Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 10:52:09 PM EDT
I currently hold a Texas DL and CHL and have no plans at all to turn these in.

I'm looking at getting a CHL from OR/Deschutes County as they don't honor my Texas CHL

I am from Oregon and have owned property in Oregon now for many years.

On the Deschutes County CHL Application it states

Residency Requirements

Please select one (1) of the following:
I have a current Oregon driver’s license showing a residence address in Deschutes County,
or;
I have documentation showing that I currently own or lease real property in Deschutes County.

I have tax statements, light bills and even a auto titled in Oregon.

However in the interview process they say you have to have A valid Oregon Drivers License showing an address in Deschutes County to prove residency.  

Do I have to have a Oregon DL or will owning property count?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have to be an Oregon resident or a resident of a bordering state (ID, WA, or CA).

The CHL statute is 166.291: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

"(9) For purposes of subsection (1)(c) of this section, a person is a resident of a county if the person:
     (c) Has documentation showing that the person currently leases or owns real property in the county; ..."

GTG.  They may argue with you, but if you own or lease land here, you are a resident according to ORS 166.291, 9c.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Call  541-383-4425

The woman who runs the office is really helpful and knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replys, I going to stop in the office in a week or so.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You get that chl answered? i see alot of people from out of state that own property here that are able to get local CHL  ymmv but as Sneadheard said the lady at the office is really on top of the rules and such, Fast on renewals and change of address as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top