Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 3/4/2015 8:40:35 AM EDT
Do you know anyone that can check headspace in the SLC area?  Recommend a gunsmith that has done it for you?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Try calling these guys. Last time I was in there there were specializing in AKs and Saigas.
High Energy Arms
Address: s 84010, 1635 S 500 W, Woods Cross, UT 84010
Phone:(801) 296-2744
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Barlow's Custom Guns is best known for their work on 1911's, but they make some awsome custom AK's.

2698 S Redwood Rd, West Valley City, UT 84119

(801) 973-4788
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking you probably got it done by now. I don't get to the htf very often. If you have a 5.45x39 or 7.62x39 I'll be happy to do it fo free. The problem is I'm up around the Brigham area.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to everyone that has posted.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm thinking you probably got it done by now. I don't get to the htf very often. If you have a 5.45x39 or 7.62x39 I'll be happy to do it fo free. The problem is I'm up around the Brigham area.
View Quote

Very COOL offer.  THANKS!
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
No problem. I'm having so much fun building these. Just thought I'd help someone out.

Just curious why do you think your rifle has a h/s issue? Is it a homebuild or store bought? Maybe it is something easily fixed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...Just curious why do you think your rifle has a h/s issue? Is it a homebuild or store bought? Maybe it is something easily fixed.
View Quote

No problem.  I purchased an Arsenal SLR-107UR that was new, never fired.  Upon getting around to fully inspecting the rifle, I noticed the bolt numbers did not match (55 numbers off) the rest of the rifle (trunnion, bolt carrier & dust cover).  Without doubt, the rifle was unfired.  The previous owner offered to take it back, but I declined.  I wanted this rifle.  My concern was that with the bolt number being different, it wasn't likely head spaced with the rifle as it was assembled.

When I called Arsenal, they were initially very helpful.  They explained that it was likely switched out during the assembly, by mistake.  The builder likely grabbed the wrong one as he/she was putting it back together after painting...  I was getting ready to send it back to Arsenal and they then informed me that it was too old for them do cover it under warranty, even though it was new...

I was able to talk with a Gunsmith in SLC and he took the time to do a safety check on the bolt to the rifle.  I made sure the rifle was on SAFE.  He had me pull the bolt from the carrier and insert a new cartridge into the bolt face, under the extractor.  Then slide the bolt w/ cartridge into the chamber and check to make sure the bolt locks into the trunnion completely and that there isn't excessive play, or too tight.  He explained that as long as this was ok, the rifle will be safe to fire.  Once I fire it, I can check the spent cartridge for any signs of excessive head spacing and measure the cartridge for growth.  

Things have checked out well by following his instructions.  Next time I head to Cache County, I'll give you a heads up and see if you're available to check it out with the gauges.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
While that was more of a expedient method I think you're fine. Arsenal factory builds are considered to be some of the best. If it was a century build I would worry, as some of thiers I have checked have been functional, but all over the place from loose to tight. If it was mine the ocd in me would want to gauge it.  Just keep an eye on your fired cases and anything abnormal while shooting it. Have fun.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top