Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2016 2:44:34 PM EDT
Anyone here have solar installed on their house?  We are looking into it and am looking for practical reasons for/against it.  We have a south facing house and a fairly low pitched roof and it would seem we are a great candidate for the maximum amount of sunlight available during the day.  Any info you could post would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a 30 panel, 8.7kw system on my house here in the  Las Vegas area.

What do you want to know in particular?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think eastonj has a setup on his house.
View Quote
You rang? Indeed I do.

27 panels of 250W Canadian Solar panels. 6.75 kW total. This is all on the south facing side of my house. It covers about 85% of my annual bill. Was about $2100/year pre-solar. Now about $350/year post-solar.

I've had the system since October 2013. It has Enphase Microinverters with grid-tie. We did not get battery back up, because it would've added around $10,000 to the total cost. When there are some Tesla powerwalls and some other competitors out in the wild, I'll consider adding battery backup.

Total cost before tax incentives was $24,000. After 30% federal tax credit and $2K state tax credit, it came in around $14K.

My ROI is as follows: If my consumption doesn't change AND Rocky Mountain Power rates don't change (fat chance of that), my payback is about 8.25 years.

If my consumption is unchanged AND rates increase at 2%/year, payback is about 7.5 years.

I have an east facing roof (back side of house) with some south facing exposure. I think I can get another 5-7 panels up there. This would get me to 100% of my power needs. My wife has decreed that there will be no solar panels on the front, west-facing side of the house.

If you're serious, get several bids. Some of the vendors you see advertising on the billboards and on TV are not necessarily the least expensive. One of my partners at clinic just got his house done (9.3kW). He had two bids at $36K and $40K before tax credits. I referred him to the company that did my system (and the solar systems on our clinics in West Jordan and Riverton). He ended up getting the system for around $27K, pre-tax. That's almost the same as mine, for another 2.5kW. Just shows how much the price has dropped.

Drop me a PM or post here if you want more info. I'm in Draper if you ever wanted to take a look.

Every time I get my power bill, I like to think that Rocky Mountain Power dies a little death.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You rang? Indeed I do.    

27 panels of 250W Canadian Solar panels. 6.75 kW total. This is all on the south facing side of my house. It covers about 85% of my annual bill. Was about $2100/year pre-solar. Now about $350/year post-solar.

I've had the system since October 2013. It has Enphase Microinverters with grid-tie. We did not get battery back up, because it would've added around $10,000 to the total cost. When there are some Tesla powerwalls and some other competitors out in the wild, I'll consider adding battery backup.

Total cost before tax incentives was $24,000. After 30% federal tax credit and $2K state tax credit, it came in around $14K.

My ROI is as follows: If my consumption doesn't change AND Rocky Mountain Power rates don't change (fat chance of that), my payback is about 8.25 years.

If my consumption is unchanged AND rates increase at 2%/year, payback is about 7.5 years.

I have an east facing roof (back side of house) with some south facing exposure. I think I can get another 5-7 panels up there. This would get me to 100% of my power needs. My wife has decreed that there will be no solar panels on the front, west-facing side of the house.

If you're serious, get several bids. Some of the vendors you see advertising on the billboards and on TV are not necessarily the least expensive. One of my partners at clinic just got his house done (9.3kW). He had two bids at $36K and $40K before tax credits. I referred him to the company that did my system (and the solar systems on our clinics in West Jordan and Riverton). He ended up getting the system for around $27K, pre-tax. That's almost the same as mine, for another 2.5kW. Just shows how much the price has dropped.

Drop me a PM or post here if you want more info. I'm in Draper if you ever wanted to take a look.

Every time I get my power bill, I like to think that Rocky Mountain Power dies a little death.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You rang? Indeed I do.    

That's not a bad deal at all. Mine was $38k before incentive, but that also included 18 windows installed and a HE pool filter pump, so I am unsure what percentage of that was solar in particular.

I'm surprised that Utah is getting enough sun to make it worthwhile. My dad had his roofline inspected in Spanish Fork (unaware of his azimuth or otherwise) and the guy was saying it was about 21 years for break-even.

It makes sense in Vegas, hopefully it starts to make sense elsewhere too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:12:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's not a bad deal at all. Mine was $38k before incentive, but that also included 18 windows installed and a HE pool filter pump, so I am unsure what percentage of that was solar in particular.

I'm surprised that Utah is getting enough sun to make it worthwhile. My dad had his roofline inspected in Spanish Fork (unaware of his azimuth or otherwise) and the guy was saying it was about 21 years for break-even.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>    

While Utah doesn't get quite the sun exposure of Vegas, it's still pretty good. How long ago was this inspection done? Unless he's living on the north face of a mountain, that seems like they've really messed up the calculation or they're using really old or really expensive figures for the panels and the labor.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You rang? Indeed I do.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You rang? Indeed I do.    

What company did you use?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Progressive Power Solutions in Utah County. They did the systems on our clinics in West Jordan and Riverton. Granger Medical Clinic on 90th South and 3200 West, and 123rd South and Bangerter.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you!!
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top