Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2016 1:10:11 AM EDT
Coming down the line.  Haven't posted much in the way of details, but they are pretty much saying the sky is falling and to buy the guns you want now because come feb we might not be able to.  Waiting to see what the idiots in Salem are trying to pull, but my guess is, is that they really want to abuse the system and ram some sort of serious evil through.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't find anything on their web site.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I read about this bill elsewhere and I know it wasn't from OFF.

OFF lost me as a supporter when they publicly ridiculed Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward on their Facebook page for doing his job. They've been posting off the wall stuff on Facebook for a couple years now and for me that was icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Mental-Health2.pdf

It is legislation regarding mental health issues as related to firearms.  It temporarily puts a 30-day hold on your ability to pass a background check to purchase a firearm, when reported that you are having a "mental health crisis" by an immediate family member, healthcare provider, or school official you've had direct contact with.  It doesn't define burden of proof on the accuser and the appeal process is pretty poor from the accused's standpoint.

OFF put on the theatrics about blanket reports, however healthcare provider definitions are not explicit in saying they should be the healthcare providers appropriate to provide care for a reported individual.  That is concerning, since we don't know what a report entails, and what questions would be asked when reporting to validate the claim.  And then, what about HIPAA.  I do side on the professional nature of healthcare providers to do the right thing however its a possibility to be abused.  The requirement for direct contact should also apply to the health care providers as it does with school officials.

I feel like if I was a gun-fearing citizen, I should be concerned about someone "experiencing a mental health crisis" continuing to have firearms in their possession, than them going to a gun store, having the money to purchase a firearm, and completing a 4473 and background check.  Because they are going to do something right now, right?  The use case of this type of reporting seems like the non-emergency version of calling the police to report that someone you talked to said they are going to go and shoot someone.  Thus. the emergency clause doesn't seem applicable, as with about every time its used.

It's so hard anymore to tell if there are hidden motives in these pieces of legislation, or if the people submitting them are actually just not informed and are trying to do "something".
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You forgot to mention: There is no notification to subject by OSP when someone has called in a claim. There is also no recourse for falsely filed claims. There are also no procedures defined to challenge a claim.

Basically, if a claim is made against you, you are guilty. There is no vetting of the claim. There is no recourse for you. In other words, Rights, you have none.

This one will be abused by angry ex's, anti gun family members and others with NO RECOURSE.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You forgot to mention: There is no notification to subject by OSP when someone has called in a claim. There is also no recourse for falsely filed claims. There are also no procedures defined to challenge a claim.

Basically, if a claim is made against you, you are guilty. There is no vetting of the claim. There is no recourse for you. In other words, Rights, you have none.

This one will be abused by angry ex's, anti gun family members and others with NO RECOURSE.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
What if someone reported (anonymously) those involved in creating this bullshit?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What if someone reported (anonymously) those involved in creating this bullshit?
View Quote

As far as I'm concerned, anybody writing or voting for these laws are completely off their rocker and should be considered mentally ill.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read about this bill elsewhere and I know it wasn't from OFF.

OFF lost me as a supporter when they publicly ridiculed Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward on their Facebook page for doing his job. They've been posting off the wall stuff on Facebook for a couple years now and for me that was icing on the cake.
View Quote

If he were doing his Job, NONE of this would have happened. The fact of the matter is, he's a lazy Sheriff who prefers to take Federal money rather than stand up for the rights of Harney County.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Those with the means and will are well versed what actions to take when tyranny abounds.  If they want to shove us, we will stand our ground give the ancient smile of defiance, the cradle of freedom.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW.

I just received an email from Senator Kruse that said

"One additional update, it appears the gun bill, Senate Bill 1551, will not be taken up this Session"

Entire email below.

FEBRUARY 2nd, 2016

NOW IT BEGINS

The “Short Session” of the Legislature began yesterday, and I thought I would start out with a little history.  First, there are a lot of new people who will be receiving my newsletter so I thought I would explain it.  I receive a great number of emails from people on a wide variety of subjects.  I truly appreciate receiving them and I read them all.  Several years ago I had a thought that the people who were sharing their thoughts with me might like to hear my opinions on the various subjects, and I decided to do weekly newsletters during legislative sessions.  I include anyone who sends me an email on the list.

Now for the Short Session itself and its history.  Several years ago there was a general feeling the Legislature should meet every year and for limited time frames.  This came about after two Sessions which lasted until the middle or end of August.  The original thought was to have the odd year Session last 160 days and the even year Session 60 days.  The thought was the long Session would be for the big policy issues and the short Session for more technical adjustments.  The problem with that plan was it pushed the short Session into the primary election cycle.  The best solution would have been to move the primary further out, which would have had other benefits because having 6 months between the primary and general elections is way too much of a time gap.  Unfortunately the decision was made to limit the Short Session to 35 days.  There was also a general agreement that no big issues would be dealt with in such a short time frame.  That is actually how it worked two years ago.

