Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 1/23/2016 1:59:05 PM EDT
Greetings from AZ.

Headed out with the wife and kids on a roadtrip in late May / early June. First to my grandpa's outside of Yellowstone, then Seattle, Portland, Redwoods in Ca, Tahoe, Vegas, back to AZ. I have a bunch of stops on the way, should be a blast.

First leg of the trip is our house > Idaho. Zion is half way, give or take an hour.

Worth the stop? How's the camping situation out that way? If not good, then are there any places relatively close to grab a room for cheap? I'd be fine driving straight through to ID, but have heard good things about Zion so would like to stop for a day or so. We enjoy the outdoors, hiking, photography, etc.

Thanks y'all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a camp ground in Zion but it is packed in the summer and you are very close to the neighbors. You can make reservations 6 months in advance which is highly recommended.

Watchmans Campground Reservations

St George would have the cheapest hotels 1hr drive away.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Zion is awesome. You absolutely have to stop and spend as much time as you can.

Last time I was there I stayed at the Bumbleberry Inn. I know, ridiculous name, but it's a good spot.
Minutes from the park entrance, rooms weren't fancy but were clean, breakfast included at the restaurant in front of the hotel.

Angel's Landing and Observation Point are the 2 best hikes in the park, in my opinion.

If you get a chance while you're in the area also check out Bryce Canyon and/or Cedar Breaks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife and I stayed in Springdale, Hampton Inn, right down the street from the park entrance. Zion Brew Co is on the right between the Inn and the entrance, good brew. It was funny when we ate at a stone hearth pizza place in St George and I asked the guy what beer they served. I realized once I asked and he looked at me like I just landed my spaceship, that it was dry there. If you want to hike the Narrows, there's an outfitter nearby before the park where you can rent the boots, suit, etc. I only went as far as I could barefooted with my pants rolled up, the water is very cold.
Take a good camera, even so, the pictures don't do the scenery justice as you see it in person.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
You can camp on BLM land which is everywhere.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I can recommend the Desert Pearl. Beautiful location, very clean, very reasonable rates, huge rooms. Right in the middle of Springdale. Love it and Zion, been several times. Check Tripadvisor.

The Hampton Inn is relatively new and looks in great condition, too.

Places to eat:
Zion Pizza Noodle
Whiptail Grill
Café Solei
MeMe's Café
Oscar's
Bit & Spur
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the recommendations so far fellas. Looking forward to checking out some of Utah on our road trip.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
We are staying at Zion lodge.  It's rustic but nice, and inside the park
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
there is a little brewery right outside the entrance to Zion. It was tasty. When I went down, it was on a whim and I just loaded up one Friday morning, drove to Zion, hiked angels landing and the emerald pools and then started looking for a hotel. Everything was full. I ended up staying in Hurricane UT which wasn't a terrible drive, but a little planning would have been handy. That next day I hit up observation point. Both angels landing and observation point were awesome, but my advice would be to get on the first bus (can't drive to the trailheads) so that they aren't packed when you get to the top.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm curious if the brewery lets you take growlers or anything?  I'd be nice to have a drink in Watchman campground, but I don't know how strict they are with the no alcohol policy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious if the brewery lets you take growlers or anything?  I'd be nice to have a drink in Watchman campground, but I don't know how strict they are with the no alcohol policy.
View Quote

I doubt that any issues would arise if you behave yourself and pour it into a cup that doesn't identify it as being alcohol, but when I lived in UT i learned they take their alcohol rules seriously.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top