Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2016 8:43:54 PM EDT
Hi everybody. New user here, just starting to get into ARs. Grew up in the country doing some deer and pig hunting, dad's ex-coast guard and a touch paranoid (or prepared, he argues) so I got to handle pistols, shotguns, and rifles. He wasn't into ARs at the time, but now I'm all growed up and have my own guns so I can get whatever I want

Been living in Springfield/Eugene and before that Roseburg for about 2 years now, done a bit of shooting but haven't really met anyone who does it much or is super interested. I'm starting to build my first AR, so far I've got:

• Anderson Lower with Trigger Guard

• ALG Defense LPK and ACT trigger

• ALG Defense 13.5" EMR v2

I'll be adding to that as money becomes available, planning on doing most of my shopping at customar15.net (Integrity Arms) and Primary Arms

I've also got a Sig P226 chambered in .40 and the wife has a newly purchased Glock 43 as well as a Savage .308 she's killed a few bucks with. We're friendly people in our mid 20's, I'm hoping to find some friends who shoot and might even be nerds too. I like science fiction and some fantasy stuff, and play a little bass guitar when I'm really feeling capable (I suck). I'll likely get stuck and want advice or help as I get further into this building thing, so if any of you are somewhat local and feeling inclined, let me know.

Hope everyone's doing good,

Henry
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
These guys don't type much, welcome aboard! It's been awhile but I order most of my stuff from Rainier Arms and Brownells, maybe see if they have what you need. I believe Primary Arms is gtg as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree for some reason we Oregonians don't type much but there are a few of us.I'm down the road from you in Roseburg. You'll find a lot of help and knowledge on these boards.   Another place to check out is Palmetto State Armory . If you are not in a hurry you can get some good deals there. And don't forget to checkout the Equipment Exchange (EE) I took over a year to piece together my 1st black rifle.  
Anyway Welcome aboard
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Eugene as well.

I've purchased locally along with PSA, brownells, rainier, Noveske direct, Troy direct, Daniel Defense along with the EE.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice to hear from all of you! I've been looking at PSA and Brownells, Noveske, Troy, and DD are a bit outside my capabilities for now. Mostly focused on just getting my first one built so I can shoot it/ have it. Thanks for your recommendations!

Does the community get together much or mostly just communicate through the forum? I'd like to find a few people to shoot with and improve with.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The folks out of the Portland area get together every so often.  I've been to one of there get-togethers.  The 2.5 hour drive is a little much to go though.  I would like to go to the bend area for a shoot some time and certainly would meet up around here to shoot.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice to hear from all of you! I've been looking at PSA and Brownells, Noveske, Troy, and DD are a bit outside my capabilities for now. Mostly focused on just getting my first one built so I can shoot it/ have it. Thanks for your recommendations!

Does the community get together much or mostly just communicate through the forum? I'd like to find a few people to shoot with and improve with.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey man, I'm in the Eugene area, I'm in my mid-20's, and I like to shoot about twice a month or so (depending on what I'm shooting, i.e. how much I can afford.  I'd like to think that I'm reasonably well-versed in firearms, so if you want advice with your build or want to go shooting, just let me know.  I check on this forum from time to time, but if you really want to reach me, you can always pm me.

FYI my AR is a PSA upper and lower with a BCM BCG and charging handle, Lantac Dragon brake, and a PA micro red dot.  It's a reasonable budget rifle and has served me well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm 26 and in Eugene. Me and my lady shoot ARs and pistols twice a month. ID be interested in shooting if everything works out.

I'm off on weekends usually...like to go early though like 9am.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
My lady and I are headed to CHL class tomorrow, and this month is insane with a wedding every damn weekend, including ours at the end of the month, but in August all that should calm down.

Love to head out with you guys at some point, I'll keep in touch! And if any of you have some extra parts you want to sell, please let me know! I'll keep an eye on the EE too of course.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My lady and I are headed to CHL class tomorrow, and this month is insane with a wedding every damn weekend, including ours at the end of the month, but in August all that should calm down.

Love to head out with you guys at some point, I'll keep in touch! And if any of you have some extra parts you want to sell, please let me know! I'll keep an eye on the EE too of course.
View Quote

No extra parts, but if you're in the market for a conceal carry pistol after the class, I have a FNS9-Compact+Incog holster I'll be selling in the next month.

Also, congratulations on your upcoming marriage!  
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
This board is I think about 90% lurkers, but they'll sound off when something comes up they're interested in/knowledgeable about.  

I'll toss out another congrats on your wedding.  Don't read any posts in the General Discussion forum regarding women or marriage.  Instead, enjoy being married.

As to your other non-gun interests, this site is full of other like minded people.  Check out both the Books board and the Movies board over over in the General forums.  Lots of posters read/watch sci-fi and fantasy.  The Music board also in the General forums has an insanely knowledgeable base for musicians.  

I'm pretty sure they still have links to some very good YouTube videos on AR assembly somewhere in the AR forums, Build It Yourself, I think.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome aboard. When we get together it's usually on Hwy 26 west of Hillsboro so a bit of a drive from Eugene but it's an all day event. My wife and I are kind of geeky so if you ever want to go shot at Tri-County (in Sherwood) and talk Star Wars just let me know.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome. Its a pretty quiet part of the forum but youll find a ton of info here. There are a few of us in Portland that get together a lot but that's about all I see. The HTF shoots are fun as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#13]
derek - Thanks! I'm probably not going to want that FNS9 unless it's a screaming deal, I confess I'm in love with Sig's p320 compact.

crazy - appreciate the info, thanks a lot

Daniel - will do!

Dash - when are HTF shoots? I'm not ready for competition, but I'd probably attend just to be there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
It's no competition.

We all just get together outside of Portland and shoot and hang out.  Not sure when the next one is.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's no competition.

We all just get together outside of Portland and shoot and hang out.  Not sure when the next one is.
View Quote

No competition? I seem to remember you in a highly competitive trap shoot with my daughter...
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No competition? I seem to remember you in a highly competitive trap shoot with my daughter...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's no competition.

I was no competition.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to the board and grats on your wedding. I would add AIM surplus to your list of good vendors  with good prices.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was no competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's no competition.

I was no competition.

The other day she bragged that she shot a tighter group than me. I did point out that she was shooting from the bench while I was free standing but still...
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in Eugene!

Come out to Isaac Walton! Shoot some IDPA.

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The other day she bragged that she shot a tighter group than me. I did point out that she was shooting from the bench while I was free standing but still...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's no competition.

I was no competition.

Winning is winning. No excuses man. She's bested us both.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's no competition.

I was no competition.

I feel a sense of pride and shame at the same time over this.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#22]
WantsAnRRA - I just might take you up on that! Gotta become a member first though, right?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top