Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 2/19/2015 10:37:15 PM EDT
Thinking of taking my wife on a round-about trip thru the area. Would like to set up my wall tent in the Moab area first, never been there.

Any suggestions? The trip will be south from SLC to Moab, than to St. George, to Vegas area than north on 93 to Jackpot and than back to Idaho. Maybe 5 or 6 days.

SLC is the furthest south we've been in Utah.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
What dates are you planning on for Moab?

Desert or mountain camping?

For your Moab to St George leg I recommend taking Hwy 24 just west of Green River on I-70.

At Torrey take Hwy 12 to Hwy 89 and then finish with Hwy 9 into St George. Taking this route you can see

Goblin Valley, Capitol Reef, Petrified Forest, Kodachrome, Bryce, and Zion state and national parks.

If you don't have that much time for that section just stay on Hwy 24 and head west towards Hwy 89.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Within the next 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been doing a good bit of research for my September trip.  16 days.  Moab-Cap Reef-Bryce-Zion-Grand Can-Sedona-Petrified Forest-Carlsbad Caverns- then back home.  Let me know if I can help you.

There is a place north of Moab called Moab Under Canvas.  Glamping tents.

There is a campground in north Moab at the Colorado River.   There is another going NW along the Colorado River as if you are heading toward Grand Junction CO.

Riverside Oasis Campground and Goose Island Campground.  There is also an RV park just south of the Co.  River.

We are actually staying up on Mt. La Sal for our few days there, but we have rented a cabin.  Looks like a nice area but adds 30 minutes to our drive each day.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I'm leaning towards some of the BLM campgrounds with goose island being a possibility.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
There's dozens of camp grounds along 128, 279, Kane Creek, 313, etc. Keep in mind, low temps will probably still be in the 20s, possibly teens. Normally Moab is pretty dead until Easter, but because of the warm weather, it's already busy.

Several of the campgrounds are currently closed for the season, but because of the low temps, the open ones will be plenty of open spots. I like Hunter Canyon and the Ledge campgrounds on Kane Creek. Hunter Canyon will also offer good wind protection.

I live right up the road and am in Moab usually 1-2 days a week.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
This time of year I like Sand Flats but there isn't really any shade or windbreaks. You're only about 15-20 minutes max away from town.

The campgrounds along the river are nice but some of them are still closed and they can be noisy because the highway is right there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]
All of the BLM campgrounds along 128 are now open. Most of them are empty, maybe 6-8 RVs, but we are expecting snow the next 2 days,
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top