Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2016 8:24:27 PM EDT
What would be a good trip? Coast, mountains, or both? She loves the ocean but we also like hiking trails in the Smokies too. This would be in late August/early September. And just out of curiosity, is there any dangerous wildlife to be mindful of?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Be careful. 3 years ago, I was a happy and content Montana resident with no intention of ever leaving.

Took my wife to Newport for Christmas that year.

Long story short, we live here now.

Seriously, there is just about anything that you could want in Oregon. I've spent most of my time on the Coast, where I live.

Newport and points North along the Coast have plenty to offer.

mhpoole's suggestions are good ones, too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be careful. 3 years ago, I was a happy and content Montana resident with no intention of ever leaving.

Took my wife to Newport for Christmas that year.

Long story short, we live here now.

Seriously, there is just about anything that you could want in Oregon. I've spent most of my time on the Coast, where I live.

Newport and points North along the Coast have plenty to offer.

mhpoole's suggestions are good ones, too.
View Quote

The Smokey Mountains in TN have caught our attention, so I'm guessing this will too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What would be a good trip? Coast, mountains, or both? She loves the ocean but we also like hiking trails in the Smokies too. This would be in late August/early September. And just out of curiosity, is there any dangerous wildlife to be mindful of?
View Quote
Nothing dangerous here. There are rattle snakes in Central and Eastern Oregon but that's it. Nothing on the coastal areas. Biggest thing here is some rain, drizzle days, no humidity tho . August Sept are almost always dry as a bone.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad to hear snakes are the worst of it. Oddly enough the entire time I  was stationed in NC and all the trips to TN, I've only seen one snake. For some reason I figured there would be bears and mountain lions out and about.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
crater lake is awesome.  Bend is pretty cool too, lots of breweries, food and Nosler to be had.  Mt Hood in the summer is OK, but if I were you I would go do other stuff.  The Coast is neat, but not my thing.  Portland can be cool if you like idiot watching.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 3:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on how long you are planning to make the trip.  That time of year,  Newport would be very fun though very crowded.  Lots of great scenery around there,  awesome hiking trails and some excellent coastal views.  

My mother is jealous that I got to see Crater Lake.  Amazing view for sure and I highly recommend spending a day there.  I went a bit late in the year (late October), but it was worth watching the sunrise over the mountains while sitting on a cliff over the lake.  A great moment of reflection and enjoyment was had.  

I'll certainly come back out to visit Oregon in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
crater lake is awesome.  Bend is pretty cool too, lots of breweries, food and Nosler to be had.  Mt Hood in the summer is OK, but if I were you I would go do other stuff.  The Coast is neat, but not my thing.  Portland can be cool if you like idiot watching.
View Quote

LMFAO Very true.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]
What part of the coast are you thinking?  Oregon's got a substantial coastline and it's different in Gold Beach than it is in Neskowin, which is different than it is in Lincoln City, which different than it is in Tillamook, which is different than it is in Seaside.  

How many days are you out here?  If you've got the time, you can see the coast, you can see temperate rain forests, you can see mountains, you can see small towns, you can see (liberal infested) big cities, you can see high desert, you can see national parks, you can see geologic formations that will take your breath away, you can see national historic monuments, etc, etc.  There's no shortage of stuff to do or see here.  I've lived here my whole life and in those 4+ decades I've not stayed at home.  But there's still tons of shit I keep thinking "I've got to get around to seeing that" or "I should go there and do that."  

One note, though I'd wager it's probably not warranted, the Oregon coast isn't what a lot of people picture when you say, "let's go to the beach."  The ocean is not blue, nor is it really the temperature a lot of out of towners find conducive to swimming.  Also, a lot of the coast has some pretty treacherous currents, rip tides, and undertows.  What the Oregon coast does offer, however, is its own rugged beauty you will find in few other places.

Give us the amount of time you're planning on being here and what areas you're thinking of, and I guarantee you that this board can come up with more stuff to do than you can fit in your trip schedule.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]
This should give you a sample of different areas around the state.  You should find an area that interests you.

http://watch.opb.org/show/oregon-field-guide/episodes/
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This should give you a sample of different areas around the state.  You should find an area that interests you.

http://watch.opb.org/show/oregon-field-guide/episodes/
View Quote

Nice! Very useful!

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Like 7N1x30 said, choose wisely!

My wife and I picked Oregon for a belated honeymoon on 2005. After returning home, we put the house on the market, sold most of our possessions, loaded the rest into the truck and immediately drove back. We have been here ever since.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I am maybe a bit late to this party. However...

Some photos of the coast: https://pjpeake.smugmug.com/Oregon-Coast/
and some more within 60 miles or so of my home: https://pjpeake.smugmug.com/Newberg/i-cPzPvWS

You probably do want at least a day trip to the Columbia Gorge. Some good hiking trails there.
Maybe a trip to Mt. Hood and Timberline Lodge. Crater Lake is well worth a visit, but only mid-summer, its pretty much snowed in the rest of the year.
A trip up into WA to visit Mt St. Helens to see the devastation caused when it blew up is worthwhile, although contrary to the "experts" who
said it would take a century or more to recover, is recovering nicely. So maybe do it now, before it all disappears under new forest growth.

If you have the time, you might want to drive down (up) the coast on 101 (that's the same 101 that runs through San Francisco BTW).

There actually are some larger beasties that you want to watch for - bears are relatively common, as are coyotes and raccoons.
All can be a bit vicious, but all pretty much leave you alone if you leave them alone.

Portland/Eugene etc are basically cess-pits. Maybe visit once just to say you have.

What I don't think anyone covered is carrying a firearm.
OR doesn't recognize ANY other concealed permits but its own. You also can't get one unless you are a resident of OR or an adjacent state (shared border).
Open carry is legal, except in the cess-pits.

Its a really nice state, which would be even nicer after a 200' tsunami running up the Columbia river.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the coast,was born in gold beach have a couple sisters there that I visit yearly .....But eastern Oregon is where its at.I hear the Cowboy Dinner Tree is the place to go.
Its hard for me to decide I'm 55 so Ive seen it all,my best memory's are watching the stars come over the mountain peaks over crane prairie lake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top