by the sport shooter?

We are generally looking for property that is more rural than urban or suburban.  We hope this would reduce neighbor issues.

Thanks.

David
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Rebel_Rifle,

As far as you are aware, there is no property size minimum for sport shooting on your own property?  Does the 100 yard limit in the hunting regulations include structures owned by the sport shooter?

We are generally looking for property that is more rural than urban or suburban.  We hope this would reduce neighbor issues.

Thanks.

David
View Quote

No, I have never heard of a minimum lot size, that's not to say that in some locality there is that law, but I have never heard of such.

AFAIK, the 100 yard distance does not include the shooters own property/buildings.

My advice is to inquire first before shooting even better before buying. Not too many months ago, a situation in Union county just north of Knoxville resulted in a guys death, mainly over neighbors shooting and the next door neighbors complaining. Sound travels a long distance obviously but in the valleys and ridges in east TN it can be even worse.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
.....The only other state wide ordinance I can think of is no shooting within 100 yards of an occupied dwelling. You see this in the hunting regs...
View Quote

That is however, purely a "shooting while hunting" regulation, not applicable to sports shooting on your own property, as Rebel mentioned.

Lots of folks in the county shoot within 100 yards of their neighbors, I do with a friend out at his place,  but it's a big difference shooting into a berm as opposed to shooting at game, hence the hunting law only.

- OS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top