Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 11:10:27 PM EDT
I have a job offer incoming that would involve a move from Oklahoma. I would be doing business in Portland "and the surrounding area". Later this week I'll have clarification on the exact geographic area.

I'm really looking for some input on what things are like in the area (I know it's more liberal than OK), what could be some good places to look at living, maybe places to avoid, local cultures, schools (I have two girls, 5 & 2), things to do, etc. Basically anything and everything you could think of that could be of use to someone in my situation.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a few threads explaining some of that. But some specifics on budget, home size, and priorities would help us get you squared away easier.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't see any other threads on the topic, but maybe I need to run a search outside of Arfcom to help find them.

I'd really like to live somewhere that isn't big city, but I'll likely need to be within a 30-45 minute drive from Portland. The smaller the city/town the better, but I'm fairly flexible here. A relatively conservative area would be nice, if possible.

Good, safe schools for my girls are a must.

Home would likely be 3 bed/2 bath-ish, 1,500 sq ft+. Budget would likely start around $250k, though that could vary depending on what I'm being offered.

I'm a runner, and having guys access to trails/roads for this is a plus.

I'll reference the "places to shoot" thread when the time comes.

I know I'm forgetting things, but hopefully this will be a good foundation.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Suburbs. NW Portland. 97229, 97006. Excellent schools. Specific neighborhoods (Oak Hills, Terra Linda, Rock Creek) Solid homes that may need some updating, priced 350k-550k. Going to be hard to find something in your price range here tho. The market is always crazy here. Something along HWY 26 would be my preferred area. Maybe Banks, OR, smaller town feel, might find something in your price range.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Suburbs. NW Portland. 97229, 97006. Excellent schools. Specific neighborhoods (Oak Hills, Terra Linda, Rock Creek) Solid homes that may need some updating, priced 350k-550k. Going to be hard to find something in your price range here tho. The market is always crazy here. Something along HWY 26 would be my preferred area. Maybe Banks, OR, smaller town feel, might find something in your price range.
View Quote

Agreed. West on 26 would be your best bet. Housing has gone absolutely crazy though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Scappoose. 30 minutes to down town. Small townish - affordable - kinda... as conservative as you'll find near Portland.

Or go across the river and look at Vancouver, Camas, Washougal.  -  Camas has top notch schools.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The house I rented in Newberg until last year was 3 bed, 2 bath, about 1500 SF.  Nice neighborhood of 70's and 80's -built starter homes.  Owner sold it after I left, asked about $275K as I recall, and got close to that.  30 minutes to Portland, depending on traffic... longer during peak rush.  Actually, a bunch of people I work with commute down here FROM Portland.  Yamhill Co is still fairly conservative, though slowly becoming less so... transplants, wine industry, all the stuff that follows that, etc.  But it beats the shit out of Portland and isn't in Metro, so...  Don't know much about schools, no kids, don't hear too many complaints about Newberg though.

Good luck in your search.  Keep in mind it started raining this year in about November and didn't really stop until March-ish.  All the chicken little transplants started squawking about climate change and all that but really, it was a fairly normal winter.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree.

Also do not live in multinoma county. The portland craziness extends to added taxes for art and
New city only income tax on the rich to help the homeless. Also must plant trees after a $25000 home remodel.

Remember oregon has really bad schools period. 3rd worst in the nation. The reason 97229
Schools are good is because everyone is asian not that the schools are good.

Yor gun ranges are limited so take that into account if you shoot alot.

Traffic is really bad because city wants less cars and more bikes. The mayor of portlandwas asked
about the homeless crazies and drugies living in front of a school. He said that they are
not the problem. Cars and guns kill more kids and need to be regulated more. LOL
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Agree.

Also do not live in multinoma county. The portland craziness extends to added taxes for art and
New city only income tax on the rich to help the homeless. Also must plant trees after a $25000 home remodel.

Remember oregon has really bad schools period. 3rd worst in the nation. The reason 97229
Schools are good is because everyone is asian not that the schools are good.   See below.

Yor gun ranges are limited so take that into account if you shoot alot. Tri County is a nice one if its close to where you end up.

Traffic is really bad because city wants less cars and more bikes. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE. RESEARCH YOUR COMMUTE!! The mayor of Portland was asked
about the homeless crazies and drugies living in front of a school. He said that they are
not the problem. Cars and guns kill more kids and need to be regulated more. LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

Schools are good is because everyone is asian not that the schools are good.   See below.

Yor gun ranges are limited so take that into account if you shoot alot. Tri County is a nice one if its close to where you end up.

Traffic is really bad because city wants less cars and more bikes. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE. RESEARCH YOUR COMMUTE!! The mayor of Portland was asked

Your research sounded faulty because I grew up here and wanna be learned and stuff. Then I looked it up.

Ouch. I don't have kids so Ive never really thought about it. I do know that the area we live has "relatively high" ranking schools and the property is much more desirable to parents than other parts of PDX.

Oregon

C- (70.2)

Chance for Success: C (75.2)

Early foundations: B- (82.1)
School years: C- (71.8)
Adult outcomes: C (72.7)

K-12 Achievement: D (66.4)

Change: D (63.5)
Equity: C+ (79.0)

School Finance: D+ (69.1)

Equity: B+ (87.7)
Spending: F (50.5)
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
You need to add 100k to your home budget to get anything in Clackamas county, just South of Portland proper on the East side of the river, More like 2-300k for something like that size for any decent area of Portland proper. The market is nuts right now and shows no sign of easing off. Renting is even harder.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the input so far, guys! I've looked more into housing around the area and know I'll definitely need to add at least $100k to my starting budget for a house.

By this afternoon I should have a lot more info regarding the job and will have a better idea of exactly where and for what I should be looking.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top