Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2016 6:00:59 PM EDT
I'm thinking about putting a forward grip on my AR 300 blk out pistol. To do this without AOW classification the pistol needs to be 16" in length. How's this effect the cc permit benefits? For example carrying near a school?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK it's still a pistol and subject to those laws. Are you taking about cc'ing in your vehicle?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The way I read it for the purpose of a forward grip is - if the gun is 16" or longer a forward grip could be put on without having to fill out an any other weapons form. If it is under 16" an ATF any other weapons form had to be filled out.

If over the 16", the gun could no longer be considered a pistol. Depending on each states laws.

I don't plan to CC the thing, but it would be nice to know where I stand when the thing is in my car or any other situation that it may make a difference.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
unless the laws have changed the oregon concealed WEAPONS permit is not limited to handguns.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
unless the laws have changed the oregon concealed WEAPONS permit is not limited to handguns.
View Quote

My 'license' clearly says "Concealed Handgun License" at the top.

I would rather have a Concealed Weapons permit so I can/could carry a variety of weapons.  How do I get one of those?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would rather have a Concealed Weapons permit so I can/could carry a variety of weapons.  How do I get one of those?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No such thing in Oregon but there is no prohibition on carrying a rifle concealed in your vehicle. From ORS 166.250
a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle;

Note that a firearm cannot be carried concealed upon your person but it is limited to handguns in your vehicle. As always, I'm not a lawyer but I do recommend Kevin Starrett's book Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The way I read it for the purpose of a forward grip is - if the gun is 16" or longer a forward grip could be put on without having to fill out an any other weapons form. If it is under 16" an ATF any other weapons form had to be filled out.

If over the 16", the gun could no longer be considered a pistol. Depending on each states laws.

I don't plan to CC the thing, but it would be nice to know where I stand when the thing is in my car or any other situation that it may make a difference.
View Quote

26" oal, not 16".
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Ooops... yes... thanks you
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The way Oregon's law is written, a "Concealed Handgun License" exempts you from Unlawful Possession of a Firearm (ORS166.250).  The keyword is FIREARM:  this includes handguns AND rifles.  Ignore the title of Concealed HANDGUN License; it's just written into the law that way.

The post about 16" barrel vs. 26" OAL is correct; AOW status (Federal) is defined by OAL, not barrel length.

So according to state law, you can carry any firearm (not just handguns) in any non-exempt location (Post Office, Courthouse, Federal facility, etc.).  This includes on-body carry as well as vehicle carry.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you very much everythingisawesom!
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you very much everythingisawesom!
View Quote

Anytime!
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you also know that in the ATF opinion letter that says it is OK to put a vfg on a pistol if the oal is over 26" it also states that if you conceal it upon your person it will become a class 3 aow?
Look up Franklin armory, or franklin arsenal or whatever it is and read the letter.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]
No... the rules are blurry.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I want to get the KAK brace off this thing because it can be easily confused with shouldering even if being held to the cheek.

Might just be that SBR is the answer. Decisions...
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I want to get the KAK brace off this thing because it can be easily confused with shouldering even if being held to the cheek.

View Quote

Why is sbr the answer? Those are even more controlled. You can't even leave it where a relative has a key or access to the room it is locked in. Seriously, are you wanting to conceal it on your person? Do you have some special hidden compartment that only a certain size weapon will fit in? A regular 16" carbine can be carried concealed in your vehicle loaded in Oregon without a license (as far as I know).
If you have a chl, you can carry an AR pistol in your car, no need to make it into a "firearm". They work fine just cheek welded (no brace) and no vfg.
Or you can carry a cheap m4 clone, a "truck gun" as it is known.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why is sbr the answer? Those are even more controlled. You can't even leave it where a relative has a key or access to the room it is locked in. Seriously, are you wanting to conceal it on your person? Do you have some special hidden compartment that only a certain size weapon will fit in? A regular 16" carbine can be carried concealed in your vehicle loaded in Oregon without a license (as far as I know).

If you have a chl, you can carry an AR pistol in your car, no need to make it into a "firearm". They work fine just cheek welded (no brace) and no vfg.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is perhaps the answer for me because despite the added rules of class 3, the rules are clear. Cut and dry.

It's not about the firearm being controlled, it's about me having confidence in my legal ability to carry X firearm in Y situation.

It's about being able to enjoy the AR with my kid. I like to video, she likes to video, us shooting. That video goes to school so she can show her teacher and friends. A 16 YO girl trying to cheek weld an AR without letting the brace bump her shoulder is work in process. May never happen.

It's about going to the range and not having to worry about the RO thinking the brace bumped my shoulder and I'm therefor shooting an SBR on the pistol range or, shooting a pistol as an SBR with  no stamp.

Hell it's about the fact that everyone knows darn well 95% of the people with a Sig brace or Kak like 'brace' are shouldering it. Something like that may get the wrong attention at the range just because of the obvious.

I've yet to take my AR to the range for the sole reason of not knowing how they'll react.

It's about clarity.

The entire point of the question was to get information so I could consider different approaches to ditching the brace. One of those being the FVG.

And, to muddy it up even more.... what exactly constitutes a FVG? Does it have to be vertical, or is any device used to aid the front hand in the similar manner as a FVG?

Hopefully that shines some more light on the purpose of the question as it relates to me and my situation(s).
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Packing an SBR or a short barrel AR with a brace would be difficult to explain to a jury if you ever had to use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top