For the 2016 Session that agreement is being totally ignored.  There are several major issues, which I will get into in subsequent newsletters, that are being brought forward this Session that we have no business dealing with in this time frame.  Everything from cap and trade to minimum wage.  I think the reason this is happening is because the Democrats have a super majority in the Senate, are one short of that number in the House and have a willing Governor.  In reality there is not much that can be done to stop them from passing whatever they want.

What makes this even worse is that the time frame limits the public’s access to the system.  In the normal course of legislative events there is a 48 hour notice requirement for hearing on bills.  During the long Session that ends when the Senate president declares that we are “Sine Die Eminent.”  At that point hearings are held with only a one hour notice.  During the long Session that is usually about two weeks from the end.  This year it will be the 15th day of the Session.  In addition all bills have to be out of the committee of origin by the 11th day, which means there will be very limited opportunities for input.  Another thing that will happen in this scenario is that a lot of policy issues will be decided in the Ways and Means Committees, which is also a violation of the rules.

No matter which side of any issues you are on, you should be very upset that this is happening.  To not allow adequate time and opportunity for public input on major issues is a violation of everything we are supposed to stand for.  I have been serving in the minority for a long time, but I have never seen it this bad.  I have disagreed with a lot of what has happened over the years, but at least most of it was done it the light of day.  I hope you are as upset at this blatant violation on not just the rules but the public trust we are about to see happen this month.

Sincerely,

Senator Jeff Kruse

One additional update, it appears the gun bill, Senate Bill 1551, will not be taken up this Session.

If you are interested in reading my past newsletters please click on my webpage link below:

http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/kruse

NRA still shows that it is supposed for a hearing tomorrow morning.....

NRA SB 1551
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FWIW.

I just received an email from Senator Kruse that said

"One additional update, it appears the gun bill, Senate Bill 1551, will not be taken up this Session"

Entire email below.

FEBRUARY 2nd, 2016

NOW IT BEGINS

The “Short Session” of the Legislature began yesterday, and I thought I would start out with a little history.  First, there are a lot of new people who will be receiving my newsletter so I thought I would explain it.  I receive a great number of emails from people on a wide variety of subjects.  I truly appreciate receiving them and I read them all.  Several years ago I had a thought that the people who were sharing their thoughts with me might like to hear my opinions on the various subjects, and I decided to do weekly newsletters during legislative sessions.  I include anyone who sends me an email on the list.

Now for the Short Session itself and its history.  Several years ago there was a general feeling the Legislature should meet every year and for limited time frames.  This came about after two Sessions which lasted until the middle or end of August.  The original thought was to have the odd year Session last 160 days and the even year Session 60 days.  The thought was the long Session would be for the big policy issues and the short Session for more technical adjustments.  The problem with that plan was it pushed the short Session into the primary election cycle.  The best solution would have been to move the primary further out, which would have had other benefits because having 6 months between the primary and general elections is way too much of a time gap.  Unfortunately the decision was made to limit the Short Session to 35 days.  There was also a general agreement that no big issues would be dealt with in such a short time frame.  That is actually how it worked two years ago.

For the 2016 Session that agreement is being totally ignored.  There are several major issues, which I will get into in subsequent newsletters, that are being brought forward this Session that we have no business dealing with in this time frame.  Everything from cap and trade to minimum wage.  I think the reason this is happening is because the Democrats have a super majority in the Senate, are one short of that number in the House and have a willing Governor.  In reality there is not much that can be done to stop them from passing whatever they want.

What makes this even worse is that the time frame limits the public’s access to the system.  In the normal course of legislative events there is a 48 hour notice requirement for hearing on bills.  During the long Session that ends when the Senate president declares that we are “Sine Die Eminent.”  At that point hearings are held with only a one hour notice.  During the long Session that is usually about two weeks from the end.  This year it will be the 15th day of the Session.  In addition all bills have to be out of the committee of origin by the 11th day, which means there will be very limited opportunities for input.  Another thing that will happen in this scenario is that a lot of policy issues will be decided in the Ways and Means Committees, which is also a violation of the rules.

No matter which side of any issues you are on, you should be very upset that this is happening.  To not allow adequate time and opportunity for public input on major issues is a violation of everything we are supposed to stand for.  I have been serving in the minority for a long time, but I have never seen it this bad.  I have disagreed with a lot of what has happened over the years, but at least most of it was done it the light of day.  I hope you are as upset at this blatant violation on not just the rules but the public trust we are about to see happen this month.

Sincerely,

Senator Jeff Kruse

One additional update, it appears the gun bill, Senate Bill 1551, will not be taken up this Session.

If you are interested in reading my past newsletters please click on my webpage link below:

http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/kruse

NRA still shows that it is supposed for a hearing tomorrow morning.....

NRA SB 1551
View Quote

Just got an email from Representative Sal Esquivel that said the same thing.

"Last night we learned that Senator Prozanski pulled his SB 1551 "soviet style" gun bill. He will be back again in 2017 I am sure - but for now it is dead."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top