Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 11:39:55 PM EDT
Suck it Portland! After 28 years, I'm moving back home. Things are moving faster than we expected, like crazy fast. Haven't even listed our house and we have our first showing of our house on the 15th. Wife's parents are snowbirds in AZ and they were talking with friends who know somebody who's looking for a place in our neighborhood. Could save a ton on realtor fees if it works out.

We'll be down there looking at property/homes next weekend. Might have to rent for a while until we can find just what we're looking for.

Looking forward to being back with family, good weather and a lot less traffic.

TL:DR Suck it Portland!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for you. I loved growing up down there. What area you looking at there?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#2]
We are looking from Roseburg to Canyonville. Hoping to find some land but also need to have high speed internet for my work, which will severely limit our options.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Having just moved from Roseburg to Grants Pass I would stay away from Roseburg if possible.  The entire county is so depressed economically, jobs are pretty much non-existent unless you know someone who can hook you up with something.  With the lumber industry on the decline Douglas County is really feeling it.  Hunting has also sucked as of late there, all the major companies gating off BLM land causing access blockages essentially everywhere.  So many people packed into public land unless you are willing to pack in a few miles or have access to private land hunting is extremely difficult.

Don't get me wrong the town is in a nice spot, I grew up there also, and it is not the same town as it was even 10 years ago.  The Umpqua Valley is one of my favorite places on the planet but I am not sure I would ever move back until I was ready to retire.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like OP already has work so I see no reason to stay out of the Umpqua valley. Grants Pass is a nice area but Id choose Roseburg over GP. GP politics and government have gotten kind of funky.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I work for a company in Norcross, GA (from home when not traveling). Wife just got a great, career-capper job with a company there in Roseburg.

My family has been in Douglas County since the late 1800's. It's home and we don't have to worry about work.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome back Ormilitia! I moved my family back here to douglas county about 11 years ago because because I grew tired of the pdx crap. Except for hard times with jobs I'm haven't regretted it a bit. This is where I'm grew up and I couldn't imagine a more beautiful area to live in. The The wife and I I'm are currently hunting for am piece of property as well....good places am sure scarce right now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The interested family came by two times to see the house. They brought parents and friends the second time. No realtors involved so the negotiations were quick. What do you want - ok we'll take it Dropping the sales contract off at the title company in the morning.

Still trying to figure out where to live down South.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top