Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 3/11/2015 2:19:58 PM EDT
Anyone work at ATK?  ...Used to be Thiokol with a Bringham City mailing address but facilities at Promontory Point?

Anyone know someone who does?  

Early in my career I had intense interest at Thiokol's facilities, particularly the T-97 thrust test stand.  I visited there several times and witnessed one test.  I would like to ask someone if the T-97 test stand was modified to test the solid rocket motor to be used on the Orion vehicle.

IM me please.

Thanks in Advance.

John
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't work there, but took my five year old up to see the SLS test this morning. Very cool to see and feel in person.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You were parked on the highway?  

I'm pretty sure that's the test stand where the T-97 stand was; it might still be called that. I see the building that covers the rocket when it's being assembled.  It's on rails and moved far forward of the rocket during a test.  The building can also be used to heat or cool the rocket prior to a test--to 'condition' it.

The rocket pushes against this huge reinforced concrete block called the thrust abutment. I can't tell if it's visible in the picture--it should be visible from the highway if it's T-97.   What's on the opposite side of the block from the rocket is of interest to me: the longitudinal load calibrator. I redesigned the original one but I don't know if it was ever actually rebuilt. I'd love to know if it was and how well or poorly it turned out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked at the pics again and I think the building the covers the calibrator is visible. It doesn't move for a test.

I'm thinking subjectively but the building seems longer than it originally was. It would have to be longer to incorporate the redesign.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a video they put up that shows some different angles, you might be able to see what you are looking for in some of the shots.

We were parked along the highway. After watching this clip a couple times, if you pay attention to the lower portion of the screen at about the 17 second mark you can see what looks like the head of a person walking along in front a red tank. With what we felt and heard as far away as we were, I can only imagine the sensations for him, lol. Disregard, watching it on a larger screen makes me think it is a bird.

My dad did some work on the building that is on the tracks many moons ago, but hasn't had any contact with anyone there for years and years.

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top