Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 9/23/2014 11:33:34 PM EDT
Hello Hometown Forum.

I don’t usually end up posting much, but thought I would pick the collective brains and get opinions.

After several years of trying different career paths (already have a degree in History and another in Criminal Justice), I came to the realization that neither was making me happy, or getting me ahead to really take care of my family.

I have decided to go out on a limb and go back to school to become a CNC machinist. I realize I won’t ever get rich doing it, but I feel like it could take care of my family sufficiently and I would have some job fulfillment, knowing I was creating things that were useful.

I want to make sure I learn both manual machining and CNC, so I can be more marketable.

On top of that, I figured being a machinist couldn’t hurt any with my firearm obsession.

We are looking at a couple different schools here in Utah, and wanted to get some feedback if at all possible. I don’t necessarily want to name them, in case the local knowledge knows of one better than the ones I’ve looked at.

Are there any programs/schools in Utah that would be better/worse than others?

Are there any apprentice programs you are aware of?

Finally, are there any machinists here in the HTF that could give some tips/pointers on what to focus on to be marketable?

Your opinions and information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
5 axis brah, learn 5 axis to be marketable.

Mill/turn guys are also in demand.

If you're in the south end of the SL valley, shoot me a PM, I can get you in the door at a friends shop.

As far as school goes, SLCC will teach you the skills you need to get a cutting edge CNC programming job in 1987. But I'm not much of a believer in the traditional ways of learning. I do MasterCam certification training courses and SolidWorks courses to stay sharp. I am focusing more on design than machining for my career path.

You won't make a million bucks doing this, but turning a piece of material into something useful feels pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks very much for the input and offer for your friend's shop. I'm down in UT valley (Provo/Orem) so a bit too far, especially with zero experience and training thus far.

I will make sure that I take a look at your suggestions, to see if they can help me. Also good to know about a school that isn't up with the times, so I won't spend any time looking.

Appreciate the help. Anyone else have any other information to go with it?
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top