Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2015 9:10:06 PM EDT
Hello all, a bit of background, I am from VT, lived in SLC(sandy) back in the late 90's for a few years and loved it, I especially loved southern Utah alot!! Some of my fondest memories are from my time spent there, camping and exploring the desert, lake Powell trips etc...
Fast forward to now, I am married, with two boys, kindergarten age and third grade, my wife and I are tired of the Northeast, the liberals here and the nasty winters and sticky summers.
I have always dreamed of moving back out west and she is fully onboard. We are most interested in western Colorado or Utah, but she is not super fond of SLC congestion and the dreaded weather inversions.  
I have been applying for jobs in my line of work (Fire Alarm Tech) in both states and quickly got a job offer in St. George. It is somewhere we have been eyeballing for a while but would love some feedback from people more familiar with the area. It seems there is alot to love about it, low crime, close to alot of fun things, Vegas, Grand Canyon, nearly unlimited camping, mountain biking opportunities to name a few.  

I understand the summers are really hot and the rest of the year is absolutely beautiful.
Anyway I'd love to hear from you guys on the pros and cons as you see it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Much hotter than the rest of Utah. Lake Powell is fun, but crowded. You're right smack in the middle of several National Parks. Camping and hunting are everywhere. Traffic is minimal and inversions are non-existent. Las Vegas is a quick trip away, if you're into losing money.

I hear VT is beautiful, but the fact that it's in the NorthEast would seal the deal for me to go to St. George.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello all, a bit of background, I am from VT, lived in SLC(sandy) back in the late 90's for a few years and loved it, I especially loved southern Utah alot!! Some of my fondest memories are from my time spent there, camping and exploring the desert, lake Powell trips etc...
Fast forward to now, I am married, with two boys, kindergarten age and third grade, my wife and I are tired of the Northeast, the liberals here and the nasty winters and sticky summers.
I have always dreamed of moving back out west and she is fully onboard. We are most interested in western Colorado or Utah, but she is not super fond of SLC congestion and the dreaded weather inversions.  
I have been applying for jobs in my line of work (Fire Alarm Tech) in both states and quickly got a job offer in St. George. It is somewhere we have been eyeballing for a while but would love some feedback from people more familiar with the area. It seems there is alot to love about it, low crime, close to alot of fun things, Vegas, Grand Canyon, nearly unlimited camping, mountain biking opportunities to name a few.  

I understand the summers are really hot and the rest of the year is absolutely beautiful.
Anyway I'd love to hear from you guys on the pros and cons as you see it.

Thanks!
View Quote

I don't think I could get used to St. George.  It's a beautiful area, but little to no vegetation, and ridiculously hot summers would be a bit too much for me.  Northern Utah is the best of both worlds for this former New Englander.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I was born and raised in San Diego.  My wife and I retired and moved to St. George.  My son and his family soon followed.  

St. George is perfect for us for a number of reasons including the location.

We have a shooting sports park plus a lot of open space to shoot.  State is conservative, cost of living is cheap compared to San Diego, family oriented, A couple of hot months and a couple of cold months, but the rest of the time is great.  Very low humidity.  Plenty of national and state parks, marathons, sports, and all of the major stores are here.  Close to Vegas and California.  

We are not Mormon and have not had any problems with the LDS community.  I have several good LDS friends.  We have our grandson in a private Christian school.  

Basically, I moved from where everyone wants to live to St. George.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was born and raised in San Diego.  My wife and I retired and moved to St. George.  My son and his family soon followed.  

St. George is perfect for us for a number of reasons including the location.

We have a shooting sports park plus a lot of open space to shoot.  State is conservative, cost of living is cheap compared to San Diego, family oriented, A couple of hot months and a couple of cold months, but the rest of the time is great.  Very low humidity.  Plenty of national and state parks, marathons, sports, and all of the major stores are here.  Close to Vegas and California.  

We are not Mormon and have not had any problems with the LDS community.  I have several good LDS friends.  We have our grandson in a private Christian school.  

Basically, I moved from where everyone wants to live to St. George.  
View Quote

Agreed with all statements.  3rd fastest growing area in US right now.  Summers are not that bad, winters are nice, wages can suck depending on your profession. GUN FRIENDLY environment and lots of places to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
St. G is nice, tons to do outside and property is reasonable. The summers are hot and dry.

Prepare for Mormons.  That may or may not bother you. St. G happens to be particularly boring and pious, my goddaughter lives down there and the most excitement we can get on a Saturday night is Buffalo Wild Wings. You're only a couple hours away from Vegas if you need your fix of debauchery.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top