Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2015 8:19:06 PM EDT
Never done one before and was getting a clone M16A1 80% as the last part to a Mk12 build but I have zero idea how to finish one and would be scared that I'd ruin it or it would have some detrimental effect on the gun.

How do you usually go about finishing them legally; is there someone who can legally do it or do I physically have to be the one? Not looking to get anyone into trouble, I just have absolutely no idea about this.

If legal, is there anyone near St George that can finish it? Feel free to IM me if you don't want to post here or nuke the thread if this is somehow asking for something illegal.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Never done one before and was getting a clone M16A1 80% as the last part to a Mk12 build but I have zero idea how to finish one and would be scared that I'd ruin it or it would have some detrimental effect on the gun.

How do you usually go about finishing them legally; is there someone who can legally do it or do I physically have to be the one? Not looking to get anyone into trouble, I just have absolutely no idea about this.

If legal, is there anyone near St George that can finish it? Feel free to IM me if you don't want to post here or nuke the thread if this is somehow asking for something illegal.

Thanks
View Quote

Buy the jig and complete it yourself. That's totally legal, assuming you're not a prohibited person.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy the jig and complete it yourself. That's totally legal, assuming you're not a prohibited person.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Nope, definitely not prohibited; I just don't know the exact legality behind them and didn't want to do something illegal or ask someone to do something illegal.

My problem is I've never done this, and I'm mechanically a bit of an idiot. Would rather just have someone/pay a company/find a local 'build party' or local 80% expert to finish it for/with me or whatever is legal and was seeing if that even existed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Dixie Gun Worx used to do build parties but I don't think they do them anymore. They might know someone who does though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:07:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Without a vote from Congress, ATFE Director, B. Todd Jones, released the following ruling, which makes it illegal for a machine shop to rent or loan their equipment to a private individual so that individual may complete an 80% receiver.  It is also illegal for a private individual to complete an 80% in their friend or neighbor’s garage using using the friend’s equipment.  Essentially this means the only way to complete an 80% lower is to buy your own equipment (jig, drill press, drill bits, or CNC machine, etc.) and finish it in your own home.
View Quote

http://www.gunfightertactical.com/atf-shuts-down-completion-of-80-lowers/

ATF Ruling

That being said, you will have to do it yourself. The best way is with a CNC but you probably don't have one or $300,000 to buy one. Second best is a mill. Again, you probably don't have one of those either. That leaves a drill press (or hand drill if you're feeling adventurous) and a jig.

Youtube is your friend. It will literally give you step-by-step instructions.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top