Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 1:56:42 PM EDT
So the office has a potential open position for a transfer to SLC, what am I looking at as far as living conditions(can I buy a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom, 3 car garage, with no bars on the windows for under 150K?)  what are taxes(income, property, sales (6.5%? right)), Are there potential sammich makers(28-35, know where the gym is and what it is for, no kids, and if you are 60 and been unhappily married for 35 years you MAY be biased) who will not require my dunking in a horse trough as a condition of conversation? Would 60K a year be: hookers and blow, living large, living well, living ramen, or starvation? What about 75K?
CCW laws are what? What about suppressors?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Utah is good.
Open Carry OK
CCW is shall issue but does not get you NM or NV
suppressors are a go.
Sammich maker finding is different out here due to the mormon lets get married ASAP mentality. that said, there is still an abundance poontang.
60k is ok, but I dont have a family. my apt is 1 bedroom 1 bath 700/month.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Sales tax is 6.85% in most of the state (except that food has a lower tax rate). I think income tax is 5%, after deductions.

The 28-35, no children, sammich makers are out there, but it will take a bit of looking.

All NFA is good here.

You're probably ok on 60-75K. The 3 bed, 2 bath, 3 garage for under $150K might be a bit tricky, but I haven't looked with those criteria.

Would you be working in downtown SLC? The farther you live from downtown, the less expensive the housing to compensate for the longer drive time. (ok, only partly true. Draper is expensive. Riverton/Herriman/South Jordan less so).

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sales tax is 6.85% in most of the state (except that food has a lower tax rate). I think income tax is 5%, after deductions.

The 28-35, no children, sammich makers are out there, but it will take a bit of looking.

All NFA is good here.

You're probably ok on 60-75K. The 3 bed, 2 bath, 3 garage for under $150K might be a bit tricky, but I haven't looked with those criteria.

Would you be working in downtown SLC? The farther you live from downtown, the less expensive the housing to compensate for the longer drive time. (ok, only partly true. Draper is expensive. Riverton/Herriman/South Jordan less so).

View Quote

I'd be working at the airport, not sure what suburb that is?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All NFA is good here.

West Valley City, Rose Park, Magna are the closest. Rose Park and some parts of West Valley are the closest thing you can get to "The Ghetto" in Utah. I've lived in both and am no worse for the wear. Pretty much anywhere you move to in the Salt Lake Valley would be reasonable commute time. House in the $150k range is going to be tough in the Salt Lake Valley but not impossible. If you don't mind a longer commute, 45min-1hour, then Tooele (tuh-will-uh) should be pretty easy to find that price range in and puts you closer to some good BLM shooting areas.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All NFA is good here.

Not the best, to tell you the truth.  But, the airport is accessible via both I80 and I215, so anywhere close to a freeway entrance can make the commute tolerable, although rush hour traffic tends to flow North toward the airport in the mornings, and South away from it in the evenings, so if that's your schedule, driving will be congested.

There's the train if you're into public transportation, but it's expensive enough that it's not any cheaper than driving - although I don't know how much parking at the airport will run you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Alaska Airlines? My wife was ANC ops for a few years. I fly for Delta and will be based in SLC starting in the fall. We're looking at moving to area from PDX sometime next year.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
take into consideration with Utah
if you are going to be working at the airport anywhere near bangerter highway is good to go, simply jump on bangerter and it will take you straight to the airport

my personal rule of thumb follows
i usually carry when i leave my home (i am around 12600 s)
i will carry if i pass 9000 s
i will not be caught dead without a primary and a backup gun if i am going to pass 5400 s

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

take into consideration with Utah

if you are going to be working at the airport anywhere near bangerter highway is good to go, simply jump on bangerter and it will take you straight to the airport

my personal rule of thumb follows

i usually carry when i leave my home (i am around 12600 s)

i will carry if i pass 9000 s

i will not be caught dead without a primary and a backup gun if i am going to pass 5400 s

View Quote
I work in West Valley City, and use the same rationale.

Note that I do not live in West Valley City. Today it was a Smith 442 and an HK PSP.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#10]
On the west side of I-15 I wouldn't live any further north than 9000 south in SLC valley.  South Jordan and Herriman are OK but a little too crowded for me.  150K is not enough money though.

Tooele out to the West may be cheaper.  I haven't looked at home prices out there in over 10 years though.

I work at the airport as well, but only do the drive a couple times a week.  I'm down in Utah county and it is a 45 minute drive or so.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Rose Park is where you go if you want your shit stolen, or if you want to accidentally bump into a local glory hole.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#12]
There's plenty of 25+ unmarried, non-Mormon women in Utah.  I meet more of those than I do married ones. All depends on the circles you run in and what your haunts are. If you stick to clubs, bars, gyms near colleges you'll not have any problems.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top