Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 7/13/2015 9:24:19 PM EDT
I am being flown out to dugway for an interview and was wondering if you guys had any info on the area.

Common from Maryland so I am pretty exciting about the opportunity to pop smoke and get the hell out of here.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
But seriously you moving out there or just looking for something to do for a couple days?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
lol,  So in the event that you get grabbed while hitch hiking, stabbing somebody in the vehicle in the chest tends rectify the situations... Interesting.

might be moving out there, the company is flying me out for a second interview and site tour at the proving grounds so its looking pretty good. obviously its the desert, no problem, I was stationed at 29 Palms for a while so Dugway appears fine

how's the shooting out there, I am really into long range shooting, how difficult is it to set up steel and have fun.  How are the schools, have a 9 month old, looks centrally located from a lot of cool outdoor stuff. How's the food, more specifically where are the best steakhouses located.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I  set up steel here and shoot south as far as you want.
a guy I work with, his longest shot out there was 1100m with a .243 and 1400m with 7mm.
bring some bug spray. the mud can get soft out there sometimes so be careful.

I try to avoid weekends as it seems morons show up sometimes. (people parking on the road setting up targets on one side and standing on the other side to shoot, etc) but not too often.   a lot of times i'm the only one out there.  watch for people on dirt bikes and stuff.

but being from tooele, you could drive west and northwest/southwest and do the same thing. geode beds are to the south of you if you like that stuff.
on the salt flats, its salt, so you'll want to clean the dirt off the bottom of your stands.

I don't know anything about the schools out there.

Jericho sand dunes are to the south of you if you like sand bikes/quads
I think there is ok hunting in the mountains to the southwest too, not 100% sure.

best stakehouses you'll probably want to make your own or drive to slc area

I've only stopped in tooele to get gas, and when I did iron work, we built a bowling alley out there.

I think it's also one of the proposed locations they want to move the state prison to.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol,  So in the event that you get grabbed while hitch hiking, stabbing somebody in the vehicle in the chest tends rectify the situations... Interesting.

might be moving out there, the company is flying me out for a second interview and site tour at the proving grounds so its looking pretty good. obviously its the desert, no problem, I was stationed at 29 Palms for a while so Dugway appears fine

how's the shooting out there, I am really into long range shooting, how difficult is it to set up steel and have fun.  How are the schools, have a 9 month old, looks centrally located from a lot of cool outdoor stuff. How's the food, more specifically where are the best steakhouses located.
View Quote

I work out at Dugway too, if you have any questions IM me.

I actually live in SLC and make the commute in every. damn. work day.  But, the three day weekends in civilization are worth it.

We lived in Tooele back when they had an EOD unit at TEAD and I was active duty.  Tooele is a small town.  It has gone further down the drain after the South Area closed down.

SHOOTING: Plenty of places to go shooting.  Only thing that sucks is if you don't go far enough in, then there may be some crossfire or people shooting in your direction.  Firearms safety is not a COMMON SENSE approach to some folks.

SCHOOLS: Dugway is pretty good, but, if you don't live on Dugway then you will have to drive the kids in on Friday (typically your day off!)

Tooele.  Not great.  Pretty polarized community of white trash and religious super-right.  Not alot of in-between or moderate.

Steakhouse?  Not really in Tooele.  Salt Lake Valley.  Or do your own: Sniders meats or amazingly enough COSTCO has the best steak cuts.  Beef price is very expensive though...

Good luck, DPG is an 'interesting' place to work, with alot of rumors about the mission and how work is conducted out there.  The rumors are either/or pure ignorance and malicious jealousy or something like that!

~Will
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#6]
good info,  so what is the no shit travel time from Tooele to DPG and SLC to DPG, I've heard 45 from Tooele and 1:15 from SLC.  I can see the part about white trash and super religious,  I am sure it will be interesting. most of the searches about Dugway lead to something about UFO's.  do any members get together for shoots

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 do any members get together for shoots

View Quote

The only get togethers I've seen on here, they set up on the west side of Utah lake somewhere.  I don't think it happens too often.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]
so what would be the best way to track down a rental (apartment/house/room)  been checking out craigslist and rent.com and the choices are somewhat limited
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]
WWW.KSL.COM is the go to site in Utah. click on the classifieds section

sorry click on the homes tab
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.  I am in slc right now.  Pretty cool little city, went to Christophers steakhouse last night. Not the palm or prime but very good.

Heading out to dugway today
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
We are anticipating a few new open positions shortly...

NEW YORK (AP) — Pentagon officials released a report Thursday detailing recurring problems at an Army bioterror facility that accidentally sent live anthrax to other labs for more than a decade.

At a press briefing in Washington, military officials said half the lots of anthrax produced at the Army's Dugway Proving Ground in Utah contained live anthrax after workers there failed to kill the bacteria before shipping it to other labs.

"By any measure, this was a massive institutional failure" involving a potentially dangerous biotoxin, said Deputy Defense Secretary Robert Work.

He presented the results of an investigation that was launched after the problem first surfaced in May. Officials said several problems contributed to the Dugway failures.

The Pentagon has ordered the Secretary of the Army to do an additional investigation that will specifically try to determine which individuals are to blame, Work said. Dugway officials should have recognized and corrected the problem, he said.

"We are shocked by these failures," he added. "It was absolutely inexcusable."

Dugways's new commander, Col. Sean Kirshner, declined comment, saying he needed time to review the report, said base spokeswoman Sheryl Grubb.

No illnesses have been reported, although 31 Americans — including eight who work for the military — have recently taken medication as a precaution.

Anthrax is most dangerous when it spreads through the air and gets into lungs. But the anthrax was shipped in liquid form in vials, officials said.

Dugway works with biological and chemical agents, and is the military facility that produces the largest amount of anthrax shipped to other labs for research.

Medical technicians are supposed to kill the anthrax bacteria with gamma rays, and then test samples from the lots to make sure the radiation succeeded in killing them. Investigators believe they were trying to kill too much at a time, and then doing inadequate testing afterward.

The problem came to light in May when a private commercial lab in Maryland tested a shipment from Dugway and found live bacteria.

Investigators from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Defense found that 17 of 33 batches produced at Dugway since 2003 had live anthrax.

Anthrax from those batches was initially sent to 86 labs in the U.S. and seven countries. But some labs sent anthrax on to other facilities. So far, the CDC has traced samples to 183 labs, a CDC spokesman said Thursday.

Anthrax is a dangerous infectious disease caused by a bacterium found naturally in soil. It is rare, but people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#12]
nice...

should know in a couple weeks, interview I feel went well, ran about 3.5 hours,  pretty cool area, I am definitely exited about the opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Dugway is an interesting place.  There are ALOT of folks related that work there (both good & bad).

There is GREAT work, with an incredible mission & AWESOME people to work with.

It is out in the middle of NO WHERE, but, the drive is beautiful if you like the high desert & mountains!

GOOD LUCK!

~Will
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is long-range shooting paradise.  I've lived in 8 different States from coast-to-coast, and have been to all but ND, FL, and NE, and UT is hard to beat for LR shooting.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#15]

More reading on: DUGWAY

This should also be used to justify your salary for your work & skillset.

~Will
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top