Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/6/2013 10:19:08 AM EDT
First off sir Hank, I have nothing to do with this deal and it's not a referral link, just sharing!  

Just ran across this deal, $35 for a billet 80% lower.  Called and talked with the guy for a few min and everything seems on the up and up.  At current prices, a $35 80% isn't a bad deal, now I just need to either find a jig or go in with a few people to pick one up.

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/24272-support-ar15-80-lower

For a pledge of 35 or more you will receive 1- 7075 billet aluminum lower. The lower is not color finished. This way you can have any custom colors you wish. Not just stuck with black anodized.
For a pledge of 60 or more you will receive 2- 7075 billet aluminum lower. The lower is not color finished. This way you can have any custom colors you wish. Not just stuck with black anodized.
For a pledge of 100 or more you will receive 4- 7075 billet aluminum lower. The lower is not color finished. This way you can have any custom colors you wish. Not just stuck with black anodized.

UPDATE
Just got an email.  Here is the Jig.  Ill be picking one up but not till later in the month.
http://www.rockethub.com/24272
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll wait to see what their jig is going to cost.  If the jig is well made and cheap enough I may be in for several of the lowers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The comments claim that it will be a steel jig, and they keep repeating it will be at a decent cost. They are supposed to list the jig on Friday the 10th, and if it is decently priced I am going to grab a four-pack! Of course that means I have to find a way to finish the work! I have heard a drill-press works.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting this.  I too will be looking for the cost of the jig on Friday and will consider a 4 pack myself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If we want to split the cost of the jig and ship it back and forth I'd be down for that. (As long as that's not against the rules!)
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Last time I checked (may have been a couple years ago), 0% lowers (unmachined forgings) were going for $25 to $35 each.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
If that jig is in the $100-$200 range and looks to be worth a shit I'll get one.  So if you're in the greater Clarksville area and wanna rent it for a six pack of PBR tall boys or some A.G. Extra stout let me know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate that I live in Memphis sometimes!  
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sometimes!?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
So will there be a machining party, like those AK build parties that used to happen?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So will there be a machining party, like those AK build parties that used to happen?

I think that may be possible at my pad for a select few if you know the secret hand shake, and if the wife says ok.  Key factor is household 6 saying "Roger That".
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes!?

Well, I DO like the hometown crew around here...  Only saving grace

I have a drill press I can bring!
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Keep me in mind if the jig looks good.  I am sure there will be interest from others around Memphis
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#13]
My father has a garage machinist shop - and I think he's machined 80% lowers for one of his friends before.  

So consider this a tag for me to look into later
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 3:49:45 AM EDT
[#14]
If you have a mill, or access to one, the jig really isn't needed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 4:23:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't mind having a couple laying around.

Crawlin, let me know how many you are getting, if any. Maybe you and i can figure this out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I picked up just one
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Crawlin and Tigers, keep me in mind.  I'll be checking in on this.  If someone in town can assist with tools or jig or what have you, I'd be in.  Otherwise, I have to pass because I do not have the tools necessary.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought two of the 4 packs so I definitely would be interested in sharing a jig.  

I've been looking at the jigs from Ares Armor and CNC Guns.  Ares is cheaper at about $125 but it is nice to know Sierra is coming out with their own.

And if anyone needs access to a drill press in the Memphis / Southaven area, I have one that is 4 feet tall and almost as old as I am.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I just went ahead and grabbed two. I do have another question, anyone know where I can get these engraved?
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If that jig is in the $100-$200 range and looks to be worth a shit I'll get one.  So if you're in the greater Clarksville area and wanna rent it for a six pack of PBR tall boys or some A.G. Extra stout let me know.

KNOW :-) just bought one

Houston cty
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 5:44:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I saw this posted in the AR15 build it yourself section a week or two ago. There were a couple of other shops putting up 80% options as well. Some already were anodized too. I picked me up some as well. One came with some kind of jig they said.

I have a Bridgeport in the garage that I am trying to get hooked up if I can ever get the car put back together and out of the way.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Last time I checked (may have been a couple years ago), 0% lowers (unmachined forgings) were going for $25 to $35 each.

This looks like a smokin' deal for something with the magwell already finished.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I saw this posted in the AR15 build it yourself section a week or two ago. There were a couple of other shops putting up 80% options as well. Some already were anodized too. I picked me up some as well. One came with some kind of jig they said.

I have a Bridgeport in the garage that I am trying to get hooked up if I can ever get the car put back together and out of the way.

Need help getting that car by together
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need help getting that car by together

Haha I need free time is the problem!

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#26]
UPDATE
Just got an email.  Here is the Jig.  Ill be picking one up but not till later in the month.
http://www.rockethub.com/24272
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:16:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Very cool.  That's not a bad deal. What metal is it made from?

How long before they would start shippping?
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#28]
They changed the design of the lower and added more buying options from when I funded them for a 4 pack. Four used to be the most you could get at once and it didn't have the finger grooves on the front I'm pretty sure. Don't think it had the trigger guard either.

I would like to know what material the jig is made of too.

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Very cool.  That's not a bad deal. What metal is it made from?

