Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2015 1:49:14 AM EDT
We are looking for a vacation home for a place to get away and tax reasons. We have been looking at the Duck Creek Village area and properties and cabins seem to be pretty cheap. I know some are seasonal, but we are looking a 4 season place. I also see there are a ton of rentals there, which we also might take advantage of if we buy there. There seems to be a ton of stuff to do in the area, so I'm confused as to why is the pricing so reasonable there? Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have family that has property there, and we enjoy the area. It's a good basecamp for hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. lots of great ATV trails too. Not sure why pricing is what it is.

Geocaching is a great way to see things you wouldn't otherwise see down there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#2]
We were in sort of a similar situation a couple yrs ago and went looking around in Duck Creek and Brian Head. We lived in St George at the time. We ended up taking a big swing at a foreclosure in ID which got us what we were looking for every day instead of part time. But on to your question.

Brian Head is the main attraction in the winter. They have been struggling for a few yrs so I'm not sure what the rental market is like. I seem to recall lots of vacancies during peak times which would not be a good sign.

Duck Creek is more remote which has a certain attraction. One con is that I think a lot of people also try to rent out their vacation cabin also. Drives the rental rates down. The biggest drawback we saw was the proximity to others. We looked at more than a few that were tucked into some small pockets of other cabins, on small lots,  that looked poorly maintained, some yr round residents, and some banjo playin hillbillies. I would steer clear of these small pockets of cabins.

One of the others deal breakers for us was something simple like water. There are a lot of places that don't have water service.  They are set up with tanks and self contained. Requires a water delivery to stay topped off. Not sure how it works logistically, we never got that far.

The good thing about Duck Creek is it seems to be more user friendly yr round for winter fun as well as hiking, fishing, hunting, camping, etc. It is high so expect lots of snow at different time during the winter. I'm not sure how the roads are maintained, who maintains (plows) them. Again, never got that far.

The biggest pro is the area is beautiful yr round with tons of access for anything outdoors. Good luck.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top