Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 7:14:33 PM EDT
So I'm in Davis county, and recently bought some ceramic plates for work. The packaging was minimal, and I'm worried about hairline cracks and such. Talking to the company I bought them from, or at least trying to in the meantime.
Wondering if anyone has a bead on someone thats done it or can do it, whether medical or industrial.
My worry would be walking into a medical office and them saying it will cost $300.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Call up a few machine shops and ask if they can recommend a lab that does material testing (xray, magnetic particle, ultrasonic).
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Alright.  Will try that, thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have access to portable xray equipment but I am not sure if it would be precise enough to detect a hairline crack in your plates. I would certainly want a professional to check them out if my life depended on 'em.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call up a few machine shops and ask if they can recommend a lab that does material testing (xray, magnetic particle, ultrasonic).
View Quote

Xray may work, but if the source and film / receiver plate are not lined up with the crack, it will disappear.  Mag particle only works on magnetic metals, so ceramic plates won't show anything.  Ultrasonic could work.

Liquid penetrant would be ideal.  It's relatively inexpensive and easy to use.  You need three cans (cleaner, dye, and developer).  Just follow the instructions and you will see any little cracks.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Would try the spray, but the plates are cordura wrapped. Don't think it would work.  Looks like I may be sending back to the company. Funny when you dispel their claims of packaging with pictures, opposite of what they claim on how they're5 normally shipped.  Thanks all for the help.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top