How long before they would start shippping?

The jigs from the other companies are usually some type of hardened steel so that you can drill inside the guide holes without damaging it.  One jig had inserts in each hole.  I assume that would allow you to replace them if your guide hole gets out of spec.

26 days left in the campaign.  Shipping is 4 to 6 weeks after that according to their FAQ.

I'm in for a jig and maybe another 4 pack.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I just got an email from them saying the jig is aluminum. Here is the copied and pasted text. With it being AL instead of steel I'm not sure how it could be "built to last" when you are running cutting tools through it.

"Sierra Nevada Arms is now offering a custom Jig for our 80% AR15 lowers. This jig will also fit any “Colt” spec lower.

The Jig is made out of aluminum and it’s built to last. It is unlike any other jig made, it can be used to make multiple 80% lowers because of its durable design.

Other jigs on the market can cost you $100-$200 and do not offer the durability we do.

Please go to http://rkthb.co/24272 and purchase yours for a low price of $50."

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks.  I was about to copy that email in.  They have a FB page so I mak ask about the Jig.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I asked already and got this response;

"Most jigs are thin plates. Mine is 3 inches thick and made of 6061.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 05/10/2013 6:53 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: Jason Saffle <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Sierra Nevada Arms Jig now available for purchase.

How can your jig be so durable when it is made out of aluminum? Is it hard coat anodized or something? What series aluminum is it made out of?"

So their jigs are made out of a softer material than the receivers which are 7075.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Hrmmm
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm sure they would do an adequate job holding the lower and that is the hard part. If you can get it clamped up good then you can always center punch and drill or if you have a mill use a DRO instead of the plates.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#35]
So I'm looking at 150 for a 4 pack with jig.  But I don't have the tools necessary.  Anyone in the Memphis area have a shop and the time that we could get a party going?  I'm very interested in doing this but I need help.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I could bring a drill press.  But never done cutting so I'm not sure what tools I would need.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#37]
You 'can' chuck an end mill into a drill chuck but it isn't ideal. The hardest part for drill press users will be not having a slide table to go back and forth on the elongated cuts. Even if you had just a 1 axis el-cheapo it would be better than nothing. A 2 axis would be much better. I know you can buy 2 direction slides for drill presses. It is a tooling investment though that will effectively add to your lower costs.

You can drill a bunch of holes to get the bulk of the material out and try to clean up the remainder with a dremel or something but you have to be sure to not go crazy. It won't be easy to get he inside walls of the FCG straight.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Unlike Crawlin', I won't volunteer to bring my drill press.  I hate taking it apart to move and I can't pick it up as a single piece.

I missed that it was made from aluminum.  As I mentioned earlier, the Ares jig has metal inserts in the holes - http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHAR5  I like the CNC Gunsmith jig that has the multiple holes to remove the majority of the material - http://www.cncguns.com/  They also have instructions on using an end mill to finish up the trigger well.

I don't know the accuracy, but the drill press milling vice combined with an end mill should remove a the last bit of material if it is drilled out first.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I asked already and got this response;

"Most jigs are thin plates. Mine is 3 inches thick and made of 6061.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 05/10/2013 6:53 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: Jason Saffle <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Sierra Nevada Arms Jig now available for purchase.

How can your jig be so durable when it is made out of aluminum? Is it hard coat anodized or something? What series aluminum is it made out of?"

So their jigs are made out of a softer material than the receivers which are 7075.

At least they're not calling it "aircraft grade aluminum".
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#41]
In for pics when you start.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey if we are going to get behind someone lets get behind these folks.

At least they are in state.  With a tank of gas I can be at someones door looking for my money or my paperweight.  

Looks like they are in Chattanooga. Anyone know these folks?

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/25903-80-lowers-dunn-family-arms#description-tab
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hey if we are going to get behind someone lets get behind these folks.

At least they are in state.  With a tank of gas I can be at someones door looking for my money or my paperweight.  

Looks like they are in Chattanooga. Anyone know these folks?

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/25903-80-lowers-dunn-family-arms#description-tab

I would have, had I seen it before dropping the coin on the other deal. I might give it a go next month...we will see!
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Any 'Build Parties' going to be in the Nashville/Murfreesboro/Franklin area?  I ask as if we can split the cost on the jig and drill bits, it may save all of us a little.

Besides it would give some of us yet another excuse to get together and talk s.........ah....feces about each other.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#45]
It will probably be a while before those 80% lowers get shipped so maybe I'll have my mill running by then,
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Where are you?  I'd be willing to drive a bit as long as you aren't on the other side of the state!
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm just south of Murfreesboro so I'm almost dead center of the state. I'm 3 miles from the Outpost.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Awesome.  I have family there.

Little know fact, Murfreesboro was named after my family.  They changed the spelling from Murphy because they wanted "free" in their name.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm just south of Murfreesboro so I'm almost dead center of the state. I'm 3 miles from the Outpost.

Well, Howdy Neighbor.  I am between Barfield and Christiana.  Yes, you are near the exact center of the State.  The marker for it is about a mile from MTSU's football stadium.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Did somebody say build party?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top