Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2016 6:34:37 PM EDT
Tell me about Bend. It's a long shot but it looks like I may be headed out that way.
I've been an East Coast guy all my life.
For we come out there I'd already have a well paying .gov job however I have no clue if my wife would be able to find anything out there. What industry and job opportunities are out there for .gov contractors/ HR professionals?

Anyone from Bend that I can contact directly?  
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
No clue about jobs but Bend is an awesome place. Tons of open space. Great weather. And it's beautiful. We love going over there. If there was a .gov office for me I'd be gone.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The more I research it appears that there isnt much in the way of work out there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Bend is fantastic if you bring your own money.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:29:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Jobs can be hard to come by unless you are in the medical field housing is getting crazy just fyi feel free to PM me will do my best to answer your questions.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jobs can be hard to come by unless you are in the medical field housing is getting crazy just fyi feel free to PM me will do my best to answer your questions.
-sigadvantage-
View Quote

Sig,
Ill send you some questions I have regarding the area shortly. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tell me about Bend. It's a long shot but it looks like I may be headed out that way.
For we come out there I'd already have a well paying .gov job however I have no clue if my wife would be able to find anything out there. What industry and job opportunities are out there for .gov contractors/ HR professionals?

View Quote

In.

Been here since 1972 (or so claim my parents), but spent 5 years in New England in the 80's.

Bend Sucks. Don't Move Here (latest bumper sticker)

PM me, too. I work with 100's of companies. What does can she do?

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately, this guy gets it.

"Poverty with a view"

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"Poverty with a view"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Poverty with a view"

I'd be living there right now if I could make even 2/3 what I make up here.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I moved to Bend in 2012. Jobs are tough to come by since it is such a desirable location. Many people take pay cuts just to move there. I work overseas so the job market wasn't a factor. I was lucky enough to get a house right before the market started to recover in 2012. Prior to the crash in 2008 it was the most inflated housing market in the US. I think it's the best city I have ever lived in. COSSA range is about 20 minutes outside of town and I haven't see any other civilian ranges that compare. I'll be back in August if you're there and want to shoot. There's also over 20 craft beer breweries in town.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In.

Been here since 1972 (or so claim my parents), but spent 5 years in New England in the 80's.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In.

As a kid, my mom's parents lived in Bend.  So from the late-70's to the mid-80's when they died we'd go over there several times a year and stay for a long weekend or a week or whatever.  My sister lives there these days.  It sure as shit looks nothing like it did when I was a kid.  Hell, the last time I was over there I drove out China Hat Rd.  When I was a kid, or hell, even after I graduated high school, that road was gravel starting at the highway and you could shoot ground squirrels out the window of your vehicle (not that I ever did as that would be unsafe and likely illegal) as soon as your tires started making dust.  Now, the fucker's paved for miles, there's a golf course, and houses along there.  

As it is, for me anyway, Bend is a great place to visit.  I'm not sure I'd want to live there too badly.  Most of the people I see look like self-important assholes and the women all look like they're ready to ask to speak to a manager.  Although I suppose that's because when I go over there the normal people are busy at work to make enough money to live in Prineville or LaPine, so I don't see them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As a kid, my mom's parents lived in Bend.  So from the late-70's to the mid-80's when they died we'd go over there several times a year and stay for a long weekend or a week or whatever.  My sister lives there these days.  It sure as shit looks nothing like it did when I was a kid.  Hell, the last time I was over there I drove out China Hat Rd.  When I was a kid, or hell, even after I graduated high school, that road was gravel starting at the highway and you could shoot ground squirrels out the window of your vehicle (not that I ever did as that would be unsafe and likely illegal) as soon as your tires started making dust.  Now, the fucker's paved for miles, there's a golf course, and houses along there.  

As it is, for me anyway, Bend is a great place to visit.  I'm not sure I'd want to live there too badly.  Most of the people I see look like self-important assholes and the women all look like they're ready to ask to speak to a manager.  Although I suppose that's because when I go over there the normal people are busy at work to make enough money to live in Prineville or LaPine, so I don't see them.
View Quote

My grandparents lived right by Prineville Reservoir in the '80s, and Bend was "going to town" for them I remember well how different the town was back then.

China Hat road is still good for shooting, we go to the pits by Horse Butte when we're down there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#12]
"We live where other people vacation" is another common bumper sticker.

Feel free to contact me directly. There's a lot of great stuff about living here.

I'd say the only 2 downsides are 1) job market can be tough for traditional work and 2) the winters are long and cold.

I work remotely and can live anywhere so Bend works great for that situation. But the job market can be tough (but not impossible) for people who need to find things locally.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry I haven't messaged you guys yet. Work has been increasingly busy. I hope to get my questions out to you guys soon. Again, i appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I love it here. Housing is going ape shit again (thanks to the Californians, at least this is what anyone from the PNW will blame everything on) and the climate isn't for everyone.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Deschutes Brewery is the only thing I know about bend. Damn good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top