Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2016 1:57:07 PM EDT
Just getting the word out.  A group of us volunteers over at Northwest Firearms has been going out to popular shooting sites west of Portland the last few years and doing clean ups.  

We have been working with the Department of Forestry and this year they decided to build out several ranges on public land for shooters.  We had a forest fire last year started by target shooters shooting at trees so they decided to give us better and safer locations to go shoot.   Browns Camp quarry is also going to see a lot of time shut down this year for work.   It also makes it a lot easier for us to clean the sites.  

The first of hopefully 5 ranges is going to be done this week and open on Saturday for us.  A rep from the Department of Forestry and a couple of volunteers will be out to direct people to the location.  

The range is located on N Fork Wolf creek road on Hwy 26 about 30-40 minutes from Portland.  

There will be 2 ~30 yard pistol lanes, a 75 yard rifle lane with a pistol berm off to the side and a 100 yard lane with another pistol berm.  (not pictured).  There will be cement shooting line (not fully in place on these pics) that you can sit behind use to support rifles on bipods.  There will be gravel walkways to the berms as well.  

Getting these build is because of the help and direction of volunteers.  Please help keep them clean and shoot appropriate paper targets (not glass or other junk).  The better we take care of these, the better ranges they will build for us in the near future

Come out test out the site this weekend.  

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//45.7830784,-123.3699448/@45.7833986,-123.3720087,1936m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://imgur.com/a/C0TGX

more information:
http://trashnoland.org/lanes.html
http://tillamookstateforest.blogspot.com/p/target-shooting.html

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for doing all of the volunteer work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, in a way, this really pisses me off.

About 10-15yrs ago I was working with ODF to build a bunch of sweet MTB trails (which never materialized which also really pissed me off but that's another story).  In one of the meetings I brought up the fact that they should make some dedicated "ranges" or "shooting areas" so that way there is less dispersed shooting and people tearing up trees.  They told me no way that would ever fly due to liability and a bunch of other weak freaking excuses.  Looks like they finally jumped on the band wagon or someone some where pulled some strings.  Pisses me off that we could have had decent shooting area out there for over a decade but whatever.  Only downer is all of the idjits and gangsters that shoot at the BC rock pit will venture out there and make that place sketchy as crap.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the spot I found/picked out for our HTF shoots about 5 years ago.

Cool to see it get a makeover.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Kinda sucks. That's been my go-to. Now it's going to be even more crowded
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

About 10-15yrs ago I was working with ODF to build a bunch of sweet MTB trails (which never materialized which also really pissed me off but that's another story).  In one of the meetings I brought up the fact that they should make some dedicated "ranges" or "shooting areas" so that way there is less dispersed shooting and people tearing up trees.  They told me no way that would ever fly due to liability and a bunch of other weak freaking excuses.  Looks like they finally jumped on the band wagon or someone some where pulled some strings.  Pisses me off that we could have had decent shooting area out there for over a decade but whatever.  Only downer is all of the idjits and gangsters that shoot at the BC rock pit will venture out there and make that place sketchy as crap.
View Quote

Yes, I was quite surprised that they did this too.  Last year we were asking them just to yank out the stumps to make it easier to clean.  This year after the forest fire that shooters started they came to us and asked how how to build a range.  I figured they would just start shutting down these places and not asking us how to build a range.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It was either this or it would have got shut down.  Shooters have started several fires there over the years.  one of our clean ups last year we pulled out half of a Honda Civic that was shot up.  Someone else brought a toilet up there and shot it up.  It was slowly turning into a junk yard.  Probably one more $200,000 forest fire to put out and the state would close it.  Bittersweet that we are getting ranges built but people will still trash them.  At least it will be easier for us to clean.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, I was quite surprised that they did this too.  Last year we were asking them just to yank out the stumps to make it easier to clean.  This year after the forest fire that shooters started they came to us and asked how how to build a range.  I figured they would just start shutting down these places and not asking us how to build a range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never mind him, he would complain if he won the lottery that the big check wouldn't fit in his "Man Purse".  
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It was either this or it would have got shut down.  Shooters have started several fires there over the years.  one of our clean ups last year we pulled out half of a Honda Civic that was shot up.  Someone else brought a toilet up there and shot it up.  It was slowly turning into a junk yard.  Probably one more $200,000 forest fire to put out and the state would close it.  Bittersweet that we are getting ranges built but people will still trash them.  At least it will be easier for us to clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I can see the upsides. If this is the first of 5, I think it'll help disperse things a bit.

I haven't been up there in a while, but I typically bring a plastic bag to throw in the back of the truck filled with junk. Usually don't haul out much because extra trash bags are expensive to have picked up, but any bit helps I figure

Who organizes these cleanups of yours? EDIT:: Nevermind, I see that you said Northwest FIrearms
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I was up there a couple of months ago and the place was pretty trashed.    I'm glad it's been improved.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Good on everyone, shocking that the state of Oregon would help out as our govenor is a gun hater and all that. Lets all keep it clean and tidy. Im happy cause this means less people out my way
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Never mind him, he would complain if he won the lottery that the big check wouldn't fit in his "Man Purse".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go wax your head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top