Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 3/18/2016 2:42:14 PM EDT
I have a couple Black Powder firearms listed on UT GUN EXCHANGE and I got this email recently:

Hello ,

Thanks for your reply concerning my inquiry. I am quite
comfortable with the condition of the item.I will add $40 to the
purchase price... for you to hold it for me,Please provide your full
name, Address and your Phone number so i can send your payment.I will
be paying you by a Money Order /Bank Check. It will take 2 -3 days for
the payment to get to you,As for delivery, I will make arrangements
for the pick-up after you have received payment,If this meets your
approval, kindly get back to me,as soon as possible, with your name,
phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent,so i can have
my assistant get the Money Order /Bank Check ready.

Note: As soon as you have your money in hand,we can talk about the
picking up of the item. I would like you to take the posting off the
site today and consider it sold to me.

Best Regards
Leona Keen
View Quote

Something doesn't seem right?  Possible phishing scam?

What doesn't seem right: GENERALIZED, like a cut & pasted email.

Usually someone who has an assistant has the assistant handle a transaction for a non-firearm - right?

I asked them for their complete information first before providing all of mine...

Anybody else gotten something like this?

Will

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have a couple Black Powder firearms listed on UT GUN EXCHANGE and I got this email recently:

Hello ,

Thanks for your reply concerning my inquiry. I am quite

comfortable with the condition of the item.I will add $40 to the

purchase price... for you to hold it for me,Please provide your full

name, Address and your Phone number so i can send your payment.I will

be paying you by a Money Order /Bank Check. It will take 2 -3 days for

the payment to get to you,As for delivery, I will make arrangements

for the pick-up after you have received payment,If this meets your

approval, kindly get back to me,as soon as possible, with your name,

phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent,so i can have

my assistant get the Money Order /Bank Check ready.

Note: As soon as you have your money in hand,we can talk about the

picking up of the item. I would like you to take the posting off the

site today and consider it sold to me.

Best Regards

Leona Keen
View Quote

Something doesn't seem right?  Possible phishing scam?

What doesn't seem  pasted email.

Usually someone who has an assistant has the assistant handle a transaction for a non-firearm - right?

I asked them for their complete information first before providing all of mine...

Anybody else gotten something like this?

Will

View Quote
If it feels like a scam, it is a scam.

I have never received anything like that when I listed items.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had a couple similar emails from things I have listed on UGE. I never replied to either one and since I never heard from them again figured it was a scam. i figured if it was a really interested person they would have tried another email.

Speaking of UGE, is it just me or does it seem like neckbeard central? It seems like everything listed is way over priced, then if you list something fairly priced you get a bunch of lowball offers or junk trades. That being said, I still browse it a couple times a day
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
He, my name is Kaneesha Wantalubamahatmavoodoo.

I am a Nigerian Prince.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have received some of these type messages from using KSL classifieds.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Update:

I will like you to read through my first msg so you could understand that payment will be issued out to you and once you cash and have the money with you then my movers will be coming for the pick up,kindly get back back to me with the info of where payment should be mail to so payment could be issued out to you asap.
View Quote

NOPE.

So they will send funds that are stolen or something and then send someone to my address to pickup the BP pistols?  Yeah NO WAY.

~Will
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Browning safe listed on KSL right now. What the OP describes is 100% scam. Guaranteed. No question. I've received two of these "offers" so far. Both times, I texted back and said, "Gimme a break. You're describing a classic scam. This is a cash-only, face to face deal. You put cash in my hand, you take the safe home. That's it."

One didn't respond. The other one argued with me for a while, stating that this is a cashless society. I told him I'd wait for someone with cash.

Just channel your inner Sam(DeNiro) from Ronin: "Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt."

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I searched online to see if someone has the same contact from this person, and what do I find but a carbon copy message they sent to you.  I had two items listed on UGE and they each received a response from this individual.  I've reported their email address as spam with google, so they may restrict that gmail account.  Just to make clear, the email I received from "Leona Keen" was the exact same as you posted above.  Honestly I didn't think too much of it off the bat considering I had an item that was probably $20 below value.  So it made a little sense for someone to want to grab the deal.  However, that email is so ridiculously formal, I didn't believe it was real.  Most people have not tact when it comes to selling/buying/trading on UGE.  I had someone tell me if I didn't sell them a handgun for less than $300 what they could buy it new that I had an unreasonable price.  This is the kind of response I expect from UGE, not someone writing a formal letter asking to send me money.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I had that exact e-mail response from a UGE ad I had posted. Leona Keen. Scam.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks fellas, I appreciate the replies.

Stay vigilant on-line folks - the "Free Sh*t Army" is out to get your money without working for it!!

~Will
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I love having fun with those clowns. I've had some pretty hilarious conversations with them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
If someone responds to a classified ad of any kind  and says I am interested in your "ITEM" instead of saying what it is you are selling, its a scam!

BUT, I usually respond and tell them the item is theirs, and then give them a fake LEO or FBI agent name and address to send the money to.  Surprisingly I have never heard back from any of them after I send that info :)

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top