Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 5:20:42 PM EDT
I recently moved to Knoxville, well in January anyways, and am looking for recommendations on somewhere to shoot and a carry permit instructor.  Evidently the state only accepts proof of military training on forms the Marine Corps doesn't use so I am going to need to take a class.  If anybody can point me towards a good instructor and a good range, outdoor is better, and longer than 500 yards would be even better, I would really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Oak Ridge has an excellent 1000 yd range. A few members here are members there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You got a couple options.  Coal Creek Armory and Frontier Firearms give carry permit classes.  Also, TWRA at John Sevier Hunter Education Center also does this.  

I did mine at Frontier in Oak Ridge, but they're all pretty much the same it seems.  

The only ranges I know of in town are John Sevier (100yds sit down, $5.50 at the gate), Clinton (200yd do what you want. $60 per year) and Oak Ridge, which goes out to 1,000.  I've only been to John Sevier.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone know if there are any local ordinances (or state laws) concerning shooting on private property in Knox county?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump for justice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Coal Creek changed hands. New name, better rep.   Frontier Firearms on Gallahar is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Coal Creek changed hands. New name, better rep.   Frontier Firearms on Gallahar is awesome.
View Quote

I second Frontier.  shoot there every few months. staff is very friendly and helpful.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You got a couple options.  Coal Creek Armory and Frontier Firearms give carry permit classes.  Also, TWRA at John Sevier Hunter Education Center also does this.  
View Quote

TWRA doesn't offer the classes.  Several instructors/schools use the range for that part of the class.  Pellissippi State and On-Target are two of them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

TWRA doesn't offer the classes.  Several instructors/schools use the range for that part of the class.  Pellissippi State and On-Target are two of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, I could've swore I saw something in their office about the classes.  Probably something put up there by PSTCC.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Where to shoot depends some on where you live and how far you want to drive, but ORSA is the best place around. You can get some info on it here: orsaonline.org The 200 yard range and several other ranges are always open to members. The 1000 yard range is only open during competitions and certain practice times.
If you want me to sponsor your membership application to ORSA just send me a PM.

Tactical Advantage Corp (formerly Coal Creek Armory) has a pretty nice indoor range (pistol calibers only). You'll have a long wait for a shooting lane on the weekends though.

Gunny's in Maryville has a decent indoor range. And they let you shoot some rifle calibers, as long as you aren't shooting steel core ammo. Plus I've never had to wait for a lane at Gunny's. While I'm over that way I usually swing by Bill's Outpost in Alcoa, currently my favorite gun store in the area.

As for where to take your CCW class, I know people that have taken the class at ORSA (you don't have to be a member to take it there), Coal Creek and Gunny's. They all seem about the same. I took the class at Coal Creek, but that instructor isn't there anymore so I don't know much about the classes Tactical Advantage offers now, but I doubt they would be any different. You basically sit all Saturday in a room going over what will be on the test. Then you take a written test, and a shooting test. Then you go get fingerprinted somewhere, and go to the DMV to get your picture taken, and wait on the permit to come in the mail.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if there are any local ordinances (or state laws) concerning shooting on private property in Knox county?
View Quote

No county laws, no state law. 'Course, depending on location and relations with neighbors, LEOs might get a call; they'll generally just check safety setup and maybe ask you to be reasonable with the hours you shoot to be nice to neighbors.

You can't even legally shoot a pellet gun inside Knoxville city limits however.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Coal Creek changed hands. New name, better rep. ...
View Quote

Tactical Advantage Corp. Kinda shy about putting their address on site though: 10737 Dutchtown Rd, Knoxville, TN 37932

http://www.tacticaladvantagecorp.com/

The Norris range is great, nice funky good ole time in middle of nowhere, $40 / year June 30 to June 30, not prorated though. $20 per visit otherwise.

- OS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top