Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 10/24/2014 2:47:16 PM EDT
I saw an article today that says the Utah DPS owns the Glock 18 in the Hot Shots video.  Does anyone know what they use it for?  I don't care either way, I think it's awesome they have one.  Just curious about what it would actually be used for.  I wish I could get a chance to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Clearing rooms would be my guess, even then that is questionable in my opinion under police circumstances. It would take a lot of training to be able to use controlled bursts with it.

But I could see the use a ballistic shield guy might have for it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I forget who exactly told me, but I do remember he was an elected official.  

I was at the State Republican convention a few years ago, and this subject got brought up.

Apparently, the Governors security detail has access to Glock 18's.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I forget who exactly told me, but I do remember he was an elected official.  

I was at the State Republican convention a few years ago, and this subject got brought up.

Apparently, the Governors security detail has access to Glock 18's.
View Quote
I've heard that too from two different UHP officers.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
So does Church Security. It is a high volume weapon with a low signature. I know three guys from my old unit that work for the Church doing security, it makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, very interesting.  Especially about church security, I've always been curious about what they had and used.  One of my great-Uncle's worked for church security at Temple Square, but he passed away before I was old enough to ask him any questions or learn much about it.  I always wondered if they had NFA stuff, but I assumed it would be something like MP5s.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Church Security?  Are they sworn law enforcement, or private security?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So does Church Security. It is a high volume weapon with a low signature. I know three guys from my old unit that work for the Church doing security, it makes sense to me.
View Quote

Ah hem, those would be the first presidency's personal security detail.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, very interesting.  Especially about church security, I've always been curious about what they had and used.  One of my great-Uncle's worked for church security at Temple Square, but he passed away before I was old enough to ask him any questions or learn much about it.  I always wondered if they had NFA stuff, but I assumed it would be something like MP5s.
View Quote

Lol, you are well informed.  Yes, those are in the inventory too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense to those guys, but they were painfully obviously armed when I went to a play up in Logan a couple (?) years back. President Monson was just a few rows forward of me. One security dude kept his back to the wall as much as possible. I'm pretty sure he realized I was armed... but its possible he didn't notice. Guy had his head on a swivel for sure.

It was funny, when people realized who came in the side door.

I still find it odd that the church frowns on concealed carry... but has armed security.

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top