Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 4:48:35 AM EDT
Hi folks. Recently accepted a job with an Oregon based company that may require me to relocate to the Salem area this summer.

I was out there (for the first time) a few weeks ago and know I don't want to live in Portland, nor fight the traffic in and out of there. I thought my hometown of Orlando had bad traffic...

Anyways, company is located on the SE side of Salem and I'd be a 9-5 M-F desk jockey.

I plan to rent for at least the first year, in case things go sideways and I need to bail. Prefer not to have another apartment, but beggars can't be choosers.

Being from Florida, and currently living in SE Georgia, I'm over the beach and am in awe of the mountains. Also, the thought of snow kinda freaks me out. I've never seen any fall and have only been in just enough to make a shoe print.

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated! Most notably, areas of Salem (and surrounding) to avoid living in.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I lived in Orlando for a summer and visted in the winter several times. The winters are F'n awsome compared to Oregon's. Oregon winters are long, cloudy, cold, sunless and rainy. It rains a lot in Florida....but its Warm! The Summers are much longer and buggy in Orlando but the overall weather in Florida is better. I don't know anything about Salem I but check the weather all over the state and unless you are on the east side that's pretty much how it is. Today is the first day this year where I actually want to go outside. These guys that grew up here love it I guess, coming from somewhere warm and sunny, it's hard to like. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My condolences.

Yes, it rains. ALOT. Not like back home. Here it kind of tortures you. Just enough rain to make it uncomfortable, but not impair you.
Y'all will notice that even the weird people here are nice. Compared to Orlando, Salem will feel like a low-threat environment.
Just remember, half the people in the Valley are related, and the other half know someone that knows you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I was there for 3 days. Only time it didn't rain, or sprinkle, was the 2 hours it took me to get from PDX to my hotel in Salem. As long as people don't drive down I-5 with their hazards on when it rains I should be ok with the rain.

ETA: Just got off the phone with this company, now they want me to relocate asap. Great...
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
SE Salem is generally pretty good.  It's the newer part of town, at least on the east side of the river.  I've lived there pretty much my entire life, so I may be a little biased.

Speaking of the river, you do NOT want to live in West Salem.  Pretty sure I'd kill myself if I had to mess with going over the bridge every day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SE Salem is generally pretty good.  It's the newer part of town, at least on the east side of the river.  I've lived there pretty much my entire life, so I may be a little biased.

Speaking of the river, you do NOT want to live in West Salem.  Pretty sure I'd kill myself if I had to mess with going over the bridge every day.
View Quote
Good point. Also, think of East LA when you think of East Salem. No bueno.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good point. Also, think of East LA when you think of East Salem. No bueno.
View Quote
Yep, North and East are the lower income/higher crime/hablamos espanol parts of town.  Still not BAD relative to a bigger city.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got about 5 possible interesting places but the part that kills me is not being able to go see them. Having to rely solely on photos sucks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got about 5 possible interesting places but the part that kills me is not being able to go see them. Having to rely solely on photos sucks.
View Quote
Try Trulia, Redfin and Google earth street view
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at staying out of Salem proper and looking into Wilsonville and Lake Oswego areas.

How's Beaverton as an option?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Beaverton to Salem is 43 miles
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Commuting to Salem from the south would be less traffic.  Albany, Aumsville, Stayton/Sublimity are all close, but that would put you farther away from Portland if that is important to you.  Most of us natives try to avoid Portland as much as possible because it is a liberal cesspool.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Just go west Salem hills. You do not want to commute from Beaverton. That could be a 1.5 hour commute.

Also check smaller towns depending on what you like.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Op also what is your family situation?

Schools for kids?

Wife that wants to be able to get to portland for shopping?

Family that'll fly in often?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just go west Salem hills. You do not want to commute from Beaverton. That could be a 1.5 hour commute.

Also check smaller towns depending on what you like.
View Quote
And deal with the bridge?  I mean, people do it obviously but I'd much rather avoid it if possible.

OP, what kind of things are you looking for?  Why trying to avoid Salem proper?  We can help better if we know what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I've worked in real estate in the Salem area for just shy of the last twenty five years (not in sales or mortgages, I'm not looking to make money off of you).  The Willamette Valley area, basically Portland south to Eugene, has had a rental vacancy issue over the past two or three years.  That is to say that there is almost no vacancy.  Are you looking to rent a house, duplex, apartment?  Salem overall, especially south Salem, don't have a very high concentration of apartments compared to a lot of places.  

