Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 4/2/2015 10:01:04 AM EDT
I am looking for someone who works on Jeeps at a reasonable cost.  Need an axle Swap on my Grand as well as some Monroe quick Strut Assemblies installed.  Any contact info would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to define reasonable cost.
Most shops charge 75 to 95 an hour.

Pauls' Automotive and 4X4 in Sandy has always been good to me, but they are not cheap.  801-255-7472.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to define reasonable cost.
Most shops charge 75 to 95 an hour.

Pauls' Automotive and 4X4 in Sandy has always been good to me, but they are not cheap.  801-255-7472.
View Quote

Yeah, they definitely are not cheap.  First time I have had a mechanic quote more than a dealer :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:38:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Advanced 4wd has treated me well in the past, and worked with me when I didn't have a lot of money.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:40:43 AM EDT
[#4]
(deleted)
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
What's wrong with the Grand's axle? ZJ/WJ's are pretty easy to work on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Needs new pinion and carrier bearings
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had my GM 8.625" rebuilt by Six States in Orem for $200 plus parts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheapest I could find to do the pinion and carrier bearings was around 700 plus tax (parts are $295 included in that)

Pauls wanted $1k for it

Its a Chrysler 8.25 with 3.73 gear ratio

I was getting 1800 range prices from everyone to rebuild the whole dif with new ring and pinion ( thats literally like 15 shops I called)
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cheapest I could find to do the pinion and carrier bearings was around 700 plus tax (parts are $295 included in that)

Pauls wanted $1k for it

I was getting 1800 range prices from everyone to rebuild the whole dif with new ring and pinion ( thats literally like 15 shops I called)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pauls wanted $1k for it

That's insane.

There's literally a dozen WJ/ZJ with front axles intact at Kurt's Pick A Part in Orem. $1800 is more than a third of the book value of the vehicle... Seems a bit ridiculous to me.  The axle isn't hard to rebuild, especially for a shop that's outfitted to do diffs.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
GRS drivelines, Six States Distributors, or Slyco Machine can get you new carrier bearings, but you need to take the driveline off and give it to them for rebuilding/balancing.

Pinion bearing... most mechanics can do it, doesn't have to be a specialized 4x4 shop. I'm a mechanic, I work in South Salt Lake, we do mainly European/Japanese cars so we don't do pinion bearings, but when people come in with American cars needing diff work, I can ask any of the dozens of shops around me to do it and they'll handle it without problems.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GRS drivelines, Six States Distributors, or Slyco Machine can get you new carrier bearings, but you need to take the driveline off and give it to them for rebuilding/balancing.

Pinion bearing... most mechanics can do it, doesn't have to be a specialized 4x4 shop. I'm a mechanic, I work in South Salt Lake, we do mainly European/Japanese cars so we don't do pinion bearings, but when people come in with American cars needing diff work, I can ask any of the dozens of shops around me to do it and they'll handle it without problems.
View Quote

Thanks for the referral to GRS  I took it to them and they seemed like stand up guys, and they had a reasonable price.  Dropping my jeep off to them Monday

Know anyone that can install pre-assembled struts with coils already on?  Most shops want to charge me like 150 an hour because I bought my own parts
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top