Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2015 3:18:22 AM EDT
link
Posted in GD, nobody cared to comment.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
What I don't get is why Washington got to vote on the new law and we just got it handed to us in Oregon? I'm pretty sure if we were able to vote on it here it wouldn't have passed
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly, they wanted it so we must want it. That and the bloomberg money, I'm surprised they didn't just come out and say next year they are implementing mandatory registration.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What I don't get is why Washington got to vote on the new law and we just got it handed to us in Oregon? I'm pretty sure if we were able to vote on it here it wouldn't have passed
View Quote

Your question answers itself.  We didn't get to vote on it because they had a much better chance to pass it at the legislative level than at the ballot box, and the groups pushing this knew it.  

That article is surprisingly near the middle of the road for the Register Tard.  It did fail to point out that the Secretary of State, who made the decision of which signatures were tossed out, is no fan of gun rights however.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was an emergency.

The fucking legislative branch does not work. Or maybe it does- and their illegal, underhanded approach and views on statism DO represent the vast majority of the people. Which is worse?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#5]
These stood out to me;
“We are seeing it again and again, that this is actually a winning issue and you can vote to protect the American public and make the American public safe, and your political career will flourish,” 
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine from douglas county, Oregon told me decades ago what power there is in the media, how often those words have echoed in my ears as I see uninformed voters making poor choices, and irresponsible media taking us so very far from the principles of freedom upon which this nation was founded.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]
"But organizers of a recall targeting the bill’s primary sponsor, Prozanksi, collected more than 10,000 signatures. Last week, state elections officials ruled that 15 percent or more were invalid, and that organizers fell about 200 signatures short of requiring Prozanski to either resign or face a recall election."
Is there any oversight of the "state election officials"? Transparency?
I know one time my dad voted in lane county and like a week after the election he gets his ballot back in the mail saying the signature dosen't match. Oh, guess what, my dad's a republican.
I wouldn't trust these people as far as I could throw them. All the shit you used to hear about how corrupt Mexico and Russia were... it's all here in America today.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"But organizers of a recall targeting the bill’s primary sponsor, Prozanksi, collected more than 10,000 signatures. Last week, state elections officials ruled that 15 percent or more were invalid, and that organizers fell about 200 signatures short of requiring Prozanski to either resign or face a recall election."
Is there any oversight of the "state election officials"? Transparency?
I know one time my dad voted in lane county and like a week after the election he gets his ballot back in the mail saying the signature dosen't match. Oh, guess what, my dad's a republican.
I wouldn't trust these people as far as I could throw them. All the shit you used to hear about how corrupt Mexico and Russia were... it's all here in America today.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that if the returned ballot incident occurred within the last decade, that our current governor was the Secretary of State at the time.

ETA: Any oversight would likely be performed by others who completely agree with the SoS returning ballots and declaring an arbitrary number of signatures invalid on ballot initiatives.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe if 10K is required you need to collect 20K and then they'd have to claim 50% are invalid.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe if 10K is required you need to collect 20K and then they'd have to claim 50% are invalid.
View Quote

Agree they need to take another run at it, and this time get twice the number of signatures. It will take a lot of hard work, and expense, but worth the effort.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These stood out to me;
“We are seeing it again and again, that this is actually a winning issue and you can vote to protect the American public and make the American public safe, and your political career will flourish,” 
View Quote

don't forget 'free' shit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top