Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 8/4/2016 12:17:43 AM EDT

I will be in Draper on business.

I plan I driving my 4x4 truck up from Dallas, Tx.
I am also planning to bring an AR with me.

Can you guys enlighten me on places to shoot -
"Outdoors" if possible ??

Are there places you can go and shoot out in the countryside, etc.
(Public land)

The more details, the better.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I will be in Draper on business.

I plan I driving my 4x4 truck up from Dallas, Tx.
I am also planning to bring an AR with me.

Can you guys enlighten me on places to shoot -
"Outdoors" if possible ??

Are there places you can go and shoot out in the countryside, etc.
(Public land)

The more details, the better.

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Salt Lake City and the suburbs fills up virtually all of Salt Lake County, so there's no outside shooting in the valley.

If you want to go to public land, there are places in Tooele county (West of SL county) and Utah county (South of SL county).
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]
There were spots out on stansbury island back when I hiked it a few years back. Also lambs canyon somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Gotcha

That points me in a few directions ??

South and West..

Anyone familiar w the restrictions, any signage or more specific locations

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Area #1

People shoot off this road quite often. Pay attention to signs. Look for a pull-off full of shotgun shells. Wherever you go to shoot, spend a few minutes cleaning up trash / shells / brass. Land is being closed thanks to pigs leaving garbage all over the place..

Map of shooting areas

BLM shooting info
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a group that gets together at this range on the first Saturday of every month.

Website is dated, but the info is there.

http://utahpolitesociety.blogspot.com/2007/06/what-is-ups.html
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It's kind of out of your way (2.5hrs) but if you could make it up to the Flaming Gorge I'll take u up in the Uintas or out in the desert of Wyoming. Can shoot out to a 1000 on a couple canyons I've set up. PM me if u want to go
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Ummm....

From Draper, head North on I-15
Take the I-80 interchange West bound.

Travel roughly 35 miles west until you pass the Great Stink Lake.

You're now in the West Desert, you have around 100 miles of open plains, so feel free to take any exit you find and move a few miles away from the freeway to an empty place that has a backstop and fire away.

*** One of the exits says "Military/Lakeside Area, don't take that exit ***

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]
So - to clear it up for me a bit....

If it is YELLOW on the chart below, I am able to drive out in my truck and
Shoot in these areas ?

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ut/salt_lake_fo/recreation/target_shooting0.Par.22920.File.dat/Target%20Shooting%20Closures%20SLFO.pdf

(JUST MAKING SURE)
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, pretty much, but use good judgement in some of those areas. Example being like the Eastern most part of the Five mile pass area, you'll see a bunch of little kids riding around on ATVs and dirt bikes, so that's probably not a good place to shoot. In the Oquirrh mountain range, there's a lot of private land with security, so you never really know which land is private and which is BLM.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
West Mountain is about an hour from Draper. You can park here and walk up the hill a little ways. This is BLM land. The hill side makes a nice natural backstop. Unfortunately a lot of people take stuff there to shoot and leave it, though technically you're only supposed to shoot paper targets. But hey, if each responsible shooter cleans up one or two extra things when they go then maybe we can get it cleaned up eventually...

Google Map:

https://goo.gl/maps/4vZxUEWnAYM2
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top