Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2014 3:55:38 PM EDT
It seems that SB1612 has passed both chambers and will likely be signed by the governor. It strengthens preemption by voiding pre-86 local ordinances and takes effect immediately upon becoming law. While it does not delete the local option for prohibiting park carry under state law, Knoxville does not use that section to prohibit park carry. It uses a pre-86 ordinance. Am I correct in thinking that park carry will become legal in Knoxville upon Haslam's signature (unless Knoxville decides to use the state law provision)?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a lawyer.  I'm a layman who thinks laws should be simple to read and understand.

Therefore I think it's better to ask forgiveness than permission, especially in some Knoxville parks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a lawyer.  I'm a layman who thinks laws should be simple to read and understand.

Therefore I think it's better to ask forgiveness than permission, especially in some Knoxville parks.
View Quote

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 ;)
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It seems that SB1612 has passed both chambers and will likely be signed by the governor. It strengthens preemption by voiding pre-86 local ordinances and takes effect immediately upon becoming law. While it does not delete the local option for prohibiting park carry under state law, Knoxville does not use that section to prohibit park carry. It uses a pre-86 ordinance. Am I correct in thinking that park carry will become legal in Knoxville upon Haslam's signature (unless Knoxville decides to use the state law provision)?
View Quote

Well that is damned interesting. Do you know if the same applies to Oak Ridge parks? I'd like to be able to carry at Haw Ridge without worrying about printing.

We need a lawyer in here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absoutely. I always carry everywhere I can. Concealed means concealed and all that. Sometimes it is really uncomfortable to conceal a gun while doing certain sports activities in a park though. Trail running with a 9mm in your waistband isnt that fun.

Maybe I just need a better holster or something. But I prefer carrying OWB when I can.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It seems clear that if Knoxville wants to prohibit carry if this is passed and signed (seems to take affect immediately), it will have to officially opt out of 39-17-1311 and erect proper signage.

If they do that though,  we're the worse for it.  At least now we don't face a state Class A misdemeanor on our record if prosecuted, and penalty is only max $50 and/or 30 days  as opposed to possible $2500 and/or 11/29.

But yeah, seems to me as soon as bill is signed, carry in all city rec areas would be legal until City Council does something about it.

- OS

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well that is damned interesting. Do you know if the same applies to Oak Ridge parks? .
View Quote

To my knowledge, OR bans it according to 39-17-1311, not a grandfathered city ordinance.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

To my knowledge, OR bans it according to 39-17-1311, not a grandfathered city ordinance.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that is damned interesting. Do you know if the same applies to Oak Ridge parks? .

- OS

It seems as though these new laws get put in place on top of other laws and so on, almost as if the ones in charge of the parks want us to play it safe and leave our firearms at home.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which means it is practically useless, because Muni's- can just pass pre-86 ord. to post-86 ord.s.  And, unless you can claim a non-English reading illegal alien status, you will be fined $2500 + a stretch in Club TN in our muni-parks here if discovered carrying.

So, this is Kabuki theater to cover the killing of HB1407 stuck in TN House Finance Ways and Means Comm, the bill which did delete local options.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Which means it is practically useless, because Muni's- can just pass pre-86 ord. to post-86 ord.s.  And, unless you can claim a non-English reading illegal alien status, you will be fined $2500 + a stretch in Club TN in our muni-parks here if discovered carrying.

So, this is Kabuki theater to cover the killing of HB1407 stuck in TN House Finance Ways and Means Comm, the bill which did delete local options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The committee is meeting today, I'll bet it moves. Probably not the open carry bill though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, Knoxville City Council will have to shit or get off the pot any day now.

If I were a Kwik kinda guy, guess I'd toddle around some of the parks as soon as it's signed openly strapped with a pair of my big ass revolvers or something.

My bet is they'll do the opt out and post though, what with being led by Madame Mayor Rogero, a lib Dem. I wonder if their lead lawyer even knows the score on this thing yet.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I were a Kwik kinda guy, guess I'd toddle around some of the parks as soon as it's signed openly strapped with a pair of my big ass revolvers or something.

