Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 3/26/2015 12:48:40 PM EDT
Wife and I are going to move out of Marylandistan in a few years and would like to move to America.  Specifically we are thinking about Utah.  To get a taste of it, we are going there for vacation this year so we can check things out.   Where should we go and what should we do to get the Utah experience?  The wife is already talking about checking out Bryce Canyon and Arches National Park.  What else should we do?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Wife and I are going to move out of Marylandistan in a few years and would like to move to America.  Specifically we are thinking about Utah.  To get a taste of it, we are going there for vacation this year so we can check things out.   Where should we go and what should we do to get the Utah experience?  The wife is already talking about checking out Bryce Canyon and Arches National Park.  What else should we do?

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef. Rent a RZR and go offroading in Moab. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you considering?

Northern Utah and Southern Utah are almost like separate states. They have very different climates. Most of the population is in Northern Utah as well.

My local Church leader is a black guy from Maryland and he has liked the change.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone always says "see this" "see this"....all in the south.

You guys are missing out not going to the High Uintahs.  (if camping and stuff is your thing)

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
My suggestion would be to check out the SLC/Ogden/Provo area during a normal weekday.  Gotta take in the Downtown SLC area, Hill AFB, and Cabelas. There is also this big ass hole in the ground to the west of SLC.  Wendover is "interesting".

Be prepared for culture shock. Freedom isn't really free and a lot of people can't handle it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#5]
If you and your wife are into SNOW sports or outdoor activities then its worth it.

Depends on what you mean by FREE though.

There are downsides: Its the high desert and we are in the middle of a worsening drought.  

I love the high Uintas, the Stansburys and the Dugway ranges.  

Southern Utah has a nice dive spot in Sand Hollow.

There is a lot here, but there is always a little bitter with the sweet.

Going to the TOURIST HOTSPOTS will not give you a taste of Utah.  Only of some great scenery and TOURISTS.

Get off the beaten track.

~Will
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool, thanks guys.  We're flying into SLC in October and immediately driving down to Moab for a few days, then driving back to SLC for a few days before catching the return flight.  

Anything we should stop and do at any point during 4 hour drive between Moab and SLC?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool, thanks guys.  We're flying into SLC in October and immediately driving down to Moab for a few days, then driving back to SLC for a few days before catching the return flight.  

Anything we should stop and do at any point during 4 hour drive between Moab and SLC?
View Quote

I would suggest driving the Alpine Loop. (Provo Canyon to American Fork Canyon) Should be colored up with fall colors. Plus you can Check out Sundance, The Provo river... Depending on the weather it could be spectacular  possibly snowy. Keep in mind the general season Elk and Deer hunts run through Oct. so if you are planning on hiking in areas like the Uintas, or other areas you may want to wear Orange.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Keep in mind the general season Elk and Deer hunts run through Oct. so if you are planning on hiking in areas like the Uintas, or other areas you may want to wear Orange.
View Quote

Excellent point!

There are some "ELMER FUDD" types that cannot be bothered with getting out of their side by sides or off their ATV AND ID what they are shooting at...

~Will
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The weekend of October 15-19 is one of the busiest of the year in Moab. This is because of a two-day school holiday for the Utah Teacher's convention. It's also sort of timed with the start of hunting season.

There ain't a hell of a lot to see between Salt Lake and Moab honestly. I'd swing through Dead Horse Point State Park on my way to Moab however. It's bigtime worth it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Be VERY careful on Highway 6. It is very dangerous. Pay attention, no messing with phones or GPS. I was at a fatal accident scene just a few weeks ago there.

Ray's Tavern in Green River is really good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Be VERY careful on Highway 6. It is very dangerous. Pay attention, no messing with phones or GPS. I was at a fatal accident scene just a few weeks ago there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highway 6 is no joke, especially the canyons between Spanish Fork and Price/Helper. If you've never driven through there before, I wouldn't advise going any faster than the posted speed limit. Price to Moab should be much more open and flat though. Though sometimes that creates situations where people think they can pass you in time and there ends up being alot of brake lights involved.  

Last time I went to Ray's Tavern in Green River it was pretty good, that was a while ago though. There was also a small Mexican restaurant not far from there, forget the name, but the appetizer chips must have had meth or something in them, I couldn't stop eating them. Their tacos were excellent too. No idea if they're still there or not.

In all actuality, the drive from SLC to Moab is a pretty good sample of Utah. You'll pretty much see all the outdoors that the state has to offer, from mountains with pine and quakies, to the high desert scenery littered with sagebrush, to the red rock desert in the south. And while you're taking it all in, don't forget that it's also one giant shooting range.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the highway 6 warning.  You guys aren't lying:

http://www.npr.org/2009/11/29/120716625/the-deadliest-roads-are-rural
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I also forgot to mention that right after Price, traveling down to Moab from SLC, is a small town called Wellington. The speed limit drops down to 40 as soon as you enter it, and there's plenty of signs that tell you so. If you round the corner and you're going over 40, there's a very high chance that you're going to get pulled over, I think half the city's annual income comes from speeding tickets. They've even pulled over and ticketed UHP (Utah Highway Patrol) cars.

There's also a prehistoric museum in Price if you're into that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hadn't seen that, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

As well as being a route that explosive laden trucks frequent also.

~Will
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

~Will
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Will

Kaboom of '05
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah pretty regularly between 1 ton and 18 tons of explosives go through there.

That one was bad, also it came a few feet from disrupting banking on the West Coast until the FO could get repaired!

Hiway 6 has gotten better, but, there are some spots...  Then there is weather, Plus other inattentive drivers!  YUCK!

~Will
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Hit all the NP's like stated.

As an out of stater I would recommend SLC or Park City area before anywhere else.  They're "normal" cities.  Utah isn't kind to those who want entertainment thrown at them, but if you're motivated to go outside, you could spend years going to different camps without a repeat.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top