PM if you want to give me specifics of where in Salem you're looking and I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, the company is located in SE Salem at the moment but will be moving into a new facility later this year in Wilsonville. I'm looking for a happy medium right now.

I'm single and currently in an 817 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment that is a tad too small for me.  

I'm looking at an apartment for at least the first 9-12 months depending how things go with the new job.

From the advice of a few at the new place, they suggested Lake Oswego, Tigard, Canby, and Aurora. Lake Oswego and Tigard are a little out of my budget right now but I found a couple places in Wilsonville that seem to work. It's just a pain in the ass trying to acquire a place sight unseen.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Avoid Lake "Ego", too expensive.  If the company is moving to Wilsonville, then look into Canby, Wilsonville, Tualatin.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Canby and Aurora are both pretty nice; Canby is a bit bigger, and bit closer to Wilsonville.  Newberg or St. Paul aren't bad commutes to Wilsonville, either.  I have friends/family in all the towns mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#19]
As long as nothing funky happens with my application, I think I might have a neat little place in Wilsonville in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I live in SE Salem. Right out of city limits. Imo this is the nicer, quieter part of Salem. Like others have said the other areas are lower income and more "si habla espanol". South doesn't get too much traffic other than commercial street in rush hour which is still nothing compared to how Cali was. Easy access to the i5. There's really no reason to have to go to the other parts of town as everything one needs is down here.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Wilsonville to Salem wont be horrible.  I5 south to Commercial/Keubler exit to your job, depending on your work hours might be OK.  As others said, SE Salem isnt bad, avoid NE Salem, West Salem up on the hill is fine but the bridges can suck, lots.  Outside of Salem, Keizer wouldnt be bad, St. Paul, Aurora, Canby are little, and you'll have to drive for just about everything you want.  I'd pass on Woodburn.  IF the job is ultimately moving you, Wilsonville is still a good place and close to the PDX area.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Wilsonville and Tualatin would be good options.

My wife works in Tualatin and it seems nice. Her boss lives in Wilsonville and seems to like it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:15:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Just got notified that I'be been approved for an apartment in Wilsonville. Looks like my move in date is April 28.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm actually going to be working for Radian Weapons in Salem (formerly AXTS) as their sales guy. I'll also be the mod on the soon to be created Radian Weapons subforum under Industry. Not sure exactly what powers I will possess, but feel free to visit the board and engage in some dialogue or just to talk some shit. I've been in the industry for a little over 5 years now and this will be the third manufacturer I have worked for.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:30:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just got notified that I'be been approved for an apartment in Wilsonville. Looks like my move in date is April 28.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm actually going to be working for Radian Weapons in Salem (formerly AXTS) as their sales guy. I'll also be the mod on the soon to be created Radian Weapons subforum under Industry. Not sure exactly what powers I will possess, but feel free to visit the board and engage in some dialogue or just to talk some shit. I've been in the industry for a little over 5 years now and this will be the third manufacturer I have worked for.
View Quote
I wondered who got that job.  I'd applied with Radian a while back, but never heard anything.  Word is they received a lot of applications, so it sounds like you struck gold.  Congratulations and welcome to Oregon!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice! The Underwoods are good people.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Patiently awaiting HTF discount codes

Only kidding. Welcome and best of luck!
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Welcome!

I drive through Wilsonville going to and from work every day. Not a bad area.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Ya'll can drive for shit here haha!

I get it's 65 on I-5, but when the left lane is doing 68, the middle lane is doing 65, and the right lane is doing 63...kinda gets on my nerves.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I get it's 65 on I-5, but when the left lane is doing 68, the middle lane is doing 65, and the right lane is doing 63...kinda gets on my nerves.
View Quote
You're the one who moved to Wilsonville, not me.  That stretch of I-5 around Wilsonville is always fucked up traffic-wise.  There's never a wreck or a vehicle on the shoulder.  People just slow the fuck down right there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds about right

Glad my GF doesn't live in Wilsonville anymore.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hi folks. Recently accepted a job with an Oregon based company that may require me to relocate to the Salem area this summer.

I was out there (for the first time) a few weeks ago and know I don't want to live in Portland, nor fight the traffic in and out of there. I thought my hometown of Orlando had bad traffic...

Anyways, company is located on the SE side of Salem and I'd be a 9-5 M-F desk jockey.

