Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 5/15/2015 3:47:52 PM EDT
I'll be running an Intro AR15 Course at PMAA in 2 weeks.  This will be an affordable, 1-day basic course that helps lay down a foundation for sound gun-handling and familiarity with the AR15 or similar carbine/rifle.

You will basically walk away with a solid handle on:

* Better familiarity with the AR15 external controls, and internal mechanisms, history, capabilities and limitations

* How to keep the gun set-up, well-lubricated, and fed for reliability

* Logical sling set-up for your needs, whether they be vehicle-borne, extended carry, or for shooting at distance

* A solid zero on your carbine, confirmed and position-checked

* Highly competent on how to load, unload, reduce stoppages

* Highly competent and efficient at conducting 2 basic types of magazine changes with live fire

* Basic shooting positions and practical considerations for making hits from them

* Shooting standards geared towards your personal goals, with quantifiable results at the end of the course

After going through this, I will have a better idea of where people are at as we get into the more shoot-and-move courses like in CQM, Team-level courses, and DM.  There are several very switched-on guys eager to move forward with the next stages of evolution as you are finally able to put these skills to use while incorporating team work and leadership.

I have several attendees from courses I have run dating back to 2007, who are ready for more Team-level courses, so we're working on vetting and training more people that are interested in the practical fighting aspects of gun handling and decision-making.

Once we get you through the Intro Course, it opens up CQM (Close Quarters Marksmanship) and DM (Designated Marksman).  Once you have gone through CQM, that opens the door to the Dismounted Fighting Carbine and Small Unit Leader Course, as well as come others we can talk about once a certain level of performance and maturity is demonstrated.

If you have already been to a basic course from reputable instructors, you can plug into CQM and DM.  I prefer to have a good feel of where an attendee's mindset and attitude are before we do anything past the Intro course.

I also teach basic pistol, then a series of CCW Applied Violence, which is an aggressive and close-contact course that will identify your capacity to do escalate with empty hands as you transition to live fire from concealment.  This includes night fire in the series, which is where I prefer to train the most.

There are a number of ranges I use throughout the State.  I usually have people from many surrounding and even distant States attend my courses.  There are many forum members who have attended and returned for additional training, and will be at the next course as well.  

You'll need:

Ear pro
Eye pro
Reliable, properly built AR15 carbine preferred
Lubrication such as Slip2000 EWL or motor oil, thick oils work the best ( we won't be going crazy with the round count though in this course)
At least one magazine pouch on belt kit or vest for mag changes, dump pouch recommended as well
Sling, I prefer VTAC 2-Point, followed by Ares Armor, and BFG VCAS with attachment points front and rear (I use QD sockets or 550 cord)
4 quality, reliable magazines
100rds of brass-cased ammunition is recommended
Gloves are recommended but not necessary
Knee pads are recommended
Appropriate clothing for mountains of Utah at over 6000ft above sea level
Snacks
Classroom materials, notebook, pens
Plenty of drinking water
Sun protection (headgear, long sleeve loose-fitting shirt, pants)

Course fee will only be $130 since it's a simple 1-day course, but a lot of information and training will be packed in.  Course will go from 9:00a.m. until the afternoon.  We have until 5:00p.m. to get it done.

Feel free to PM or email me to confirm.  This is a great course for someone who just got an AR15, or who has been looking for some formal training, but isn't sure where to start.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
PMAA is located just into the mountains off Interstate 80, off exit 134.  If you are in the Salt Lake area, it is a very short drive, even from the west side.

PMAA Range
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Is PMAA open to the public?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, PMAA is open to the public.  Salt Lake PD owns it, but it has flat ranges for general public access.  It also ha steel going up the hill out to 800yds if you want to stretch your legs and live in the Salt Lake Valley, and don't want to drive out to the West Desert and set in your own steel.

Range master is a nice guy, well-run place.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, PMAA is open to the public.  Salt Lake PD owns it, but it has flat ranges for general public access.  It also ha steel going up the hill out to 800yds if you want to stretch your legs and live in the Salt Lake Valley, and don't want to drive out to the West Desert and set in your own steel.

View Quote

Thanks.. I'll try to visit soon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, it's a fun little range.

The Utah Polite Society does a shoot the first Saturday of every month up there, and they welcome newcomers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't confuse PMAA on the south side of I-80 with the Sheriff's range on the north side. The latter is closed to the public and there is often confusion between the two. PMAA is off exit 134.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Any chance you'll be offering this later on?  I'll be out of state on the 29th.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  This course is filling quickly.  It will be a regular thing, with CQM, DM, and Applied Violence CCW courses as well.

Ditto on avoiding the LE-only range north of I-80.  As long as you get off on exit 134 and turn right (South), you're right at the entrance to PMAA.  It's very close for those of us in the Salt Lake Valley.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes.  This course is filling quickly.  It will be a regular thing, with CQM, DM, and Applied Violence CCW courses as well.

Ditto on avoiding the LE-only range north of I-80.  As long as you get off on exit 134 and turn right (South), you're right at the entrance to PMAA.  It's very close for those of us in the Salt Lake Valley.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, will look to join another class later in the year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
For those that are already squared away with zero's, 2 types of mag changes, malfunctions, basic controls of the gun, and shot-timed drills for accuracy and speed, feel free to drop in at the end of the class to run through the quals so I can observe you for entry into the Close Quarters Marksmanship or Designated Marksmen Courses that this course opens you up to.

You will miss out on some of the AR15 history and explanation of the internal workings of the gun in the classroom, but if you are already up-to-speed on solid shooting standards, and don't want to take the whole day off of work, head on over to the range after lunch or if you get off early in the afternoon, and give yourself time to run through the quals at the end of the day.

We shut down at 5 p.m. per the range master, so if you can get there at 3:30-3:45, that should give us enough time to accomplish that.  $25 will cover that offer, which I think it a great way to get folks into the pipeline for CQM and DM.

I like to keep my courses small so I can focus individually as much as possible, in order to provide quality content for each participant.  We're about half-full right now for a 10 person class.

I will be able to handle maybe 5 drop-ins for end-of-day quals.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top