Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 7/17/2015 2:27:45 PM EDT
I am considering taking a job offer in the SLC area that would require me to move out that way.

What do I need to know?  What should I consider?

I know its hot out there but when I visited a few weeks ago it was 100 or so, well its 100 here today with 90% humidity so for sure liked the dry heat better.

Native tricks or secrets?  Wont know anyone when I get there so if I do end up out there maybe a Fellow Arfcommer show me around a bit

***Update 7-24 = I took the job offer, so it looks like Utah here I come!!!!!!!!  Watch out now
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
the only thing I got is don't live in slc, or west valley, go north or south.  that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the only thing I got is don't live in slc, or west valley, go north or south.  that's just my opinion.
View Quote

Why is that?  Just curious
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
slc is the liberal part of the state, west valley is the ghetto
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Age? Wife? Kids? House budget?  Job location?  Commuting tolerance?

Generally houses are more expensive as you (1) go up in elevation and (2) get closer to downtown SLC.  Most of the nicest parts of the SLC area are along the east side up against the mountains.  Traffic is bad if you live south of downtown (although not big-city bad).
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Age 33
wife no
House budget. Depends on where I move too
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Go for it!  I moved out there in 2002 from Kansas, was only able to stay 2 1/2 years but I'd move back In a heartbeat.

I worked in Layton and lived in South Weber (South Ogden). If you like the outdoors, you're going to love it up there. Be prepared for winter though, although being in Iowa now you'll be ready.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
slc is the liberal part of the state, west valley is the ghetto
View Quote

Thats not saying much.  Utah is fantastically Conservative!  SLC being liberal: Just means more concerts, diversity, bars and other drinking & hanging out establishments.

If you like whiskey/bourbon there are two FANTASTIC bars in downtown SLC: Whiskey street & The Bourbon House.

If you don't imbibe the alcohol, then really anywhere in the State is good.

Utah is HORRIBLE for single nightlife & drinking though.

Stupid-stupid ridiculous makes no damn sense alcohol laws.

If you are down with the Mormon-ness and a returned missionary then you are good to go for establishing an instant family.

If you like traffic, and when gas prices go up paying through the butt for gas - OR try to live as close to work as you can tolerate.

Utah can be a bit weird at first.  But the outdoors are UBER-WUNDER-BAR!

Cheers!

~Will
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The wife and I moved to SLC earlier this year. Love it so far. We've been to more national parks and campgrounds in the last three months than we have in five years prior to that. And SLC is somewhat liberal but still overwhelmingly conservative. A lot of of libs here are libertarian leaning. My neighbors are two guys who are married to each other but they still like guns, drinking beer and fishing. SLC is hip as fuck and really fun if you know where to look. Park city is a blast too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:27:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
west valley is the ghetto
View Quote

Dem taco stands tho...
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Exciting things a brewin'
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]
When do you make the move?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When do you make the move?
View Quote

I should be there by end of August
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Well the company I am moving too is in West Valley City so I am sure it will be in the greater SLC area just not sure where yet
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I've lived in downtown SLC for 7 years now and love it.  Yes, there are tons of liberals.  Most of my friends and acquaintances are far more liberal than I am.  However, they almost all own guns.  Like mentioned above, most seem more libertarian leaning.

If you have any questions, hit me up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well the company I am moving too is in West Valley City so I am sure it will be in the greater SLC area just not sure where yet
View Quote

Silencerco?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Silencerco?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silencerco?

Perhaps
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Silencerco listed another job for a graphic designer recently.  I guess some one has to paint racing stripes on the new models or something.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Silencerco listed another job for a graphic designer recently.  I guess some one has to paint racing stripes on the new models or something.
View Quote

My guess is that the graphic designer would design print media items, packaging, as well as show booth items.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats, I need to send my resume to silencerco. Me and my wife have been trying to move to Utah.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Whelp I am here and I love it so far!  The scenery is amazing, the people downtown will take some getting used to but other than that great decision to move out this way
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Looking like the wife and I will be moving to slc in august for crna program at Westminster, got accepted this week!. Anymore advice for where to look for a place to live and public ranges near the city would be appreciated.  

FS2000 hope you enjoy your new location and job.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My guess is that the graphic designer would design print media items, packaging, as well as show booth items.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I toured SilencerCo and interviewed one of the employees for a college project. Amazing place and people. I hope to work for a company like them some day.

Glad you like it out here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looking like the wife and I will be moving to slc in august for crna program at Westminster, got accepted this week!. Anymore advice for where to look for a place to live and public ranges near the city would be appreciated.  

View Quote

Avenues or Sugar House are good places to live. Tons of BLM land to shoot on an hour from the city, out west.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Avenues or Sugar House are good places to live. Tons of BLM land to shoot on an hour from the city, out west.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You picked two of the more liberal places in the valley. However, Sugarhouse would be very convenient if attending Westminster.

Get out of Salt Lake Valley and there's BLM land everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm about as far from a liberal as they come but the areas I mentioned are nice. We haven't had any issues with "liberals" other than our HOA, but that's par for the course.

I'd much prefer to live in the country away from everyone but that's not going to happen around here unless I win the lottery or want a 2 hour commute one way to school. That being said, I am not an expert on SLC or Utah...only been here for about a year.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top