Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2015 4:38:12 AM EDT
Hi up there Oregon!

My oldest son and his girlfriend are vacationing in Portland this coming week, before they head to Seattle for the second leg of their vacation. He has flight's booked, but found that hotels in city center of Portland are a bit out of his price range.

Can any locals there suggest a nearby area to book a hotel, that might be more reasonable? They plan on getting a rental car, so 15 miles in any direction wouldn't be a big deal. Any other local advice would be welcome as well.

Thanks so much!

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]
unless he brought guns, head west.

the beaverton area would be the best suggestion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Tualitan wouldn't be a bad spot. Just a couple miles to downtown. Good restaurants and walking. Cabelas. Etc.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:33:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tualitan wouldn't be a bad spot. Just a couple miles to downtown. Good restaurants and walking. Cabelas. Etc.
View Quote

Thanks so much! Neither of them have ever been there, and are taking this vacation time to explore some fun, and cool areas.

They aren't re-locating, just traveling, and seeing sights while young.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Stay the hell away from the eastside unless they like it a little "grittier"

Westside would be my suggestion as well.

Beaverton, Hillsboro, Tualitin, Aloha
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Stay the hell away from the eastside unless they like it a little "grittier"

Westside would be my suggestion as well.

Beaverton, Hillsboro, Tualitin, Aloha
View Quote

True but some of the best food spots are on that side which sucks.

Tell them to hit up the food carts downtown while exploring. The waterfront is a nice walk.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Check into the Mcmennamins Crystal Hotel. Neat hotel right in downtown for about $95 a night. Mcmennamins hotels are more rustic and have shared bathrooms on each floor, which isn't bad at all. It's like staying in a college dorm but with a cooler feel . Mcmennamins are definitely a unique experience (in a good way).
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check into the Mcmennamins Crystal Hotel. Neat hotel right in downtown for about $95 a night. Mcmennamins hotels are more rustic and have shared bathrooms on each floor, which isn't bad at all. It's like staying in a college dorm but with a cooler feel . Mcmennamins are definitely a unique experience (in a good way).
View Quote

Thanks again, and thanks to all the posts above. I'll share this thread with my son, and I hope he and his probable wife for life will enjoy their vacation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top