Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2016 7:02:00 PM EDT
I bought a stripped lower last week from Curt's.  I am thinking maybe I want to build it into a pistol.  I have heard conflicting info as to whether this is legal or not.  Some people say it is perfectly legal to use to build a pistol. Others have told me it is illegal unless it was listed as a pistol during the background check. Which is it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be GTG as long as it's listed as "other" which it is because it's not a rifle and it's not a pistol. Did Curt's list what it was that they sold? Some dealers, (I can't imagine Curt's would) list them as a rifle.

FYI, if you put it together as a pistol first it can always be converted to a rifle and back to a pistol but NEVER the opposite. First a rifle, always a rifle.

That's why all of my builds get put together as a pistol and get a mugshot, even if it's going to be a rifle.

Gents, chime in if incorrect but that is the way that it was interpreted to me.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be GTG as long as it's listed as "other" which it is because it's not a rifle and it's not a pistol. Did Curt's list what it was that they sold? Some dealers, (I can't imagine Curt's would) list them as a rifle.

FYI, if you put it together as a pistol first it can always be converted to a rifle and back to a pistol but NEVER the opposite. First a rifle, always a rifle.

That's why all of my builds get put together as a pistol and get a mugshot, even if it's going to be a rifle.

View Quote

Thanks oregunner.  

This echoes what I have heard before.  When I purchased this lower, I had only intended to use it as a rifle so I did not pay attention to what Curt's called it. Then just a few nights ago it dawned on me, that I could build my first pistol with it instead of another rifle.  Assuming it wouldn't get me in some sort of legal trouble.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks oregunner.  

This echoes what I have heard before.  When I purchased this lower, I had only intended to use it as a rifle so I did not pay attention to what Curt's called it. Then just a few nights ago it dawned on me, that I could build my first pistol with it instead of another rifle.  Assuming it wouldn't get me in some sort of legal trouble.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks oregunner.  

If you bought a stripped reciever from Curts. It is a receiver, and you can build it out as a pistol. OR a rifle. They are listed on the 4473 as a receiver. And you by law, can build it as a pistol or a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Fridge is correct. If I'm not mistaken ANY lower, even a factory lower with a stock, can be made into a pistol provided it has NEVER had a 16"+ upper on it.

So, in theory, you could buy a complete rifle lower from PSA, take stock off (carbine extension is g2g on pistols) THEN add short upper and be good to go. Everything is just a receiver until it gets an upper.

2 of my lowers started as stripped than became pistols and have now been converted to rifles.

YMMV but I've had 8.5", 10.5", and 11.5" AR pistols and they're nothing special. Consider a pinned 14.5 or just SBR a 10"
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Agree with above. I only have a pistol tube to run while waiting on forms. SBR all day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Agree with above. I only have a pistol tube to run while waiting on forms. SBR all day.
View Quote

What's an AR pistol?

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm undecided at this point on whether I will build a pistol or a rifle.  I can't afford to build either at the moment and will have to wait until payday at the end of the month.  I have a few rifles already. I have never had an AR pistol before.  The pistol seems mildly intriguing for its ability to be carried concealed with a CHL.

As far as the SBR is concerned, I can't imagine I would ever go this route.  I do not understand any of the Class III laws.  I tried researching how to do it online a few years ago and it seems complex and confusing.  I don't know that I want to take a chance of accidentally filling out papers incorrectly or not adhering to the law correctly and somehow getting thrown in Federal prison for several years for an innocent mistake because I misunderstood the law.Doesn't seem worth the risk to me for a few inches of barrel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm undecided at this point on whether I will build a pistol or a rifle.  I can't afford to build either at the moment and will have to wait until payday at the end of the month.  I have a few rifles already. I have never had an AR pistol before.  The pistol seems mildly intriguing for its ability to be carried concealed with a CHL.

As far as the SBR is concerned, I can't imagine I would ever go this route.  I do not understand any of the Class III laws.  I tried researching how to do it online a few years ago and it seems complex and confusing.  I don't know that I want to take a chance of accidentally filling out papers incorrectly or not adhering to the law correctly and somehow getting thrown in Federal prison for several years for an innocent mistake because I misunderstood the law.Doesn't seem worth the risk to me for a few inches of barrel.
View Quote

SBR process is not as difficult as many would claim it is. A pistol is a decent option if you want to bypass the sbr process. If you do a pistol build, my reccomendation is avoid any "brace" marketed to avoid any misinterpretation. If you have more questions about either a pistol or the sbr process, swing by Curts, and ask for J.R. The ginger with the red beard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:14:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

SBR process is not as difficult as many would claim it is. A pistol is a decent option if you want to bypass the sbr process. If you do a pistol build, my reccomendation is avoid any "brace" marketed to avoid any misinterpretation. If you have more questions about either a pistol or the sbr process, swing by Curts, and ask for J.R. The ginger with the red beard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Thanks Fridge72!   Next time I'm down that way, I'll stop by.  I would like to know more about the SBR process.  Other than people online at this forum, I haven't known anybody that I could actually discuss it with in person.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hey Thanks Fridge72!   Next time I'm down that way, I'll stop by.  I would like to know more about the SBR process.  Other than people online at this forum, I haven't known anybody that I could actually discuss it with in person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top