Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 3:03:13 AM EDT
For all you out-of-staters / mil dudes..

Failed my safety inspection today due to 20% tint on driver / passenger windows. Had it installed while on active duty. Now that I'm out, I registered the car in Utah like a good, law-abiding citizen. Never even thought tint would be an issue as there are blacked-out cars all over this state.

And yes, you must have windows installed in order to pass the inspection (according to a lady at the Utah public safety division) so you cannot remove them or roll them down and pull the fuse. Guess a razor blade and some Windex are in my near future.  Added bonus, I get to do this again in a couple months with my truck.

Just a heads up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I know for a fact that Paul's Auto and 4X4 will not check for functioning windows(they will fail you for tint too dark).

For six years I have taken my Boss' car down there, rolled down the windows and pulled the fuse.

No issues provided everything else was kosher.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a loophole in the law by the way.  If you or anyone in your family has skin cancer, you can get a note from your doc and take to DMV and they will allow darker tint on all the windows
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is a loophole in the law by the way.  If you or anyone in your family has skin cancer, you can get a note from your doc and take to DMV and they will allow darker tint on all the windows
View Quote
Have you got any reference for that? I've never heard of it. I've been a doctor in Utah for 11 years now, and while I've been asked to write notes for a lot of weird things, I've never gotten this one.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting point on the skin cancer exception. I am interested in a source as well; melanoma runs in the family. A quick search shows that this was proposed by never made it to a vote.

http://www.tintcenter.com/blog/2012/02/utah-tint-law-amendment-dies/

Utah law on tint

Quoted:
I know for a fact that Paul's Auto and 4X4 will not check for functioning windows(they will fail you for tint too dark).

For six years I have taken my Boss' car down there, rolled down the windows and pulled the fuse.

No issues provided everything else was kosher.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thirty years ago, most shops were willing to look the other way on a LOT of stuff.  But, the DMV/EPA have really cracked down on that, and so shops are much less willing to do it these days.

But, if you establish a relationship and repoire with a shop, your chances of having them look the other way go way, way up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you got any reference for that? I've never heard of it. I've been a doctor in Utah for 11 years now, and while I've been asked to write notes for a lot of weird things, I've never gotten this one.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a buddy who owns a tint and detail shop.  He told me about it.  I will ask him and report back
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Proof as promised.  I was off a little bit, its done through the UHP, not DMV, but none the less, these docs below will allow you to tint darker by one whole shade

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm. So that's not really for melanoma. That's for people with some kind of light or photosensitivity. I wonder how many of these have ever been submitted to UHP and how many were approved?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for posting that form; I saved it in case I need to reference it again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmm. So that's not really for melanoma. That's for people with some kind of light or photosensitivity. I wonder how many of these have ever been submitted to UHP and how many were approved?
View Quote

People with melanoma would be photosensitive as sunlight can worsen their condition.   My buddy who owns the shop has had quite a few of these come through and they have all been skincancer related
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to a shitty hole in the wall place in rural utah. They'll pass you just fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I've run my cars and trucks to several different Jiffy Lubes in the Salt Lake Valley. I've never had any of them mention they were too dark.  However I have had the dealer tell me my car windows were tinted too dark to pass.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go to a shitty hole in the wall place in rural utah. They'll pass you just fine.
View Quote

Pretty much. I have crazy mods on my Jeep.

Just have to go to the right people.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top