My bet is they'll do the opt out and post though, what with being led by Madame Mayor Rogero, a lib Dem. I wonder if their lead lawyer even knows the score on this thing yet.

- OS
View Quote

I think they will lay low rather than have to fool with signage since it will probably be worthless next year. We got SO close.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think they will lay low rather than have to fool with signage since it will probably be worthless next year. We got SO close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Well, yeah, but that assumes Knoxville actually has finger on the pulse of what goes on in Nashville. It's not like Rogero and Haslam are tight or anything, what with her running against him last time around.  The gun banning might be fairly high priority for her, not sure. She's big on "public safety" and "protect the children" and such, usually a sure sign of anti-gun when a Dem says it.

I guess Joe Armstrong and Gloria Johnson might keep her informed, they're both as anti-everything weapon wise as any over there. We wouldn't even have permit carry or 2" knives if they had their way.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm surprised rogero isn't on MAIG yet, honestly.  How the hell did she get elected.  She's like the Anti-Tim Burchett.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm surprised rogero isn't on MAIG yet, honestly.  How the hell did she get elected.  She's like the Anti-Tim Burchett.
View Quote

Don't know of anyone that voted for her.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard nothing but bad things about the guy that ran against her. I knew a guy that had worked for him, and he had some horror stories. She won because she had no strong candidates running against her. It was a typical election where the choices were between a douchebag and a turd sandwich.

Not saying I voted for her, I live outside the city limits so I don't vote for city mayor.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I heard nothing but bad things about the guy that ran against her. I knew a guy that had worked for him, and he had some horror stories. She won because she had no strong candidates running against her. It was a typical election where the choices were between a douchebag and a turd sandwich.

Not saying I voted for her, I live outside the city limits so I don't vote for city mayor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to high school with Padgett.  His sister was always nice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He might be a nice guy. I don't know him, and I didn't look into him much since I don't get to vote in that race. But his former employees don't have anything nice to say about him.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He might be a nice guy. I don't know him, and I didn't look into him much since I don't get to vote in that race. But his former employees don't have anything nice to say about him.
View Quote

I said his sister was nice.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, Haslam was ya know. Then magically "saw the light" and became NFA life member just in time to run for Gov.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Obama, Bloomberg's $Bn's and his MAIG network says you are wrong.  But, I sure hope you are right.  I think we need to put on a full court press, before the legislative session begins in Nashville and have our ducks in a row.  I would like to see two reps and two sens picked to faithfully run all the pro 2A bills with the full power of TFA, NRA, GOA, etc. backing them.  That way, when someone like Mae Beavers comes out of left field with a hysterical  "Open Carry for All" bill at the 11th hour, we know we're being spoofed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, it's been 10+ days and no word of a veto so I guess it's the law now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Way past now, sent to Gov on 4/16.  Maybe Haslam has some reservation about usurping local law, sort of an internal "states rights" view, didn't want to exactly endorse it but didn't feel strongly enough about it to actually veto.

Or maybe the paperwork just got lost or something, who knows?

- OS
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Way past now, sent to Gov on 4/16.  Maybe Haslam has some reservation about usurping local law, sort of an internal "states rights" view, didn't want to exactly endorse it but didn't feel strongly enough about it to actually veto.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Well that's the most optimistic way to look at it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Well, he signed the carry in vehicles bill, which is actually the biggest step toward any kind of constitutional carry we've had in TN since carry became illegal in the first place and is likely much more controversial than the preemption thang.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, the new preemption has been in effect since 4/28 apparently. It looks like Haslam let it go without his signature (big surprise there ). Has anyone heard anything from the city council?

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=SB1612&GA=108
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, the new preemption has been in effect since 4/28 apparently. It looks like Haslam let it go without his signature (big surprise there ). Has anyone heard anything from the city council?

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=SB1612&GA=108
View Quote

I really wonder if they're even aware of the change in law, or what it means regarding their ordinance. Guess I'll not be the one to tell them, though.

- OS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top