Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2017 1:45:29 AM EDT
So I'm trying to help out a friend.  He's in New Mexico, but his brother lived in Oregon and just passed away, and wondering if there is anything specific to your State that applies to transferring firearms after death?  I can barely keep up with CA state firearm laws, and know nothing of yours.

The brother apparently had a reasonable sized collection of NON-NFA firearms with a guess-timated value of 50-100k.

1) The firearms were purchased before the brother's current marriage, which was relatively recent.
2) I'm told the brother had 'a trust', and that all his personal possessions were in the trust.  I can only assume that included the firearms.
3) The brother's sister is the trustee, and the executor of his will.
4) The brother has children from a previous marriage.

Assuming the will didn't specify specific firearms going to specific family members, and assuming no one included in the trust wants to keep the firearms, they will most likely plan to auction them off.  So, the question is:  From the State and Federal perspective, who has the authority to sell off the collection?  The Sister?  Does she need to do anything to have the authority to be able to make these transfers?

Can anyone recommend an Oregon-local Attorney that specializes in firearms and/or trusts, that I can refer them to?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
What part of oregon. Few free to IM if you'd prefer. In my line of work I know a lot of attorneys and some around the state that deal with trusts and firearms.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of oregon. Few free to IM if you'd prefer. In my line of work I know a lot of attorneys and some around the state that deal with trusts and firearms.
View Quote
Portland area
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top