Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 2/6/2017 3:52:46 PM EDT
Howdy,
 Moved here about a year ago (from Texas) and haven't done much shooting since my arrival.
I'm at the south end of the valley, Paradise, and have been getting familiar with the Blacksmith fork area.
I've spoke to a few locals about where to and not to shoot but am not convinced with the answer I get. "Anywhere" " as long as you're off the road/trail, nobody cares, shoot wherever you want".

I spent last summer and fall hiking and camping the areas past Hardware ranch out to south of Bear lake area and in all that time I can say I never heard a single gunshot.

Any help on outdoor areas for target shooting would be greatly appreciated.
I don't much care for public ranges but don't want to piss off DNR.

Help out the new guy??
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
No arfcomers in the valley of Cache???
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, sorry. But you may find this map interesting / helpful.

https://nationalmap.gov/small_scale/printable/images/pdf/fedlands/UT.pdf
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I am all alone
Maybe I can bring more into the fold!

Thanks for the map
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in north Weber county and I feel your pain. When I live in Utah county I had a couple places 10 minutes from my house that we would set up steel out to 1200 yards. I've scouted out a couple places on HWY 39 out by Monte Cristo and Woodruf that are on BLM and Forest Service land that work when the road is open. I've driven on SR162 from Eden to Avon looking for a place to shoot, but it was almost all posted no trespassing, even though it's Forest Service land. When I called the Forest Service they could not tell me why the area was posted. I will be calling again this spring to get some resolution and then try to find someplace in that area to shoot so I don't have to drive very far. Currently I shoot at the Weber County Shooting Complex, 50 yard "pistol" lanes and 300 yard rifle range.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,    I was in Logan for about a year.   I would Take 89 east toward Bear Lake and then just turn off on one of them many dirt roads.       With in a few minutes I would be a just pick a place with a good backstop and shoot.

Some place a little closer take E Canyon Road East out of Avon.     That will take you up to Porcupine lake.      That would be another good area.

I went up there during elk season and I would run in to a group of hunters every couple of hundred of yards.       Funny I had just pasted one group of hunters can round a bend in the road.     A very large bull elk just walked out in front of my jeep and went up the hill.     Another 100 yards was a group of hunters.          I was the only person to see the elk.

So yes go up in the hills find a safe place and shoot.     Then clean up after your self and all will be good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Found this info on the USPSA page.  I went to the range one time probably 20 years ago so I can't tell you much about it.  

Practical pistol matches are held rain or shine on the fourth Saturday of each month at the Cache Valley Hunter Education Center, located at 2851 West Valley View Highway (Highway 30 / 200 N in Logan), approximately 3 miles west of Logan, Utah.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hello,    I was in Logan for about a year.   I would Take 89 east toward Bear Lake and then just turn off on one of them many dirt roads.       With in a few minutes I would be a just pick a place with a good backstop and shoot.

Some place a little closer take E Canyon Road East out of Avon.     That will take you up to Porcupine lake.      That would be another good area.

I went up there during elk season and I would run in to a group of hunters every couple of hundred of yards.       Funny I had just pasted one group of hunters can round a bend in the road.     A very large bull elk just walked out in front of my jeep and went up the hill.     Another 100 yards was a group of hunters.          I was the only person to see the elk.

So yes go up in the hills find a safe place and shoot.     Then clean up after your self and all will be good.
View Quote

Weird, we switched places.
About a year ago I was in central Texas for quite a few years.
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Bro... Do you even three mile creek?  I live in Tremonton not to far from you.  Three Mile Creek is right outside of Brigham.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#9]
https://www.facebook.com/threemilecreekrange/

I know facebook....
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.facebook.com/threemilecreekrange/

I know facebook....
View Quote

Three mile creek

Looks like it has not been updated in a while though.

Gary
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Well they are closed for the season.  Should open back up in a month or two.  Call Perry Police and they will know.  If you need something right now and have your own stuff you can just head out towards Yost.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Alright I called just for me since you got me worried.  They usually open the first weekend in May.  This is depending if the place is dried out or not.  So Start looking for it to be open in May pending the water situation out here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bro... Do you even three mile creek?  I live in Tremonton not to far from you.  Three Mile Creek is right outside of Brigham.
View Quote

Nice, I just moved to Garland from Houston back in August.

I was looking for a decent place to shoot 1000 ish yards to setup my steel. Any good ideas w/o going to a range? Looks like heading out towards Promontory would be promising.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah head West.  Also look up Long Range Shooters of Utah.  I'm here in Tremonton.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top