Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2015 12:17:44 AM EDT
Found out this week that I was passed over for a promotion that I had been working towards for 12 years.

My supervisor is retiring at the end of the year, I had been taking over for him while on vacations and absences for years. When it was posted, I applied for it, during the interviews it sounded like I was a shoe in. Turns out that upper management had other ideas. I ended up being "to valuable" to lose in my current position. The job went to someone from another department that is much less qualified than me, with no experience in the department that he will be running. What it comes down to is they can still get work out of me, while giving me more responsibility, with no pay or title...

So, if anyone know of any jobs in the Salem to Tigard area, please let me know.

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#1]
That's how corporations do things now. Their look at it..."If you don't like it, you can leave". There seems to be no reward for being good at anything, other than going home more tired and pissed off. All while laying off of the slugs or even promoting them. If you stay, do just enough to not get fired, they created the monster.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you thought about talking to them and tell them how it is?  If you are too valuable to lose in your current position, then they should be compensating you for your valuableness.  If not, and if you can get a line on a job elsewhere, you can really have some fun with it.  IF they are taking advantage of your situation there, get a detailed job description for your current position and when they expect you to do something outside of what is in writing you can tell them what's up and if they want you to perform those tasks or duties, they will need to promote you to a position that covers them along with appropriate compensation.  

But I wish I knew of any places that are hiring for welding stuff like that.  Kind of outside of my realm of expertise.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's how corporations do things now. Their look at it..."If you don't like it, you can leave". There seems to be no reward for being good at anything, other than going home more tired and pissed off. All while laying off of the slugs or even promoting them. If you stay, do just enough to not get fired, they created the monster.
View Quote

I hate to get to that point, and my manager pretty well told me that he knows I will continue to do all of the extra work that I had become accustomed to. I am a very driven person at work and have always gone above and beyond to do what was needed. Sadly, I let it get to this point by being willing to do anything asked of me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 5:05:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I ended up being "to valuable" to lose in my current position..
View Quote

Dude that sucks i know that feeling that happened to me too 28 years ago it worked out later i got the job I wanted there 8 years later.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't compromise your work ethic. You have to live with yourself and you need to smile when you look in the mirror.

I have delt with a couple major job setbacks. Both times I did my best work and surprise, the PC choice failed miserably. On one occasion I was asked to pick up the work. I had already made the choice to exit the company so I declined. That led to a major investigation and a couple executives being "reassigned" to menial positions. Another company heard what was happening and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Live with integrity and you will never have to look back and wonder...
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Sucks to be held back because you are "too valuable" in your current position.

That is a very bad decision on their part.

I hate to lose any of my key employees but have written glowing recommendations even though it meant losing them. I didn't want to be "that guy" that held anyone back.

It's bad karma.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps all is not that bad. I am in the same position. What I do now for the company makes them a lot of money and they are hesitant to move me. They know it would be hard to replace me. But am paid well. Maybe you are thought of as the same. They may well want to promote you but would lose a valuable asset at your current position?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, so they can continue to take advantage of you while teasing-dangling that carrot of advancement that will never come because if a guy is silly enough to do above average work and too much of it they know they have a Sucker. If a guy is not in the special club, he's not going to 'prove' his way into a promotion.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I think that I recall from previous posts that you work at Allied Systems. I'm pretty sure that ex-Allied employees all end up at GK Machine...
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, so they can continue to take advantage of you while teasing-dangling that carrot of advancement that will never come because if a guy is silly enough to do above average work and too much of it they know they have a Sucker. If a guy is not in the special club, he's not going to 'prove' his way into a promotion.
View Quote

Sorry friend, but that's not true. Your statement comes across as someone that is a disgruntled union worker. If a person is working at a company that treats you like that, then shame on you for staying there. Most businesses know that good help is hard to find and a go-getter is highly sought after. If you worked for me and had that attitude then you would of course go nowhere in the company. People that work for me earn what they produce. Do the minimum and you get the minimum. Outstanding workers do well and are promoted quickly because they can be a positive influence on the others. And they more than earn their keep. It is a foolish business owner that's treats good help like a dog. I myself don't care for unions because they foster mediocrely. Collective bargaining is for suckers and the lazy. There is no incentive to do great if you are getting paid the same as the lazy prick who calls in sick weekly. There is no special club where I work and folks WILL prove their way into higher pay and promotions. Just as it should be.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Found out this week that I was passed over for a promotion that I had been working towards for 12 years.

My supervisor is retiring at the end of the year, I had been taking over for him while on vacations and absences for years. When it was posted, I applied for it, during the interviews it sounded like I was a shoe in. Turns out that upper management had other ideas. I ended up being "to valuable" to lose in my current position. The job went to someone from another department that is much less qualified than me, with no experience in the department that he will be running. What it comes down to is they can still get work out of me, while giving me more responsibility, with no pay or title...

View Quote

Well, that sucks and is very short-sighted of any company to pull that. Biggest issue with that I've seen over the years is putting someone not qualified in as manager does not end up well if they try to run the show w/o knowing what's going on. I never had a problem changing companies if I could pick up more experience in a particular area, or more money - or both - and have done that throughout my career when it was beneficial.

Do you happen to know anything about agronomy and vegetable seed production? I've worked for years for a company in the Independence area  - so not far west of Salem. I turned 65 this year and am not planning to retire as such, but am going to work for another company part-time so I can cut back some on hours.