I plan to rent for at least the first year, in case things go sideways and I need to bail. Prefer not to have another apartment, but beggars can't be choosers.

Being from Florida, and currently living in SE Georgia, I'm over the beach and am in awe of the mountains. Also, the thought of snow kinda freaks me out. I've never seen any fall and have only been in just enough to make a shoe print.

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated! Most notably, areas of Salem (and surrounding) to avoid living in.
View Quote

Sorry man but Oregon is now a total commie state.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I grew up in GA and have been in the NW for 10 years now. Welcome to the region! You won't miss the hot, humid summers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Hello, I grew up in Oregon.      There were some commits about the rain.        Oregon is cut down the middle by the Cascades mt's.   On the West side of them Salem, Portland ect gets all the rain.   However a short hour road trip from Salem you will find Bend on the East side of the Cascades.     This is high desert county and gets very little rain.    Great place for a weekend trip.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I came of driving age in Atlanta and drove those mean, fast highways for over a decade before leaving. I share your frustrating with the retardedly slow PacNW drivers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#35]
In for O.P.'s impressions of Or3gun
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#36]
First Impressions:
    Beautiful country. The mountains and hills are quite spectacular to a flat lander like me

Temperature is fine to me. I prefer cooler climates, and I am enjoying this one. Talked to my dad the other day back in Orlando, was 97. No thanks.

Rain and gloom doesn't bother me so far. I've seen about 5 days worth of sunshine, and is preferred, but it's not a big deal

Girls on Tinder are interesting. It's a wide spectrum with some unbelievable "talent" here

I hate hate hate hate hate driving down I-5. I get that I'm 32 miles away from work and there is a commute. No problem. I've had worse. What I don't get / pisses me off is nobody goes. It's 65 and the left lane will be doing 67, middle lane 65, and the right lane 63 with no room to pass anyone
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#37]
ARPC just south of Albany is the premier gun club in the valley. I live on the SE side of Salem and it's about 40 minutes to get down there once you get past Enchanted Forest. If you're farther up north, Chehalem Valley gun club is in the Dundee Hills and sponsors USPSA and Appleseed but no long distance shooting.

This is a great area for microbrews and wineries. Willamette Valley Pinot Noir is world class.

Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF) is the largest 2A lobbying group in the state. They also have a great handbook with summaries of all the Oregon firearms laws. It's great info and saves a lot of time. Local forum is Northwest Firearms. Really a good forum and concentrates on firearms. Politics is allowed, but only as it relates to firearms. For the most part, people try to stay civil.

I'm a transplant, have been here a little over 10 years, and really enjoy living here. The mountains are only an hour away to the east and the coast an hour the other way. Weather is really mild. It does rain quite a bit in the winter but you don't have to shovel it!

ETA: Many of us stay away from Portland as much as possible. As others have mentioned, it's a liberal cesspool. People there are a perfect example of the intolerant left. Now the so called intellectuals are trying to get Oregon out of what they call "the collegiate vote".
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#38]
If cankles won the same way Trump did (lose popular vote, but win the electoral college) would they be pushing this? What would they say to someone who wanted to change it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#39]
LIVE: ANTIFA VS FREE SPEECH IN PORTLAND
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#40]
So......how goes it?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So......how goes it?
View Quote
This.
It's better than Tampa, here.
Not that that's saying much.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#42]
It's alright. Still hate the drive to and from the office.

We're actually moving to a new, much larger facility in December / Jan in Redmond.

People here are convinced Bend is the place to live and is a quick jaunt from Redmond. Everyone I've talked to has warned me that the winter drive would suuuccckkkk.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#43]
OP I moved to the PDX metro area in 2012 from PHX, AZ. First thing I noticed was the low speed limits and the shitty slow drivers. Still drives me nuts to this day...... :) I have never seen such crappy and slow driving in all of the western states that I have been to...... I think it is unique to this place.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/portland-drivers-rank-among-worst-in-country/452478309

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2015/05/oregon_drivers_among_nations_s.html
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#44]
The roads aren't as nearly warm or dry most of the year, maybe that's part of it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, we’re moving.

The couple houses I had my eyes on have all disappeared and it seems like only meth labs and apartments are left in the area.

Oh, and it should be a blast driving a U-Haul through the pass....

I ain’t never seen a snow chain in my life. Hell, I spent $10 on an ice scraper a week ago just to wind up using the card thing from Safeway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top