Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2015 10:07:02 PM EDT
OK so 2 gunsmiths, 2 screw ups on my 700... getting ridiculous

First smith cut the wrong pitch threads, so he had to cut 3/4 inch off my barrel to fix and left the threads .3 inches too long for my brake.  Decided to go to a different Smith to fix it, he cut it back, but totally screwed up the crown.. UGH!!!  there is actually a little lip inside the muzzle with burrs all over it

Anyone have a good recommendation that can re crown a barrel ??  this guy offered to fix it, but actually seemed mad about it, so screw that, hes not touching my gun again
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had good luck with Cross Canyon Arms in Ogden as have a couple friends.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that basic machining skills, even with all the tooling we have at our disposal, are becoming more scarce.

With all the disciplined and well-trained, highly experienced machinists retired from the baby boomer generation, the torch has been handed off to their kids' generation (mine), and not that many people seem to be competent or dedicated enough to get basic things like a thread job right.

I have a personal friend who does thread jobs that other smiths insist he used a CNC on, but he does it by hand.  He is very low-key, and does quality, not quantity.  I'm not sure if he is taking thread jobs, as he likes to focus on complete custom rifles with an accuracy guarantee.

I had Cross Canyon Arms do a basic AR15 cut and re-crown for one of my retro projects, and it turned out better than decent in many respects.  The guy that did it is gone now though, last I heard.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Please post up who fucked your rifle up
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

AF Jepson  cut the threads too long

No quarter gunsmith cut them back to  correct length but fucked up the crown and marred up my action pretty bad

Got it fixed and all good now.   Hitting the 800y steel ar PMAA.  
Can still see a bit of marks on my action so ill probably try bluing them a couple more times
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No quarter gunsmith cut them back to  correct length but fucked up the crown and marred up my action pretty bad

Can still see a bit of marks on my action so ill probably try bluing them a couple more times
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who fixed it for you?

~Will
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top