Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2015 3:25:47 AM EDT
There's a job there I may apply for...but what's it like living out there and how are the job prospects in the medical-admin industry (wife works for Kaiser, she's a certified health info technologist)? County/city gov OK? COL issues? anti 2A shit etc are my primary concerns. Job is at Google...
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice little town. 12k people last I new. Conservative people for the most part. People like their guns, fishing and 4x4s  One hospital and a va home also.I have family that lives their and I visit once a month or so.
I would move back if I could find a good job. I like it.
Need to know more specific things just ask.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've lived in The Dalles for the last 10 years.

I like it out here but the taxes are very high.  

As far as medical administration goes, there's a small hospital out here but I no longer operate there or have anything to do with them and I suggest you avoid them also.  There are very few independent medical practices and one freestanding ambulatory surgical center.  

The local government is going through a bit of a shake up right now but it's too early to tell how big it will be.  

Sheriff is sign-off friendly.

There's a handful of gun guys, some of us have guns with happy switches.

Within the next year we should have a real range right across the river in Dallesport.  

If you want to know more PM me and we can talk
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had family there since the 1930s, wheat farmers and now wind. It's a decent little town, but you have to be ready to be cut off from Portland in the winter with no notice. I-84 likes to turn into a hockey rink.

If you're good with being self-sustaining and in a small town, it's nice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
MCMC is the local hospital and is getting bought out by OHSU so there is a change going on there.

Google is completing a big expansion and the town and county stand to make some tax revenue from that. Little bit of an uproar over the deal that was struck there but its kinda died down.

Our property taxes are stupid high, second highest in the state I believe. Our water and sewer cost quite a bit as well. Power is relatively cheap.  Fuel costs a bit more then some places, less then others. Groceries seem to be pretty on par with Portland.

The sheriff signs off on Nfa no issue and if you like to hunt and fish there is plenty of that around.

If you have young kids look at St. Marrys.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I like it enough that I chose to retire here.  Safe enough that my wife and I offen walk the dogs in town after dark (you can't do that in many places).  I like to shoot, hunt and ride motorcycles this is why I'm here.  We have one real gun shop, some big box stores, even heard walmart might build here.  Free in town Internet.  I like it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top