Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 8/26/2015 11:16:49 PM EDT
Will be in SLC 9/25-28. Was doing some research on TripAdvisor for a hotel noticed several of the hotels in the downtown area all had complaints from very recently about the homeless / bum population around the hotels. It may be some over reaction but this was by multiple posters on several hotel selections.

Mostly looking at ones around the old Rio Grand and Union Pacific stations, and Pioneer Park? areas. Seems to be a lot of things to do in that area, but maybe not if we'll have to constantly be on alert for panhandlers and various vagrants.

So is it really that bad? Or just damn tourists afraid of their own shadow?

Where's a good place to stay then? Will be doing some "downtown" touristy things, some surrounding countryside / lake things. Is the TRAXX a viable option to stay near and take downtown? Trying to avoid driving after visiting (hopefully) different brew pubs. Still shocked at the amount of such places and bars in the area. I thought it was a no go in Utah.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The Gateway, which is a ritzy shopping center containing the Union Pacific station is directly north of a homeless shelter. Do not stay around there.

Although the cops and city regularly try to clean up Pioneer Park, it is still the place you do not want to go. Homeless and druggies abound.

The Main Street Crossing between the two halves of City Creek Center usually have a couple of panhandlers, but I haven't found them to be very obnoxious. Temple square sometimes has a few panhandlers or Bible thumpers being annoying OUTSIDE on the sidewalk. They aren't allowed inside, and LDS church security, although you won't see them, is always present.

I would say it's mostly tourists being extra nervous. After going to other cities like San Francisco, the panhandlers and homeless aren't that big of a deal. I've never felt unsafe in any parts of Salt Lake City.

But I would still completely avoid Pioneer Park. There's nothing good to see there. Only trouble.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Looks like we'll stay elsewhere in the city and avoid specific spots.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never felt unsafe in any parts of Salt Lake City.
View Quote

+1. Homeless seem to be everywhere in SLC though. Certainly more concentrated in certain areas as you now know.

Also, if you like Pizza, check out "The Pie" while you're here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Pioneer Park is a de facto homeless camp.

It's one square block.  And there is a division of the police force dedicated just to that one block.  At any time, day or night, there is at least one unmarked police car circling it.

There are lots of great places around here, but that's not one of them.  Stay somewhere else.  :-)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep.  Avoid the park.  The only time when it is really ok to go there is during the farmer's market.  The cops roll out heavy to keep the bums pacified.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]
As a barely related point of interest, Salt Lake PD are allowed to carry 1911s in Condition One (with thumb strap under the hammer) as their duty weapon. Not many of them do, but I see them periodically.

And that, is awesome!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, there are
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude pioneer park and rio grande street are hobo ground zero.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely a higher concentration of bums on the west side of downtown.  As others have mentioned, there's a homeless shelter just to the west of the Gateway mall and Pioneer Park is always full of bums.  That said, I doubt you'd care assuming you're staying at a normal hotel.  I would, however, recommend staying a couple blocks east in downtown proper (but remember, downtown SLC is not big).
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

+1. Homeless seem to be everywhere in SLC though. Certainly more concentrated in certain areas as you now know.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You haven't had Settebello's pizza if you're suggesting The Pie.

The Pie is still good, and is a different type of pizza,  its thicker.

Settebello's is stone oven, crushed tomato, chewy dough goodness
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Definitely a higher concentration of bums on the west side of downtown.  As others have mentioned, there's a homeless shelter just to the west of the Gateway mall and Pioneer Park is always full of bums.  That said, I doubt you'd care assuming you're staying at a normal hotel.  I would, however, recommend staying a couple blocks east in downtown proper (but remember, downtown SLC is not big).
View Quote

A good rule of thumb is to avoid bums, stay east of The Little America Hotel
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Pioneer Park is only good to go on Saturday mornings because of the Farmers Market other than that avoid the area. Plenty of Hotels on West Temple, you'll be in walking distance of most everything central downtown and if not Traxx is an option. Free fare zone downtown if you're bar hopping. If you want to avoid all the BS, you can head up to Park City and eat and drink up there (about 25 minutes from downtown), awesome scenery at this time...
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
So jelly OP, I was supposed to be in SLC and Moab soon but my father in law is ill so we canceled the trip.  I'm super bummed, I want to Utah very bad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So jelly OP, I was supposed to be in SLC and Moab soon but my father in law is ill so we canceled the trip.  I'm super bummed, I want to Utah very bad.
View Quote

We've been in Utah since the 16th. Flew in to LV. Stayed in St. George (Zion), Cedar City (Bryce) and Richland (Hwy 12). On our way to Yellowstone before coming back to SLC to fly out.

Beautiful state. Blondes, beer, good food. What more could you ask for?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm currently staying in the DoubleTree downtown off of 600 South and it is actually a decent hotel with good food nearby. The Park Cafe is ...awesome.

I've stayed here a couple of times before recently and have always felt that it was safe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted, thanks. We'll try them out next time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Edit: Spoken for/given away.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm going to be in the Sandy area Fri,Sat,Sun.

I still have an totally unused can of "Bear Deterrent" about 8-10oz size. Anybody interested? Free as we can't take it on the plane back home. Hate to just toss it.

We did see bears. Just kept them at an acceptable distance.
View Quote

Dude. You posted a thread about the homeless problem. And have left over bear spray. You know what to do. And post vids.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I've almost had to put down a few aggressive hobos
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm going to be in the Sandy area Fri,Sat,Sun.

I still have an totally unused can of "Bear Deterrent" about 8-10oz size. Anybody interested? Free as we can't take it on the plane back home. Hate to just toss it.

We did see bears. Just kept them at an acceptable distance.
View Quote
I live in Draper (just south of Sandy) and I take Boy Scouts on hikes and camps in bear country. Went to the Wind Rivers for a 50 miler this summer. I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top