Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2017 11:53:23 PM EDT
So I'm just a few weeks from moving to Orem now and I'm planning on getting my Utah CFP as soon as I can.  I already have permits for both Texas and Virginia issued when I was a resident of each, and I don't feel like spending a dime more for my CFP than I need to since I'm already preparing for a super cheapo type of existence given I'll be living on just my GI Bill.  I saw that the required minimum amount of training mandated by the state is 4 hours of in class training.  Thats all I want.  Can anybody suggest a good and cheap certified instructor within 20 miles of Orem?  

If I'm wrong about the 4 hour in class minimum, my bad I just saw that here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:22:24 AM EDT
[#1]
4 hour class, fingerprints, passport picture, and the application fee. Looking at about $70. I got my classroom instruction for free (plus $20 total for picture and prints) in Provo, buy you just missed the deadline for the most recent class. Seems like the guy does them a couple times per year. You could email him asking about dates for the next class:

http://www.utconcealedcarry.com/

You can also look here for classes (there is a filter for permit classes in the dropdown):
Utah's version of Armslist

If you can find a class for around $25 that includes a picture and prints, you're doing pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:37:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response Spud.  

Now that brings up another question:  Is Armslist useless in Utah?  I'm looking at it and not seeing much (SLC and Provo are the only cities to even search in).  Is Utahgunexchange the best place to list guns I have for sale?   Back in TX, Armslist was fantastic, I bought/sold/traded on there all the time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
So far as online sites the two I use most are Utahguns.com and Utahgunexchange.com. For the stuff I look for every time I've seen something on Armslist in Utah it was clearly a scam, priced waaaaaaay too good to be true.

ETA: There's actually a third website I use, the EE here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
In Utah, UGE is all I use. Forget Armslist in this state. Also, KSL.com (classified section) is like craigslist here...if you're into that.

Only ran into one scammer (it was pretty obvious from the price / description and he had a Chicago / DC phone numbers). Guy wanted me to send a moneygram to Nigeria and he would covertly mail me the gun in a "pizza bag".
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Ready Gunner in Orem teaches the class for $5, but fingerprints and photo are $20.

You don't have to use them for prints and and photo, but may as well since you'll pay that much anyway.

You are still responsible for state fees.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top