My boss has asked me to stay on another year but I don't think I will. Too many hours for the old fart, and my wife wants to move back to our place in central Orygun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, that sucks and is very short-sighted of any company to pull that. Biggest issue with that I've seen over the years is putting someone not qualified in as manager does not end up well if they try to run the show w/o knowing what's going on. I never had a problem changing companies if I could pick up more experience in a particular area, or more money - or both - and have done that throughout my career when it was beneficial.

Do you happen to know anything about agronomy and vegetable seed production? I've worked for years for a company in the Independence area  - so not far west of Salem. I turned 65 this year and am not planning to retire as such, but am going to work for another company part-time so I can cut back some on hours.

My boss has asked me to stay on another year but I don't think I will. Too many hours for the old fart, and my wife wants to move back to our place in central Orygun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I have been trying to find and apply to at least one job a day. I have found three that I have liked so far enough to apply.

I have been welding/fabricating for, gosh, 18 years now. Started when I was 16. The only knowledge I have in agriculture would be the 4 years of FFA when I was in high school.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry friend, but that's not true. Your statement comes across as someone that is a disgruntled union worker. If a person is working at a company that treats you like that, then shame on you for staying there. Most businesses know that good help is hard to find and a go-getter is highly sought after. If you worked for me and had that attitude then you would of course go nowhere in the company. People that work for me earn what they produce. Do the minimum and you get the minimum. Outstanding workers do well and are promoted quickly because they can be a positive influence on the others. And they more than earn their keep. It is a foolish business owner that's treats good help like a dog. I myself don't care for unions because they foster mediocrely. Collective bargaining is for suckers and the lazy. There is no incentive to do great if you are getting paid the same as the lazy prick who calls in sick weekly. There is no special club where I work and folks WILL prove their way into higher pay and promotions. Just as it should be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part in red is how I feel at this point. How in the heck did I let it go this far?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Part in red is how I feel at this point. How in the heck did I let it go this far?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I think it comes with having a good work ethic and loyalty to an employer. I've always put in a lot more time than my counterparts because I couldn't stand to see a job not finished. It never used to "pay" with many of the companies I worked for - at least in the short term. Where I've been these last many years it has paid off financially. I guess I don't have any easy answers for you. I have made a lot of connections over the years that have been beneficial, and managed to keep my nose clean in an industry where not many have and that has been beneficial too. I have quit jobs that I could see were going nowhere and that's sometimes a difficult call to make. One thing you might consider is fabrication on your own - I see some being quite successful in that. and you might IM me if you would like a contact in the Mt Angel area. I don't know that he is hiring, but he may be a good person to network with.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many of us at work have been saying the same thing over the last year or so.  After we got a new CEO,  optimism dropped.  The machinists with skill are pondering other options.  They are always hanging their best employees to do more work under the guise of a raise... Come raise time,  they trash talk them into a three week liquor bender.  
This past year,  we were given "goals" by our supervisor to point us to a promotion.  A few months into it,  I get forced into graveyard shift where my goal outline is 100% impossible and changed his outline for me to something impossible for me to accomplish starting mid year, let alone on the shift he stuffed me into, while telling everybody that I volunteered to do it.

I might not get a last laugh,  but when I bought a house out of state and everybody except the management seems to know about it,  people are far more willing to try some change of scenery.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, start shopping yourself.

I was in a role for 3 years at my company and did a near 30 point turn around on a product line (-20% YoY to +9% growth YoY). Someone was hired back into the company into a Director role that was created for him instead of even posting the job. Now, I liked the guy and had worked with him previously, but it didn't sit well with me. I also had been subject to 3 or 4 years of 1%-3% raises when I'd helped lead a great turnaround in a product line.

I continued to work my hardest and deliver, but I did start looking elsewhere. At first it was with a little effort, but then something interesting fell in my lap and I pursued it. I ended up getting a 17% raise, a substantial signing bonus and a better raise/bonus system from my previous company.

If something rubs you wrong, YOU are the one who has to effect change.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well I think it comes with having a good work ethic and loyalty to an employer. I've always put in a lot more time than my counterparts because I couldn't stand to see a job not finished. It never used to "pay" with many of the companies I worked for - at least in the short term. Where I've been these last many years it has paid off financially. I guess I don't have any easy answers for you. I have made a lot of connections over the years that have been beneficial, and managed to keep my nose clean in an industry where not many have and that has been beneficial too. I have quit jobs that I could see were going nowhere and that's sometimes a difficult call to make. One thing you might consider is fabrication on your own - I see some being quite successful in that. and you might IM me if you would like a contact in the Mt Angel area. I don't know that he is hiring, but he may be a good person to network with.
View Quote

My buddy Mike did that.  He was Facilities maintenance at a Target store making crappy money, but he started doing fab work in his garage.  He did some bumpers, was building a desert racing buggy and a bunch of other stuff.  They he built himself a small plasma table.  After awhile I kept hammering on him to quit target and go Full time with his business.  That was roughly 2-3yrs ago.  Now he has a CNC Mill, CNC Lathe, CNC plasma table, CNC Press brake, $12k welder, and all kinds of jobs.  He even had to hire 3 people to help him with a huge order for a bunch of stainless work for a restaurant chain.  I am probably going to start working for him as a contract CNC programmer/button pusher.  We might even eventually move all of our CNC Machines into a 2nd shop and really get busy.  If you can start small you never know where you could end up.  It's a lot of hard work and would take time, but if you can find a niche you might be able to do quite well with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top